Albums which blew you away on first play.

Posted by: dave marshall on 16 August 2018

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced.

I've just mentioned this album over on the "University" topic, and I can still remember bringing it home from the record shop and  

being absolutely gobsmacked, hearing it for the first time.

I'd never heard anything remotely like it before, and to say that the first listening was jaw dropping would be an understatement

indeed.

So, what album had a similar effect on you, the memory of which has stayed with you till this day?

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Quad 33

After the first Beatles album, Led Zeppelin II, this album really blew my 1973 younger self's socks off...

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Bert Schurink
Mike Sullivan posted:

Rediscovering my collection, always a good sign from an upgrade. Remembered this beauty, pretty epic mix of hard rock and melody with huge rhythm and tempo changes.

Also superb lyrics on this one, also one of my favorite ones.

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by mrCardoso
dave marshall posted:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced.

I've just mentioned this album over on the "University" topic, and I can still remember bringing it home from the record shop and  

being absolutely gobsmacked, hearing it for the first time.

I'd never heard anything remotely like it before, and to say that the first listening was jaw dropping would be an understatement

indeed.

So, what album had a similar effect on you, the memory of which has stayed with you till this day?

THIS!! ^^

Posted on: 07 September 2018 by Bert Schurink

A stunning concept album.....saw these guys first as pre-act for Porcupine Tree I belief it was, they where more impressive than the main act that evening....

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by dave marshall

The Cult - Love.

I previously posted Jimi's first album, which seems to have had a similar "wow" effect on not a few forum members.

Well, maybe not quite to the same extent as that milestone, but this from The Cult was, for me, quite a "wow' moment too, as it

seemed to cut through much of the turgid music otherwise around at the time, and Astbury's voice and Billy Duffy's spectral guitar are

just made for each other ................... a classic album from the '80's

Saw them in Leeds 2/3 years ago, and the magic is still there.

Posted on: 09 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

The first two sides of Miles Davis - Circle in the Round which I heard for the first time tonight and it blew me away.

Posted on: 10 September 2018 by mrCardoso
Bert Schurink posted:

A stunning concept album.....saw these guys first as pre-act for Porcupine Tree I belief it was, they where more impressive than the main act that evening....

The pick  of the day.  Going to find out...

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Salmon Dave

See the source image

Posted on: 11 September 2018 by Salmon Dave

See the source image

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by wenger2015

One of the best albums of all time 

Posted on: 21 September 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/674/MI0000674673.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

At that impressionable age and time when there was so much stuff available to blow minds both past, present and future.   Looking back this still blows.

Posted on: 22 September 2018 by wenger2015
TOBYJUG posted:

https://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/674/MI0000674673.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

At that impressionable age and time when there was so much stuff available to blow minds both past, present and future.   Looking back this still blows.

Now this is an album I have never come across before, I’m intrigued 

Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Kiwi cat

In 1975 Elton John and Fleetwood Mac were big stars, but my favourite album was this one by Steeleye Span. I was probably the only one in my school who had bought it. Little Sir Hugh and other olde folk songs just rocked. Great album from beginning to end and a refreshing change from mid 70s orthodoxy.

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by ianrobertm

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by lutyens

This. That opening loping guitar on the first track and I was completely in awe.

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by wenger2015
lutyens posted:

This. That opening loping guitar on the first track and I was completely in awe.

Another album I have not come across before.... will have to investigate 

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by nickpeacock

Happy Mondays - Pills’nThrills’n’Bellyaches

Not a duff note on this. Rhythm section tighter than a gnat’s rear end. Shaun Ryder a demented shaman, twisting the melons of the second summer of love. Played it. Practically fainted. Played it again and again. Just about perfect.

Posted on: 25 September 2018 by nickpeacock

The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic 

When this, their first album, came out, The Sundays felt very special. There was a fragility to Harriet’s voice which sent shivers through me. I saw them live at the time and the whole venue was completely silent in awestruck wonder. Oh, and John Peel played ‘Here’s Where The Story Ends’ as a farewell to John Walters on their last show together. That’s how damn good this music is.

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Bart
blythe posted:

Relayer by Yes.
However, these days it doesn't hit the spot in the same way... Funny that..

I agree! I still love Yes, but honestly Relayer doesn't really get played any more - I typically go to Fragile, Tales, Close to the Edge or The Yes Album.  

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Clive B
Bart posted:
blythe posted:

Relayer by Yes.
However, these days it doesn't hit the spot in the same way... Funny that..

I agree! I still love Yes, but honestly Relayer doesn't really get played any more - I typically go to Fragile, Tales, Close to the Edge or The Yes Album.  

Give it time. It's much the same for me, but I'm sure it'll come back and grab you. It is a brilliant album, up there with all those mentioned above. One day you'll be minding your own business and suddenly the chaos of the battle from Gates will pop into your head, or it'll be the attack in the opening of Sound Chaser, or even the tranquility of Soon. Just you wait!

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Jonners

Kings of Convenience - "Quiet is the new loud" - never heard anything like it since Nick Drake and possibly the best thing out of Norway since Aha:

Image result for kings of convenience

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Jonners

Here's another in the same sort of vein: "The Optimist EP" by Turin Brakes. I loved it when it was released and I love it now:

Image result for The Optimist EP turin brakes

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Richard Dane

Since this thread started I've been thinking about the question and wondering whether any album blew me away on first play.  I'm sure some did, but I just can't remember now.  Except this evening, while thumbing through some LPs, I came across my copy of The Sisters of Mercy's First And Last And Always, and it took me back to that evening at Uni when I first took the LP out of the sleeve, plonked it on the Rega Planar2 platter, cued it up and the sat transfixed listening to mesmerising tracks such as Marian and Logic. I'd never heard anything quite like it.  Yes, even when playing through a Sansui amp and JR149 speakers, I can certainly recall that album blew me away on first play. I think I must have played it at least twice, maybe three times that evening.

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:

Since this thread started I've been thinking about the question and wondering whether any album blew me away on first play.  I'm sure some did, but I just can't remember now.  Except this evening, while thumbing through some LPs, I came across my copy of The Sisters of Mercy's First Last And Always, and it took me back to that evening at Uni when I first took the LP out of the sleeve, plonked it on the Rega Planar2 platter, cued it up and the sat transfixed listening to mesmerising tracks such as Marian and Logic. I'd never heard anything quite like it.  Yes, even when playing through a Sansui amp and JR149 speakers, I can certainly recall that album blew me away on first play. 

Floodland for me. Also Sgt Peppers and The Wall.

Posted on: 26 September 2018 by Loki

Oh, and ZZ Top Eliminator, and Holst The Planets, and Vivaldi's 4 Seasons and Mozart's Requiem and...and...and...