Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by Tabby cat

Well happy with City's performance with Newcastle.Suprised Sane didn't even make the bench.Kyle Walkers goal was great and so nice for him to get a goal in 3 seasons and get the 3 points.I bet he was cloud nine in the dressing room.David Silva was superb running the midfield with a 85 % pass completion rate.

http://e2.365dm.com/18/09/16-9/20/skysports-kyle-walker-manchester-city_4408423.jpg?20180901185216http://e1.365dm.com/18/09/16-9/20/skysports-raheem-sterling-manchester-city_4408288.jpg?20180901174456

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by MDS

The Walker goal was a cracker.  He doesn't get many so he must have been bouncing round the dressing room after the game.   

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by wenger2015

A good win for the Arsenal..... the Lacazette..Aubameyang partnership looks like it could work well.....

I do think our goalkeeper is becoming a liability....seems to have two left feet

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Yes it's another win.  Torreira should start the next game in place of Xhaka and Bernd Leno should be given a chance ahead of Cech whose terrible footwork was only out down by the £90 million Allison at Liverpool whose Cruyff turn unfortunately didn't come off for him.

Posted on: 02 September 2018 by wenger2015

Agree with giving Leno a chance, Cech just can’t play the ball out as he is being asked to do...Can’t be that difficult....

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Christopher_M

'Sweeper-keeper' seems very much in vogue.

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by Wugged Woy

Well done my mighty Spurs.

We took a beating from Watford, but.....

we played so pretty whilst doing it............. (sarcasm button pressed).

Think Poch needs to kick some ass.

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by wenger2015

The Spurs have had a good start to the season, i don’t think they deserved to lose yesterday.... maybe they were a little complacent.... it often happens after winning a big game, as they did against Man Utd last week 

Wugged Woy posted:

Meanwhile, I like Spurs' Instagram feed very much.

Posted on: 03 September 2018 by MDS
Christopher_M posted:
Wugged Woy posted:

Meanwhile, I like Spurs' Instagram feed very much.

What's with the selfie avatar then, Chris?  

MDS posted:

What's with the selfie avatar then, Chris?  

As you know Mike, I'm far from an early adopter but in the end I thought, 'Oh Y not!'

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Mike Hughes

Weird season gets weirder. Saw my second great 0-0 of the season last night and an entirely content crowd of home and away fans wholly agree it was an entertaining game abd a Gary result. Both my team and Halifax will be up there come the business end of the season.

Posted on: 08 September 2018 by JamieWednesday

Speaking of weird.

John Terry signs for Spartak Moscow????

Posted on: 08 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Unfortunately because of my injured foot I couldn't attend the Arsenal v Real Madrid Legends  charity match this afternoon but watched it at Arsenal.com.  David Suker at 50 and looking a bit like Peter Kay still has a deft touch and flashes of brilliance as did Raul for Real, Claude Makelele still has it and is the player Kante most reminds me of.

Anyway great fun 0-0 at full time Arsenal win on penalties with Jens Lehman both saving and scoring one the match raised money for the fantastic projects that the Arsenal foundation funds like the 'Coaching for Life' programme that Per Mertesacker opened at the Za' atari refugee camp in Jordan for the children displaced by the Syrian conflict.

Great work Arsenal.

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by Mike Hughes

Another day another win. Best start since 11/12 when we became the team which scored 98 points and still didn’t get promoted.

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by Christopher_M

Is it just me or can anyone else not wait for the Prem to restart next weekend, and this nonsense be done with!

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by MDS

Is that what happened to those underpants, Chris? You threw them at the TV in frustration? 

M

I'm a radio man. Better pictures.

You and I had a bit of fun with the pants but not everyone here saw it that way. In the end, I just couldn't be arsed.

Christopher_M posted:

You and I had a bit of fun with the pants but not everyone here saw it that way. In the end, I just couldn't be arsed.

You're a tease, Chris, as I know I am.  

Um, Kenny Jackett not that pleased with your lot in you salvaging a late draw at home to Shrews, according to local print media....

Christopher_M posted:

Um, Kenny Jackett not that pleased with your lot in you salvaging a late draw at home to Shrews, according to local print media....

No, and rightly so.  We were missing a few, including the very exciting Ronan Curtis who has started the season on fire, but we laboured and were lucky to get a point.  That said we're still undefeated, so I can't complain. Next Saturday will be a big one: away to Peterborough so top v second.  If we come through that undefeated I really will get excited!

MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

No, and rightly so.  We were missing a few, including the very exciting Ronan Curtis who has started the season on fire, but we laboured and were lucky to get a point.  That said we're still undefeated, so I can't complain. Next Saturday will be a big one: away to Peterborough so top v second.  If we come through that undefeated I really will get excited!

Good stuff. Hopefully you will have Brett Pitman back too.

Christopher_M posted:
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Good stuff. Hopefully you will have Brett Pitman back too.

Actually he's been available since the season started but at the moment can't keep his place in the team and either has been subbed or has started from the bench. He's grumpy about it, of course. Still he scored on Tuesday night and yesterday so hopefully his goal-scoring form is returning.  

Meant to say to you, Mike, I met Crouchie in Commercial Rd on Saturday before the game. Nicest man in football.