Speaker isolation - An eye (ear!) opener

Posted by: Alan Willby on 12 December 2017

When I extended my main living (listening) room last year I went for a stone floor over a thickly insulated suspended concrete floor with the screed layer containing a piped underfloor heating system. I previously had carpet over a standard suspended concrete floor and my PMC GB1i's were fixed with spikes as is the norm. I sort of expected that with this much harder and reflective floor the sound I was used to (and liked) would change. It was one of the reasons why I changed from my PMC's as I felt that with their bottom positioned front firing transmission line there might be some bass 'boom'. I went for Kef Reference 1's on their dedicated stands with spikes and floor protection cups. I have been delighted with them - but with a few bass heavy CD's (Neil Young's Prairie Wind being the worst offender for some reason) I was suffering 'boom' that had not been evident before. Now there is no doubt that the Kef's push out more bass - but I was on the look out for a solution. Anyway I have found it with IsoAcoustics Gaia isolation feet - the III model in my case. Not only have they cured the 'boom' but they have opened up the sound stage and increased the level of detail and separation (particularly in the bass registers) that can be heard. Can only think that the drivers are no longer being affected by energy bouncing back up through the stands from the floor and so are more able to perform as designed. Perhaps there is less energy finding its way into the equipment rack as well - who knows. Who cares - it's an ear opener. I was always convinced that speakers almost needed to be bolted to the floor so that the drivers could give their best - but these isolation feet suggest differently.

They might not work for all speakers or all floors/rooms - but from what I have heard I think an isolation solution is worthy of consideration. Mine are not going back.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi FT.

And the Gaias are definitely staying under my Facts as their new shoes too ???????? ATB Peter

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Folkman

Having previously played with different types of homemade isolation under my Rega Isis cd player with varying results both good and bad , I then set up a wheelbarrow tube / platform setup. Quite an ear opener. Tried removing and replacing it a few times and it was clearly the way forward.  One thing to note is that the air pressure in the tube changed its effectiveness. Too much pressure was just as bad as too  little.

After a bit of research I  ended up ordering a Townshend Seismic platform.  This works just as well/better and much better visually. Due to the design of the isolation pods , their freedom of movement , care has to be taken to get the pods aligned and bouncing evenly when ever the platform is moved. Benefits include a tightening and better definition of the bass , improved dynamics yet easier on the ear , increased openness.

As that left the tube/platform free I just had to try it under my Rega Osiris , lets just say I now have another Townshend platform on order !

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by MDS

Back in the Autumn I had considerable success with Quadraspire QPLUS Reference interfaces. I tried one set under my 552 which worked sufficiently well that I tried some more under other black boxes. I ended up with four sets.  Not cheap though. Here's a pic of one:

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by RaceTripper

Between the isoAcoustic Gaia feet under my turntable and speakers, and the Naim Fraim for all my gear I think I have isolation pretty well sorted out.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Jonners

Spurred on by the merits of glass in another Forum topic I recently bought a piece of 10mm glass, 3 Naim cups and balls for the grand price of about £95 and installed them under my CDX2 and blimey, the effect was not subtle, a definite positive tweak. Reading the posts on this Topic I'm intrigued enough to have a play with the rest of my system starting with the speakers which are on stands. So, dear Forum members, if I were to look at products like the Gaia isolation feet for example, how are they best used, presumably in place of the spikes under the stands? Any particular model recommended?

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by DrPo
RaceTripper posted:

I am using the Gaia II with my Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum. They do deliver. 

Here's an unconventional use: I just got a single set of the Gaia III and am using three os them in place of the spikes under my Clearaudio Ovation TT. I unscrewed the spikes from the feet and screwed in the Gaia feet. So far they have helped refine the soundstage, espcially for orchestral music, and they are doing a better job of isolating some rumble issues I have with a few recordings.

I am currently trying the Gaia II in place of the VCF II Magnetic feet under my Audio Physic Virgo 25+ speakers. Not 100% sure they are better (I got them specifcally to reduce bass bloom but don’t hear a significant difference in that area) but having recently upgraded to an Ovation I will certainly try that trick too! 

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Jonners

The Gaia speaker isolation feet are purely numbered ( III,II,I) depending on what weight the have to carry. III is say up to 35 kg and so forth and the more weight they will have to withstand the more expensive they get. I got a set of IIIs in the Black Friday sale for £ 300,- for my feather light Fact 12s. Try them, in my case they certainly did the job with a suspended floor. ATB Peter

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Graham Russell

Adding Stillpoint Ultra 5s under my speakers was incredible. Much more detail, imaging and musicality. Bonkers, but that's part of the fun of our hobby.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by French Rooster

i have finite elemente cerabases under my speakers, with great results.  Finite elemente cerapucks under my fraimlite.  Tried these cerapucks under naim components or my preamp, but didn’t like the results:  some brightness. 

under my rega p8, i have 5cm of granite platform and the feets are the rega rigid feets: very nice match too.

I will have to find some good isolation tweaks to go under my tube preamp.  Perhaps hrs or townsend pods.  

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Bailyhill
Folkman posted:

Having previously played with different types of homemade isolation under my Rega Isis cd player with varying results both good and bad , I then set up a wheelbarrow tube / platform setup. Quite an ear opener. Tried removing and replacing it a few times and it was clearly the way forward.  One thing to note is that the air pressure in the tube changed its effectiveness. Too much pressure was just as bad as too  little.

