what was the last cd you bought?

Posted by: AL4N on 13 March 2004

after a suggestion,i have split up the old topic into this one and what was your last vinyl purchase.I hope it makes life easier.
so to get things off and running
queen--the highlander sound track
Posted on: 17 May 2004 by ErikL
Kevin,

S-K is a fine loud girlz group. You might also like Pretty Girls Make Graves (which only have a tiny female lead singer).
Posted on: 17 May 2004 by ErikL
Architecture In Helsinki - "Fingers Crossed" - Bubbly experimental pop featuring whispy guy/girl/child vocals backed by horns, triangles, $50 Casios, etc. At times it sounds like an indie children's marching band on acid. It's delightful, like chewing mint leaves.

DJ Signify - "Sleep No More" - Mekon was right in describing it as eerie, disturbing, "hard psychedic" hip hop, and Deliverance canoe trip music. I think I'll love this.

Devendra Banhart - "Rejoicing In The Hands"- I haven't listened, but Pitchfork said "establishes Banhart as a major voice in new folk music" and "a collection of road hymns and journals, and small tributes to smaller pleasures".

The One AM Radio - "A Name Writ In Water" - I haven't listened, but Pitchfork said "not nearly as pert or quirky as The Postal Service's like-minded debut, The One AM Radio is just as addictive" which means I'll love it.
Posted on: 17 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
FAO Nick Lees

Do you have a favourite Rachmaninov Vespers recording? Amazon show several, including one from the Christ College Choir-struck me as unlikley to have the right depth somehow.

Bruce
Posted on: 18 May 2004 by greeny
quote:
Now the problem with a 1 or 2 line review would mean that you would have to listen to
them all before commenting!

Dave, You may be exempt from this rule Smile Though you could add a 1 or 2 line review on any recent purchase you thought worth commenting on as being particularly good or bad.

quote:
Keane - Hopes and Fears

Indie guitar band, without the guitars. Kind of a bit like Travis without the politics. I want to hate it, but I can't.

Alex. I know what you mean, I can't bring myself to buy this just 'cos the latest single sounds so much like Travis.

quote:
Charlatans = Up at the lake

Let us know what you think when you've had a couple of listens, Its had good reviews
Posted on: 18 May 2004 by andy c
Belle & sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress,
Played it once and think it will be a grower - not an instant 'oooh yes' - soz ag!

PS I have the Keane desease - can't stop playing that...

andy c!
Posted on: 18 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
Thanks.

I recall your bass obsession, after all I bought a Jah Wobble album on your advice once. Only once mind you!

Bruce
Posted on: 19 May 2004 by andy c
Belle & Sebastion - 'if you're feeling sinister'.
This initially will get played more that 'dear catastrophe waitress' - seems more instant etc etc.

andy c!
Posted on: 20 May 2004 by greeny
A few more recent purchases.

Franz Ferdinand
Best album of the year so far. The only new 5 head album I've bought this year.

Shins - Chutes too Narrow
After all the excellent reviews I'm slightly disappointed by this, stull pretty good though. Reviewed a while ago on the 'Heads' thread. Production a bit forward on this album.

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
Reviewed on the 'Heads' thread, Good if you like the stripped back Americana style (which I do). Last 2 tracks especially are really good.

Electric Six - Fire
Thought this might be a mistake, but it's good uncomplicated rock, If you liked the singles then it's more of the same basically. I guess if you think the Darkness are Spawn of the Devil then I wouldn't bother with this.

Libertines - Up the bracket
Pretty good indie rock, a few real belters, (like the title track) though the quality is not consistent.
Posted on: 20 May 2004 by stevie d
Maroon 5

Quite a good album IMHO. It's not often I buy an album after hearing only 1 track and end up really liking all the other songs.
Posted on: 20 May 2004 by BigH47
All the latest releases here:-
Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys (mono) 2000. Direct from original mono masters with no mixing.
Sounds pretty good.

Howard Big Grin

[This message was edited by BigH47 on Thu 20 May 2004 at 16:29.]
Posted on: 21 May 2004 by Not For Me
The lastest CDs purchased were:

Dissidenten - Mixed up Jungle
[With Sven Vath / Rhythm Ace / B-Zet / Schwarzmart etc]

Hawkwind - California Brainstorm
[Another live in Oakland Ca.]

