Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan
Innocent Bystander posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

I think Suzy is referring to the corporate world “BS bingo”, where employers ask for feedback and then use it to justify what they wanted to do in the first place rather than actually listen to the feedback.

Oh come on Mike this is Naim !! not some foreign, corporate, venture capitalist, BS Bingo organisation !!

My take on Suzy’s post was the same as Mike Sullivan’s: the corporate world is full of talk of feedback’ focus groups and engagement - internally: managementsoeak for how do we get more out our workers without paying them more, popularly known by staff as ‘same old BS’. Nothing to do with the other side of business, listening to and serving customers, which presumably is Naim’s intent.

Yes, exactly, thanks for the clarification. I didn’t intend to suggest that Naim was of that nature, they strike me as audio lovers would excell and enjoy making great products. A nice change from the modern corporate world.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Hook
TOBYJUG posted:

Get rid of the heart/love icon for 'like". For something more appropriate.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5f/69/91/5f69915fd495019241e0808c9c80b3ba--george-beatles-the-beatles.jpg

I see your thumb, and raise you a thumb.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Tony2011
David O'Higgins posted:
David Hendon posted:
David O'Higgins posted:
Tony2011 posted:
David O'Higgins posted:

Tuesday 15th of what month?

It’s all there in Charlie’s FAQ  for those who bother  to read it:

When will the old Forum stop working?
The old Forum will cease operation on the 15th January 2019 at 8am (GMT) and will be removed from the website for a short while. It will them come back online as an archive, available to be browsed and searched for years to come.”

Thanks Tony. Shouldn’t have to read FAQ for the date.

David

The full date was in Charlie’s original post actually (or maybe it was edited in later by Richard possibly).

best

David

Must have been edited I later. I know what I read!

Yes, it was edited. Now, can we move on!?

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by ewemon

Stupid question but are members going to be sent a link with the new web address on it or do we have to Google it (which apparently some members have a problem using) as you only say you are hoping to have it up and running on the 15th with no real commitment that you will?

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Claus-Thoegersen

Seeing that others have received a late beta invite, I checked what email I am using for the forum, and found out what I feared it is an old and absolute dead account. Will you post the link to the new forum, and if we receive a confirmation mail to sign up or update account, I probably should switch to an account I have access to!

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

I had the email. Doesn't let me log in from it.   Saying incorrect username, email or password. Using what I always have put in.  Is that because it's not active yet ?

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Claus-Thoegersen

3 browsers, 3 screen readers and 30 minutes later, no luck with changing mail address. I hope for a better experience on the new forum!

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Claus, I have messaged you.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Dustysox

Change, we're changing..into what!!! Am I to lose my world renowned, infamous forum name where people walk up to me in the street and say hi Dusty/Dustysox!!!!!! 

Is this like. a Doctor Who regeneration process...will I come back as Stampy, help me now...or just Dust!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by David Hendon
TOBYJUG posted:

I had the email. Doesn't let me log in from it.   Saying incorrect username, email or password. Using what I always have put in.  Is that because it's not active yet ?

You have to register as a new member. You can use the same username but it wants a ten character password so you may have to use a different password to the old forum.

best

David

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by cycling66
Allan Milne posted:

I'm going to have to think about this … this thread  exemplifies what I find very frustrating about the forum.

I've identified the accessibility issue (as has Klaus) but then it is buried in all the drivle about league positions and usernames. This is typical of a number of posts I've tried to read.

Suggestions:

1. Forget about league positions, just have a few "standings"; e.g. newbee, user, experienced, senior, expert; especially if these can be judged on quality of posts and responses in terms of likes, usefulness, etc.

2. Get rid of the drivle by differentiating between posting (a reply that is relevant directly to the topic) and commenting (for all the other stuff); then we can read the posts without the irrelevant and vainglourius comments.

3. Do not allow usernames - it is considered good practice in many spheres to use real names … posters should have the courage of their convictions.

Well I might give it a little try next week but I must admit I do not do so with a lot of optimism, either for the accessibility or the posts.

Allan

I agree with the points here. Employing them would make the use of the Naim forum, for me, at least, a less frustrating and more friendly experience.  A refresh would be welcome.

David

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

Made up a new password and still won't let me log in from the email.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

You’re no worse off than those of us who haven’t had that email because we’re not beta testers!

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by David Hendon
TOBYJUG posted:

Made up a new password and still won't let me log in from the email.

You have to register from scratch as a new subscriber. It offers you a default username and you can change it then you choose a password.

best

David

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Tony2011

Another stupid question: will the old forum data be available exclusively to members of the new forum when it is archived or still widely available online? 

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Atom/Iota/Kan Stands
Hook posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Get rid of the heart/love icon for 'like". For something more appropriate.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/5f/69/91/5f69915fd495019241e0808c9c80b3ba--george-beatles-the-beatles.jpg

I see your thumb, and raise you a thumb.

Raised again, with a little help from...

https://imgur.com/UofEk5y

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by hungryhalibut

The new Forum should prevent the endless re-posting of silly photos. 

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Gazza
hungryhalibut posted:

The new Forum should prevent the endless re-posting of silly photos. 

They just made it so simple even I can do it.....I have raised on the beta forum thread. We will be awash with pictures which can be very helpful or be dreadful with little dialogue.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Adam Meredith
Don Atkinson posted:

20 years of blood sweat and tears, dreaming up the "Sleepwalking" thread, busting a gut on "Brexit or Bust", wracking my old brain to come up with miraculous "Teasers" every week.........and hanging on like death to that pinnacle in World Affairs in the Top Twenty of the Naim Forum...........(without posting pictures of albums that i've never owned nor listened to ). And for what !.........

................Future anonymity when somebody steals my Name and Avatar.............

I despair !!!!

Hello Don - welcome to the asylum.

You'll find (most of) us a helpful and welcoming bunch.

And - no, you can't power two items with your HiCap. 

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Adam Meredith
Gazza posted:

They just made it so simple even I can do it....

I never mentioned this (as I thought it might break the forum) but you can often just copy and paste images in.

If one were so inclined.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Mulberry

Now that’s a fine movie!

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Clive B

I've searched but don't find any invitation to the new forum, even though I was in the first 20 to register with the first Naim Audio forum. 

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by MDS
Clive B posted:

I've searched but don't find any invitation to the new forum, even though I was in the first 20 to register with the first Naim Audio forum. 

I wouldn't worry yet, Clive. As I understand it, the initial wave of invitations has gone out to Beta test group members.  

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Suzy Wong
Innocent Bystander posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

I think Suzy is referring to the corporate world “BS bingo”, where employers ask for feedback and then use it to justify what they wanted to do in the first place rather than actually listen to the feedback.

Oh come on Mike this is Naim !! not some foreign, corporate, venture capitalist, BS Bingo organisation !!

My take on Suzy’s post was the same as Mike Sullivan’s: the corporate world is full of talk of feedback’ focus groups and engagement - internally: managementsoeak for how do we get more out our workers without paying them more, popularly known by staff as ‘same old BS’. Nothing to do with the other side of business, listening to and serving customers, which presumably is Naim’s intent.

Yup, sums it up completely.

You want feedback? This is a FORUM, read the ****** posts.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Sloop John B
Clive B posted:

August 2000 from the information on your profile and this is probably just from the second forum iteration. you must have seen some changes on here over the years.

.sjb