Vinyl Reissues: Sorting Wheat from Chaff.

Posted by: kevin J Carden on 21 June 2018

Many Vinyl-using forum contributors have highlighted the highly varied and rather inconsistent quality of many Classic Album Vinyl reissues. I’m thinking there should be value in starting a thread where folk can highlight the ones that they’ve found to be particularly good. I’d certainly find this enormously helpful. Hopefully, others might too.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Some of the most recent vinyl reissues that have been really impressive;

Neil Young - Zuma.

I didn't buy this reissue straight away.  I have a couple of original Uk issues and I thought they sounded pretty darn good.  Good that is until I bit the bullet and bought this reissue from Neil's Archive Official Release Series.  Cut from analog masters by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering and pressed at Pallas.  You get the textured sleeve as well as the illustrated card inner.  The LP itself comes in it's own paper inner sleeve, but why, oh why, after taking so much care, is the inner just paper, without an anti-static liner?  Still, can't complain too much.  This one is inexpensive, and sounds FABULOUS - probably the best so far from the ORS Archive series.

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Daylight Again.

Yowzer - another great sounding reissue and another one cut by Chris Bellman from the original analog masters (I'm detecting a pattern here). The pressing is not quite up to the standard of the CSN reissue - it's very slightly off-centre, not enough though to reject, but not absolutely perfect either, and there are one or two sleeve scuffs and tics on this brand new copy. However, while I don't have my original any more, this fills the gap very nicely indeed.

Stephen Stills - Manassas.

I gave my UK issue away it was so disappointing compared to the HDCD CD reissue of over a decade ago. So it was with some trepidation that I put down the £30 needed to get this US Rhino double album reissue from 2010.  I shouldn't have worried though.  The album itself was always designed for four sides of vinyl, and the sound quality here is top notch.  Cut by Bernie Grundman and I would guess pressed at Pallas (it's a perfect pressing), this is lovely.

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead & American Beauty.

Fantastic sounding reissues from Rhino, and not expensive either. American Beauty is perhaps marginally the superior of the two, but not to have both would be ridiculous. Essential, even if you're not sure you like the Grateful Dead.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Tony2011

Great selection there, Mr D.

Although not one for remasters, I do enjoy reading your observations.

Posted on: 03 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

Abbey Road Half Speed remasters have been a mixed bag for me the Marvin Gaye - What's Going On 3LP box set was good in parts average in others and the Amy Winehouse - Back in Black double LP was no improvement at all (although I haven't listened to the live recording yet) and will need a good clean before I play it again as in some sections I had to check there wasn't dust on the needle. 

Yesterday I recieved The Who - Live at Leeds 3LP remaster that I have very high hopes for and but am pretty aprehensive about playing TBH, this along with Quarophenia was my most played rock LP as a youngster and I only bought this version as it was a Black Friday purchase £21.99 I have been on the lookout for a reasonably priced 1st press so I don't want to be disappointed in the same way I as with the Amy Winehouse.

My other half is on a night shift tomorrow night and as it's not her cup of tea at all  I will take the oppurtunity have a listen. Is there a better live rock LP or a better live rock track than Young Man Blues? Daltrey's voice is absolutely spot on and the band in between Tommy and Quadrophenia were something else IMO.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Bob, how was the Abbey Road Half speed reissue of Live at Leeds?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Really impressed by this one.  Aretha's Gold on 2 x 45rpm LP from Mobile Fidelity. 

Yes, some of the source material is a little rough around the edges as you might expect, but the clarity and sense of life to this one will get your body moving - even if only to get up and turn the LPs over thanks to fairly short playing times on each side...

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by kevin J Carden

Stand up (again) Richard Dane for this recommendation of the Bernie Grundman remaster/ Pallas cut of Love over Gold. Truly a revelation after 35years acquaintance with this music!

I’d always struggled with side 2. I play guitar and have the sheet music for this album. The last 2 tracks, Love over Gold & It never rains are clearly lovely, well crafted music, but the album versions left me a bit cold. With this Grundman/Pallas version it finally makes sense to me. It’s still an overproduced album, but it now works and I can enjoy all of it (OK, Industrial Disease is still a push!) rather than just side 1. 

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Pleased to hear you like it Kevin.  It'll be interesting to hear what MFSL do with it when their reissue is released.  However, I do balk slightly at the thought of yet another copy of Love Over Gold...

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Tony2011
Richard Dane posted:

Pleased to hear you like it Kevin.  It'll be interesting to hear what MFSL do with it when their reissue is released.  However, I do balk slightly at the thought of yet another copy of Love Over Gold...