Killing Joke - The Courtauld Talks
{Middle Eastern pretentious twaddle]

The Golden Palominos - a history: vol.2
[With Laswell / Fier / Skopeltis]

Lords of Acid - The Crablouse

Witchman vs Jammin' Unit
[More Cologne related electro breakbeat / techno type]

DS

ITC - Iggy Pop - The Idiot
Posted on: 21 May 2004 by BigH47
Witchman vs Jammin' Unit
Who won? Roll Eyes

Howard
Posted on: 21 May 2004 by Not For Me
Big,

Oh Jammin' Unit for sure!

He always wins

DS

OTD - Roland Casper - Go Gone
Posted on: 22 May 2004 by steve watts
One that has grown on me is

The Einaudi Collection - Echoes.

Good for late night listening.
Posted on: 23 May 2004 by kj burrell
This weekend the sales offered up:

Dave Douglas, Witness: a larger ensemble than the other things I've heard by him. Reminds me a little of the Charlie Haden Liberation Orchestra records from a while back

Bill Frisell: with Elvin Jones and Dave Holland. A nice trio set, not that highly rated on release but with lots of nice moments and the late Mr Jones in very relaxed mode.

Todd Rundgren: Something / Anything. For "I saw the Light", a favourite from years ago. I didn't get round to buying this in the early 70s, got "A Wizard, A True Star" instead. Actually a very fine album and only 4.99 from HMV for a double cd!!

Also, finally, got Margarine Eclipse which I've set out to buy five or six times before being distracted by the shiny items in the sale. A great Stereolab cd, the best since Dots and Loops IMO.

Kevin
Posted on: 23 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
Graham Coxon Happiness in Magazines

Sounds like a (not terribly good) Blur tribute album in places, and one in need of a decent vocalist at that. Nothing else comes close to the spark of the current single. Press reviews for this album were pretty good, perhaps it is me?

Bruce
Posted on: 24 May 2004 by greeny
quote:
Press reviews for this album were pretty good, perhaps it is me?

Bruce. I got stung by the press reviews for the First Graham Coxon album (The Sky is too high), which also had very good reviews, but IMO is rubbish.

I've been tempted by his new one, but resisted so far.
Posted on: 24 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
Greeny-its yours for a suitable swap or copy from your colllection!

Bruce
Posted on: 24 May 2004 by greeny
Bruce. Thanks for the offer, You have a PT (If i've done it right).
Posted on: 24 May 2004 by BigH47
e-Bay purchase:-
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morisette
not sure I should listen to it as it has "bad" words on it. Eek

Howard Big Grin
Posted on: 25 May 2004 by JeremyB
Arrived in the mail today:
Todd Rundgren Runt. The Ballad of Todd Rundgren Rhino CD R2 70863

I had no idea what a superb record this was, from 1971, and what a good singer, versatile musician and songwriter Todd is. A drummer and a bass player, on most tracks, add to his piano and guitar playing. I really like the variety on this album from The Wailing Wall to country tinged The Range War to the rocker Parole and some catchy pop songs like Hope I'm Around. Sound is also excellent on this Rhino CD.
Jeremy
Posted on: 27 May 2004 by greeny
quote:
Todd Rundgren Runt. The Ballad of Todd Rundgren Rhino CD R2 70863

I had no idea what a superb record this was, from 1971

I've had 'Something/Anything' for years. This is touted as his masterpiece and I've never read anything but superb reviews of this album. But it just doesn't really work for me, the songs seem slight and forgetable, just me I guess.

A couple more recent purchases.

Blondie - The Curse of Blondie
OK, it aint Parallel Lines, but it's certainly not bad, with half a dozon or so really good songs, quite a pleasent suprise, (bought for £2.99 at Virgin)

Zero7 - When it falls
This is superb, every bit as good at their first album (based on the first couple of listens). Just behind Franz Ferdinand as best of the year so far in my book.
Posted on: 27 May 2004 by JeremyB
Greeny,

quote:
I've had 'Something/Anything' for years. This is touted as his masterpiece and I've never read anything but superb reviews of this album. But it just doesn't really work for me, the songs seem slight and forgetable, just me I guess.

Do you mean something/anything or Runt. The Ballad of Todd Rundgren?

Seconded on the Zero7. I really like it.

Jeremy
Posted on: 28 May 2004 by greeny
quote:
Do you mean something/anything or Runt

I am talking about Something/Anything. I haven't got Runt. I've avoided him since as this album doesn't really do it for me. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but after all the reviews just a bit forgetable.
Posted on: 29 May 2004 by BigH47
Royal Mail just delivered from e-Bay:-

Trampolin - The Mavericks

Howard