System Pics 2019

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 20 December 2018

Welcome to System Pics 2019.

To start things off, here is a picture of my setup. The only thing that has changed since last year is the addition of a maple Fraim to match the speakers. 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Massimo Bertola
elkman70 posted:

I like the art work. Who is it?

Holy Jesus! Someone notices other things than the stereo in the rooms! Human beings still exist.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Massimo Bertola posted:
elkman70 posted:

I like the art work. Who is it?

Holy Jesus! Someone notices other things than the stereo in the rooms! Human beings still exist.

You are not alone! Looking at another photo of a pile of near identical black boxes is of little interest to me. Other people’s living space and decor, on the other hand, can be interesting. 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Robert Burgess
Massimo Bertola posted:
Robert Burgess posted:

I must confess, I was a bit skeptical about the improvement it would bring to my 272/250DR based system, but WOW – a big surprise and the best upgrade ever, thanks to guidance of members on this forum!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all – Bob Burgess

And the fact, perhaps, that the PSU has a retail just under the other two other boxes's together...? 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you,

Max Bertola 

Hence the 555PS "pre-loved" purchase!

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Bart

We're auditioning these lovely Kudos 606 speakers. They may (or may not!) stay.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Robert Burgess

Looks good Bart. Let us know when you decide!

PS - What's the black box next to the speaker - subwoofer?

Robert Burgess posted:

Looks good Bart. Let us know when you decide!

PS - What's the black box next to the speaker - subwoofer?

Yes Bob it's a JL sub, but it's been disconnected and will be sold off whether I buy the A3's or the Kudos.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by MDS
CraigR posted:

Hello, after spending a year or so looking at posts on this forum, I thought I should join and post. It was almost a year ago I bought my first Naim equipment- nac202, nap200 and PCM twenty5.23. I have added napsc and HiCap dr recently. My sources are sonos for streaming and a Rega PR3. I currently have on loan a nd5 xs2 over the holiday period to demo.

Happy Christmas, Craig. 

3P5A5882

I particularly like the look of that rack.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Alan Willby
MDS posted:
CraigR posted:

Hello, after spending a year or so looking at posts on this forum, I thought I should join and post. It was almost a year ago I bought my first Naim equipment- nac202, nap200 and PCM twenty5.23. I have added napsc and HiCap dr recently. My sources are sonos for streaming and a Rega PR3. I currently have on loan a nd5 xs2 over the holiday period to demo.

Happy Christmas, Craig. 

3P5A5882

Me too - might I enquire as to who the manufacturer is?

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by CraigR
Alan Willby posted:
MDS posted:
CraigR posted:

Happy Christmas, Craig. 

3P5A5882

Me too - might I enquire as to who the manufacturer is?

Thanks. It’s a Atacama Evoque Eco 60-40 in medium bamboo.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by HamiltonNZ

Second system.

Cheers

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by swisscheese

Hello, this is my first post on the Naim forum! A week ago I got my NDX 2 which replaced the ND5 XS/XP5 XS. All I can say is: the purchase was worth it!

Bild 1

Bild 2

So what's the next step?
- PS 555 DR?
- Chord Signature XL Speaker Cable?
- Any other suggestions?

Current System: NAC 282 / Supercap DR, NAP 250 DR, NDX 2 all on Naim Fraim, Ovator S-600 with NACA5, NAS: QNAP HS-251+ with Asset UPnP, MinimServer, Plex Media Server

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Gazza

I think you should put a NAP 300 in your demo mix, it will drive the Ovator,s to a new level.

And now with pictures…

Thank you, Gazza, for your recommendation.

Looking lovely, have a great Xmas...my suggestion of NAP 300 is an addition to the demo mix. When I tried the NDX2 I thought the XPSDR gave a big improvement for the money, perhaps 80% of the way to the performance of 555psu. But if you ever intend to go to ND555 etc, then you might as well bite the bullet. But the NAP300 could give you the sound you want......advice is free, you ears are what matters.

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by Popeye
Gazza posted:

Looking lovely, have a great Xmas...my suggestion of NAP 300 is an addition to the demo mix. When I tried the NDX2 I thought the XPSDR gave a big improvement for the money, perhaps 80% of the way to the performance of 555psu. But if you ever intend to go to ND555 etc, then you might as well bite the bullet. But the NAP300 could give you the sound you want......advice is free, you ears are what matters.

Funny how everyone hears different things. I struggled on dem to hear any difference the XPS Dr brought to the NDX2. Cannot comment on the 555ps tho. 

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by HiFiman

Very nice Swisscheese 

Popeye posted:
Gazza posted:

Funny how everyone hears different things. I struggled on dem to hear any difference the XPS Dr brought to the NDX2. Cannot comment on the 555ps tho. 

That’s interesting as I think most forum members at HQ appreciated the uplift of a 555psu to the NDX2. When I had my demo I assumed it was the 555psu, no, it was a XPSDR. Always best to listen with your own wallet.

When I listened to the NDX 2 I heard it without PSU, with XPS DR and with PS 555 DR. With the XPS DR, the sound gain was barely noticeable. Only the PS 555 DR brought a clear improvement (better flow, more silence in the sound image).

Posted on: 24 December 2018 by joe9407
thebigfredc posted:

Joe9407,

Great view, nice floor, interesting system and good to see the Weddoes being liked on the other side of the pond.

Ray

Thanks, Ray! I saw D. Gedge several times in the early aughts during the Cinerama days, and "not for nuthin'" (as we say here in New York City) they blew the rafters off the joint every time. Could teach the kids nowadays a thing or two.

The candles on the tree were lit. As were the black boxes.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Robert Burgess

Any cookies left?

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Guinnless

On a wet and miserable December Bank Holiday...what could be better than Blues

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bart
Robert Burgess posted:

Any cookies left?

TONS! Come on by!

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Bart, do I spot 606s ?? ???? Re the live candles on your spruce makes me wonder, if you have a bit of Viking blood running through your veins? Enjoy your Christmas ATB Peter

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bart
911gt3r posted:

Bart, do I spot 606s ?? ???? Re the live candles on your spruce makes me wonder, if you have a bit of Viking blood running through your veins? Enjoy your Christmas ATB Peter

Yes Peter we are auditioning the 606's -- still up in the air about them vs. Magico A3's.  They both do certain things exceptionally well . . . the "on balance" is not resolved in our minds. (The "revealing" nature of the 606's blew us away; we listened to the mid-section of The Wall (recent remaster) and had the oft-cited "Oh my I never heard that before" experience (we as in both my wife and me, and she has better ears than I do)). But "I never heard that before" is only part of the equation of course.

My wife's been trying to light the tree on fire for decades.  Finding "Christmas tree" candles is now impossible. Don't tell anyone but these are sold as "Satanic ritual" candles online.  True. Really!