After a bit of research I  ended up ordering a Townshend Seismic platform.  This works just as well/better and much better visually. Due to the design of the isolation pods , their freedom of movement , care has to be taken to get the pods aligned and bouncing evenly when ever the platform is moved. Benefits include a tightening and better definition of the bass , improved dynamics yet easier on the ear , increased openness.

As that left the tube/platform free I just had to try it under my Rega Osiris , lets just say I now have another Townshend platform on order !

I bought a Townshend Podium, size 4 for my speakers.  They passed the look test and actually my wife quite likes how they look.  Speakers were 140 pounds each, so was dubious about isolating them.  Well it worked quite a lot.  The purity of the tonality was substantially improved.  Subtle but definite effect.  The more I listen, the better the perceived improvement.  I am very happy with them.  Max Townshend knows what he is doing--his autotransformer preamps are stunning.  I have the DC47.  Going to buy his IC cables next.  Went with the Fraim for rack choice.  

Bailyhill

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Jonners
Graham Russell posted:

Adding Stillpoint Ultra 5s under my speakers was incredible. Much more detail, imaging and musicality. Bonkers, but that's part of the fun of our hobby.

Er, aren't these like £1800 a set? Were they worth it,

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Bart

I can imagine that more speaker companies will start doing their own. Magico has isolators for many of their models now.  

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by RaceTripper
DrPo posted:
RaceTripper posted:

I am using the Gaia II with my Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum. They do deliver. 

Here's an unconventional use: I just got a single set of the Gaia III and am using three os them in place of the spikes under my Clearaudio Ovation TT. I unscrewed the spikes from the feet and screwed in the Gaia feet. So far they have helped refine the soundstage, espcially for orchestral music, and they are doing a better job of isolating some rumble issues I have with a few recordings.

I am currently trying the Gaia II in place of the VCF II Magnetic feet under my Audio Physic Virgo 25+ speakers. Not 100% sure they are better (I got them specifcally to reduce bass bloom but don’t hear a significant difference in that area) but having recently upgraded to an Ovation I will certainly try that trick too! 

I have the Gaia III for my Ovation, but I'm also trying a set of isoAcoustics Orea Indigo. They look better but are bit more of a hassle to get positioned exactly, since they don't screw into the base like the Gaia do. I'm trying to figure out if either sound better. I don't think so yet, but the Orea *might* have a slight edge.

What arm and cartridge are you getting with your Ovation? I just upgraded to the Universal. It's fantastic and far beyond any expectation I had for it.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by DrPo

@RaceTripper: Magnify arm with Titanium cartridge. End game for me when it comes to the analogue source. 

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by Graham Russell
Jonners posted:
Graham Russell posted:

Er, aren't these like £1800 a set? Were they worth it,

In my system yes they were.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by RaceTripper
DrPo posted:

@RaceTripper: Magnify arm with Titanium cartridge. End game for me when it comes to the analogue source. 

Nice!

The Magnify arm I had was most of the source of my problem with woofer pumping (i.e. LF rumble). It's the magnetic bearing, and it doesn't work for everyone. I gave it a go and it took me a while to realize that was the real problem. Musical Surroundings (the Clearaudio US distributor) took the arm back in a trade up to the Universal, which not only resolves the issue completely but is night and day better in every way. I wasn't expecting how much much better the Universal is but it's really on a whole different level. You should get a demo if you can.

I'm using a Concerto V2 and plan to upgrade in 2019, maybe to a Stradivari V2.

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by DrPo

Apologies to the OP for the off topic post.

@RaceTripper: very interesting! Definitely will check it out.  Went from Stradivari to DaVinci to Titanium thanks to the full price trade in policy of Clearaudio within 2 years of purchase... but find the whole set up very silent so far...on the other hand it might not be a coincidence that Clearudio went back to a classic bearing design with the newest tomearm. 

Posted on: 27 December 2018 by RaceTripper
DrPo posted:

Apologies to the OP for the off topic post.

@RaceTripper: very interesting! Definitely will check it out.  Went from Stradivari to DaVinci to Titanium thanks to the full price trade in policy of Clearaudio within 2 years of purchase... but find the whole set up very silent so far...on the other hand it might not be a coincidence that Clearudio went back to a classic bearing design with the newest tomearm. 

My dealer won't sell the magnetic bearing arms anymore. Too many problems with rumble. The ball bearings work better for most applications. I was told the magnetic bearing arms work better in Europe/Uk with older stone houses, but not so well with the frame and brick houses common in the US. I'm in a 90 year old brick home. With the springy floors I can only use a wall bracket and even then the magnetic bearings caused problems, all alleviated by the mechanical bearings of the arm I have now. One of things that makes the Universal so more expensive is the precision ball bearings it uses, so I'm told.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Monkey Jim

I have put ISO Acoustics’ Gaia 3s under the stands of my DeVore Fidelity 3XL monitors. I wasn’t expecting a huge improvement, as I thought the big benefits would come only if they were attached to the speakers themselves, but I would echo all the comments above regarding improvements to the bass , sound staging and overall musical flow, even when attached to the stands. For me the difference was enormous, especially bearing in mind the cost. I have experimented with Stillpoints in the past (Ultra SS I believe) which also make a positive difference, but I didn’t think they were as good as the Gaias and they are nearly triple the price.

????

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by nigelb

So Monkee, you could say, 'now I'm a believer...'. 

A joke I nicked from another post.

I'll get me coat.