What book are you reading right now?

Posted by: Chillkram on 23 May 2010

I thought I'd revive this classic old thread as I couldn't find the original.

I am currently reading Suetonius, 'The Twelve Caesars'.

How about you?
Posted on: 12 September 2010 by Peter Dinh
Slightly off topic on this discussion - Lately I've found myself reading e-books more and more, especially during traveling because sometimes I do not want to carry with me a 500 plus page hardbound book to read on a plane. But the most frustrating issue with e-books is most of the books I want are not available in the e-book form despite the fact that there are thousands of titles in the Kindle Store and iBookStore. It looks to me that the ebook conversion priority is to focus on cheap and cheerful novels first because this is the area where the big guys like Amazon and Apple make the most profit!
Posted on: 19 September 2010 by Haim Ronen
Posted on: 19 September 2010 by winkyincanada
Posted on: 25 September 2010 by Voltaire

quote:
Celebrating the full range of Bukowski's extraordinary sensibility and his uncompromising linguistic brilliance, these poems cover a lifetime of experience, from his renegade early work to never-before collected poems penned during the final days before his death. Selected by John Martin, Bukowski's long-time editor and the publisher of the legendary Black Sparrow Press, The Pleasures of the Damned is an astonishing poetic treasure trove, essential reading for both long-time fans and those just discovering this unique and important American voice.
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by JamieL_v2

REALLY RECOMMENDED
Just finished this, Mark Radcliffe 'Thank You for the Days: A Boys' Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond'. A lovely light read.

I gave up on Bill Bruford's Autobiography, his relentless misery, and disapproval of anyone who does not play jazz just got boring.

Also reading this, not the greatest plot, but great reference for modelling the West Ham water tower.
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by Voltaire
quote:
Originally posted by JamieL_v2:

REALLY RECOMMENDED
Just finished this, Mark Radcliffe 'Thank You for the Days: A Boys' Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond'. A lovely light read.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had seen it in Waterstones but I wasn't too impressed on 'Northern Sky' when I read it so I was bit reluctant to take the plunge on another Radcliffe novel. I may give it a whirl.

Gordon
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by Voltaire

Rereading my favorite book again!
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by Steve Bull
quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:
quote:
Originally posted by JamieL_v2:

REALLY RECOMMENDED

Thanks for the recommendation. I had seen it in Waterstones but I wasn't too impressed on 'Northern Sky' when I read it so I was bit reluctant to take the plunge on another Radcliffe novel. I may give it a whirl.

Gordon

Fear not, it's less a novel more of an autobiographical meander through various music-related episodes. I really enjoyed it though haven't tried any of his others to compare against.
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by Steve Bull
And I'll contribute this - enjoying it so far. If you don't like Stephen Fry, then don't bother. But if you do, read away.
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by Chief Chirpa
La storia che ha cambiato la bicicletta:

Ciao,
CC
Posted on: 26 September 2010 by Chief Chirpa
And something by a fellow forum member...

I thought this one might take a lot of effort, but it's proving to be surprisingly accessible.
Posted on: 07 October 2010 by Sniper

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow

A tedious mixture of old hat, incoherent philosophical speculation posing as science and rank stupidity.
Posted on: 07 October 2010 by BigH47
Funny Stephen loved yours, he thought he was intelligent enough to try it. Razz

I bet he sells more than 9 copies a week though. Winker
quote:
Originally posted by BigH47:
Funny Stephen loved yours, he thought he was intelligent enough to try it. Razz

I bet he sells more than 9 copies a week though. Winker

He is intelligent enough to read it. He's just not bright enough to understand it. Jordan's biography probably sells more than Hawkins does. So what does that prove? You always come along wagging your tail when intelligence or the lack of it is being discussed. I have noted this often. Befuddley will be here soon. Its all so predictable.
Posted on: 07 October 2010 by BigH47
If you try hard enough you could sound like an obnocsious and predictable 12 year old.
If you tried hard enough you could learn how to spell obnoxious.
Posted on: 07 October 2010 by winkyincanada
quote:
Originally posted by Sniper:
If you tried hard enough you could learn how to spell obnoxious.

On the other hand, you appear to have no difficulty in actually BEING obnoxious.
Posted on: 07 October 2010 by Bruce Woodhouse
I've read a few 'popular cosmology' books in my time and I have to say I am more or less agree with Sniper re Hawking's latest. There is a difference between being popular (and accessible) and populist. I thought it was a bit of a mash-up.

I reckon Brian Greene does the job far better with 'The Elegant Universe' and 'The Fabric of The Cosmos' for anyone who wants to read more.

Anyway I just read the following on holiday:

How is that for diversity! The 'Silence of Muhammed' is a rather interesting take on the origins of Islam for the curious.
Bruce
Posted on: 08 October 2010 by Sniper
I remember watching a tv documentary about genius. A presenter went up to your average Brit on the street and asked 'who was the greatest genius of the 20th century'? A great many people (most as I recall)answered 'Einstein'. When asked why Einstein many just shrugged and giggled. The more educated answered 'relativity' some of these (a very small minority) even knew E=MC2 but none of them could explain what relativity was and none could say why it was important. The simple fact is that people were giving the answer they thought the presenter wanted without having any idea why Einstein was the greatest genius of the 20th century. People give the answer they think will make them look the cleverest regardless of whether they could give a single reason to justify their answer. This was quite clear. Try it out for yourselves and ask your friends, family and work mates.

And so it is these days with Hawking and to a lesser extent Dawkins. And so it is that any form of criticism of these two and a few others I could mention is just considered to be wrong even though most of those who would side with them could not actually mount a clear and cogent argument in their defense. Both are just mere human beings not Gods and both make mistakes. They are not infallible. There are some here who treat them as infallible whilst reserving the utmost venom for the very idea when it is applied to the Pope.

Gods of science?

Bruce,

I'm with you re. Brian Greene
Posted on: 09 October 2010 by Voltaire

Rereading...prompted by a post in the music room.
Posted on: 09 October 2010 by Paper Plane
From the local charity shop:

Highly amusing so far.

steve
Posted on: 09 October 2010 by Voltaire
One of my favorite 'white papers' on the subject of poetry...

here
Posted on: 09 October 2010 by Alan Paterson
Just finished 'The Nigger Factory" by Gil Scott-Heron.
Posted on: 10 October 2010 by Roy T
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins.

PS I fancy his wife Lalla Ward aka Sarah Jane Winker
Posted on: 10 October 2010 by Chillkram
quote:
Originally posted by Roy T:
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins.

PS I fancy his wife Lalla Ward aka Sarah Jane Winker

No, she was Romana. Sarah Jane was/is played by Elisabeth Sladen.