What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XIV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2017

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...sted-vol-xiii?page=, 

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by patk

(2017) CD  

Went a little overboard with the 'add to cart' last year.  So starting the year off with new listens. 

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Pcd

(2017) CD

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by spurrier sucks

Gregg Allman-Southern Blood

first listen of the year and first listen to this. Very good. 

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Jeff Anderson
patk posted:

(2017) CD  

Went a little overboard with the 'add to cart' last year.  So starting the year off with new listens. 

Hi Pat, hope you and yours are well.  If you enjoy Olivia Chaney and by chance aren't aware, an album was released this year (actually last year) by Olivia and The Decemberists under the band name "Offa Rex".  Worth a listen.  regards, Jeff A

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by seakayaker

Now Playing.....

Jan Garbarek w/ The Hilliard Ensemble - Officium

Jan Garbarek w/The Hilliard Ensemble - Officium 

Streaming on NAS........ Opening the New Year with something uplifting and slow paced after having a lovely sleep in this holiday morning.....   Happy New Year!

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Jeroen20

Dave Brubeck - The 40th anniversary tour of the U.K.

Allmusic.com:

Forty years after his classic quartet's first triumphant tour of the U.K. in 1958, Dave Brubeck took his then current group back for an anniversary visit, playing a mixed bag of old and new songs for fans both old and new. This time out, Brubeck's working quartet included two British natives, drummer Randy Jones and bassist Alec Dankworth (the son of British jazz superstars Cleo Laine and John Dankworth). Brubeck himself was the obvious draw for the crowds, but it's saxman Bobby Militellowho is truly the musical star of the show. The highly regarded Militello shows he can roam across the entire spectrum of alto saxophone tonality, employing a light, delicate tone à la Paul Desmond one minute, then bearing down for some gritty, deep-throated improvisations the next. Brubeck's unmistakable pianism remains as identifiable as ever, comping and soloing with the same energy he undoubtedly had 40 years earlier. "Goodbye Old Friend," his solo farewell to friend Gerry Mulligan, is beautiful. The new material is more interesting than the older stuff, with Brubeck's tango "The Time of Our Madness" and blues-inflected "Oh You Can Run (But You Can't Hide)" particular standouts. However, Militello enlivens even the old warhorse "I Got Rhythm," and Brubeck himself digs fresh ideas out of "Deep Purple."

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Tony2011

2016 - Vinyl...

Now Playing........

Jan Garbarek - Wayfarer

Jan Garbarek - Wayfarer

Jan Garbarek (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone), Michael DiPasqua (drums, percussion), Bill Frisell (guitar), and Eberhard Weber (bass)

Streaming on TIDAL........  A great quartet playing fantastic music, wonderful album!

Note on TIDL: Jan Garbarek's 1983 release, WAYFARER, is characterized by ethereal soundscapes, spacious ensemble playing, and post-Coltrane licks combined with Nordic folk music. Featuring the gifted, idiosyncratic guitarist Bill Frisell and longtime associate Eberhard Weber on bass, this album bears a distinct resemblance to Garbarek's PATHS, PRINTS, which was released only a couple of years earlier. The major difference between the two albums is the presence of Michael DiPasqua on drums, rather than John Christensen. While the compositions on WAYFARER are played with a little more gusto, we hear the same general approach to the quartet setting here. Garbarek's playing is marked by long, mournful phrases, and his group rarely falls into any groove. Then again, grooves aren't the point with this kind of jazz. Garbarek's goal is to create playful interaction through experiments with tone color, rhythm, and a variety of musical textures, heard best on the exquisitely lopsided, "Pendulum" and on the vibrant title track.

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Redkev

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by ewemon

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by MDS

Good idea, ewemon.  A listen to some Norah is just the ticket.

Just Finishing.........

John Mellencamp - Plain Spoken

John Mellencamp - Plain Spoken

John Mellencamp (vocals), John Gunnell (bass), Dane Clark (drums), Mike Wanchic (acoustic guitar, electric guitar), Andy York (acoustic guitar, electric guitar), T-Bone Burnett (electric guitar), Troye Kinnett (keyboards), and Miriam Sturm (violin)

Streaming on TIDAL.......    A mention from JOERAND last evening had me place this in the TIDAL queue and took John out for a spin. I enjoy John's music quite a bit......

Now Playing.........

Fink - Hard Believer

Fink - Hard Believer

Streaming on NAS.......     Just time for some Fink, a great day for music!

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZiDpoB-qw4

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Ivo B

Anna Maria Jopek 

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Ardbeg10y

I've been working this evening - debugging some scripts. I've given myself this as a present (how sad):

Tomorrow, when my wife is to work I'll check if there is a corner in my house where the bass can't be felt.

(2017) CD

Breaking my rule already.  Listened to this a few days ago and really just love the way these women harmonize.  Beautiful voices.  

Jeff Anderson posted:
patk posted:

(2017) CD  

Hi Pat, hope you and yours are well.  If you enjoy Olivia Chaney and by chance aren't aware, an album was released this year (actually last year) by Olivia and The Decemberists under the band name "Offa Rex".  Worth a listen.  regards, Jeff A

Hi Jeff,

We are well, thank you.  I hope you are too.  I do enjoy Olivia Chaney.  I looked for other albums and noted she was with Offa Rex.  Which I have, but haven't listened to yet.     It will make it's way to the player shortly.  

Thanks for the recommendation and best wishes.  

-pat

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Bert Schurink

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by ALANP

Happy New Year everyone

Playing tonight on cd

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me -chosen before reading the current new thread !

Roxy Music - Flesh + Blood

Van Morrison -Too Long in Exile

Wes Montgomery - Goin Out of my Head

Ike Quebec -Soul Samba

Regards

Alan

Posted on: 01 January 2018 by Christopher_M

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Who Built The Moon?

My nephew, Dom, has hit the spot musically. This cold Moretti is doing the same but differently after a shift.

We have a kinda parth thing going on in the house at the moment.

Just finished......

Aldous Harding - Party

Aldous Harding - Party

Streamed on TIDAL........ I had placed this in the queue yesterday at the mention of REDKEV and took Aldous out for a spin.