What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 26 October 2018 by DrMark

Posted on: 27 October 2018 by Bert Schurink

Recenty also using my car time to listen audiobooks. Just finished Racheherbst and now started in Rachewinter both from Andreas Gruber.

Posted on: 28 October 2018 by Paper Plane

Just started this and finding it hilarious.

steve

Posted on: 02 November 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Sam Miserendino  -  "If You Give A Bear A Bong"  (2018)  An illustrated parody of children's books, for former children.

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by ekfc63

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by tonym

I've been waiting eagerly for this, the seventh book in the Shardlake series. I was alerted to these superb novels by my next-door neighbour, a professor of history, who was very impressed with the historical accuracy of the stories, as well as the high quality of the writing. All seven books have been of a similar standard, with exciting plots, great characters, and satisfying conclusions. Highly recommended!

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by nickpeacock
tonym posted:

I've been waiting eagerly for this, the seventh book in the Shardlake series. I was alerted to these superb novels by my next-door neighbour, a professor of history, who was very impressed with the historical accuracy of the stories, as well as the high quality of the writing. All seven books have been of a similar standard, with exciting plots, great characters, and satisfying conclusions. Highly recommended!

I’ve just bought my copy today! Also a huge fan.

Posted on: 06 November 2018 by Kevin-W

The advertising industry in its pomp (1950s to 1980s). An entertaining read:

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Chunky
nickpeacock posted:
tonym posted:

I’ve just bought my copy today! Also a huge fan.

I read this book by C J Sansom not too long ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have since bought Winter in Madrid, but have yet to start it.  I will need to give the Shardlake series a try.

Posted on: 07 November 2018 by Mike Hughes

I’m reading Behave by Robert Sapolsky. One of the most astonishing books I’ve ever read.

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Scott Samuelson  -  "Seven Ways 0f Looking At Pointless Suffering"  (2018)

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

Just finished this one in another great series in crime of Andreas Gruber. This one I am not reading but listening...

Posted on: 14 November 2018 by Bert Schurink

And now just started with a new series ...

Posted on: 17 November 2018 by Haim Ronen

After hearing last week Max Hastings speak of his latest Vietnam war book.

Posted on: 19 November 2018 by Nigel 66

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but they're of my generation, and they had a surprising impact upon the world of 'hip hop' music for a punk band. An interesting read and written in an unusual style.

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by tonym

The second book of Mr Rayner's hilarious lousy restaurant reviews. Not one to take himself seriously, the book begins with some scathing quotes about him - " ...a face like monkfish genitalia, and so ugly he makes you gasp"

Posted on: 20 November 2018 by Jeff Anderson
Jeff Anderson posted:

Scott Samuelson  -  "Seven Ways 0f Looking At Pointless Suffering"  (2018)

Perhaps l am too thin (versus thick) in the head, but this is so circular in nature my head is spinning.  l had hoped to be enlightened but instead am going in circles (ie; Pointless Suffering).  So returning it unfinished so l may pick-up the below which is on hold for me (the danger of having multiple books on hold and not knowing when they will show up).

John Kerry  -  "Every Day ls Extra"  (2018)

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Kevin-W
tonym posted:

The second book of Mr Rayner's hilarious lousy restaurant reviews. Not one to take himself seriously, the book begins with some scathing quotes about him - " ...a face like monkfish genitalia, and so ugly he makes you gasp"

That's on my Xmas list Tony. Love Rayner's writing, he has that rare gift of making the reader laugh out loud, especially if he's eviscerating some pretentious and overpriced celeb haunt. He's about the best thing in the Grauaniad right now, and I always look forward to reading his reviews on a Sunday morning.

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Reading the big book that comes with the stunning 50th anniversary set.  Intros by Giles Martin and, Paul, essays from John Harris and Andrew Wilson, plus extensive analysis by Fabs expert Kevin Howlett. Oh, and hundreds of wonderful photos. 

Posted on: 01 December 2018 by michael1702

The Gambler: How Penniless Dropout Kirk Kerkorian Became the Greatest Deal Maker in Capitalist History

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Florestan

The Second World Wars: Victor Davis Hanson

How The First Global Conflict Was Fought and Won

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by dave marshall

Irvine Welsh - Skagboys.                                         Irvine Welsh - The Blade Artist.                             Irvine Welsh - A Decent Ride.

Catchin' up wi' Renton, Spud, Sick Boy an' Begbie wi'  these wans, thit Ah've somehoo missed.

Jist a bit o' cheery pre- Christmas readin', ken.

Posted on: 15 December 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Benjamin Hoff  -  "The Tao of Pooh"  (1983)

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Kevin-W

The catalogue from Tate Britain's excellent exhibition on the great Victorian artist:

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Jonners

Got a couple on the go at the moment, one an account of the Athens, GA late Seventies music scene which gave the world the B52's and REM (quite extraordinary - a mirror image of what was happening in Manchester at the same time, and the other a thriller by one of my favourite crime fiction writers whose "Camille" trilogy is truly outstanding:

Image result for party out of bounds bookImage result for pierre lemaitre blood wedding