What new releases are you looking forward to?

Posted by: Voltaire on 02 May 2009

I am sure this thread has been started before but...What new releases are you looking forward too?

I'll start the ball rolling...

Posted on: 27 December 2009 by ewemon

Peter Gabriel- Scratch My Back covers album. Due out 26th Jan

Tracklist
01. Heroes (David Bowie cover)
02. The Boy in the Bubble (Paul Simon cover)
03. Mirrorball (Elbow cover)
04. Flume (Bon Iver cover)
05. Listening Wind (Talking Heads cover)
06. The Power of the Heart (Lou Reed cover)
07. My Body Is a Cage (Arcade Fire cover)
08. The Book of Love (Magnetic Fields cover)
09. I Think It’s Going to Rain Today (Randy Newman cover)
10. Après Moi (Regina Spektor cover)
11. Philadelphia (Neil Young cover)
12. Street Spirit (Radiohead cover)
Posted on: 27 December 2009 by Haim Ronen
quote:
Originally posted by Lontano:
quote:
Originally posted by Haim Ronen:

Haim, that has been out in Europe for a while now. If you are putting in a jpc order, they should have it (and Stanko Dark Eyes).

Thanks Adrian,

I just finished listening to those Partitas. Unfortunately, I posted them on the wrong topic. Stanko is on order, will arrive only in six weeks.

Rgards,

Haim
Posted on: 27 December 2009 by Lontano
quote:
Originally posted by ewemon:

Peter Gabriel- Scratch My Back covers album. Due out 26th Jan

Peter has done his normal now and put it back to mid Feb although not all websites know that yet!
Posted on: 31 December 2009 by Voltaire

Possibly my most eagerly anticipated of early 2010
Posted on: 06 January 2010 by Voltaire
Posted on: 06 January 2010 by markah
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:
Cheers Gordon.
I didnt know about this one.
Stu

I have it on pre-order. No news yet on a tour to promote it.
Posted on: 07 January 2010 by ewemon
quote:
Originally posted by markah:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:
Cheers Gordon.
I didnt know about this one.
Stu

I have it on pre-order. No news yet on a tour to promote it.

Have heard a little of it and am not impressed as of yet. Maybe it is a grower I don't know but my advice is don't rush out and buy it.

First sample is up on her site.
Posted on: 09 January 2010 by Voltaire

Charlotte Gainsbourgh - IRM

My dealer was playing an advance promo copy of this today and it sounded superb.

quote:
Danger Mouse (one half of Gnarls Barkley) and James Mercer (lead singer of The Shins)

Midlake - The courage of others
Posted on: 09 January 2010 by markah

The Imagined Village - Empire And Love, released tomorrow. Their first album was fantastic.
Posted on: 10 January 2010 by ewemon
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Anderson:
Laura Veirs "July Flame" January 12, 2010

This has been put back to 25th January now, when most of her UK tour is over. What's all that about? Frown

Not liking most of what I have heard of it so far.
More info on the new Natalie Merchant disc taken from the Shaker Heriage Society site. She played a series of gigs for them in September

In 2007 Merchant was appointed by the governor of New York to serve a five-year term as a member of the prestigious New York State Council on the Arts. For the past five years Merchant has been researching, writing and recording a collection of songs adapted from the works of various classic and contemporary poets. She is currently in the studio preparing this project, her first studio album in eight years due for release in the Fall of 2009.

From what I have heard of the gigs where she used no mics or amps I am looking forward to the new album.
Posted on: 10 January 2010 by markah
quote:
quote:
quote:

This has been put back to 25th January now, when most of her UK tour is over. What's all that about? Frown

Hi Ewen,

Do you have her other albums and do you like those? The reviews of the new album I have seen so far have been nothing but positive.

Mark
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hi Ewen,

Do you have her other albums and do you like those? The reviews of the new album I have seen so far have been nothing but positive.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have a couple of the other albums but it is her going back to the more folkier roots of her first couple of discs which I wasn't that keen on.

A lot of people will like it and possibly on another day I possibly would. There are some excellent tracks on it and some duffers.

I notice that Amazon US have samples up now if you want a listen.

If you quite like it then have a listen to the second Anais Mitchell album Hymns for the Exiled which I think is brilliant.
Posted on: 13 January 2010 by Chief Chirpa
I doubt if they'll ever top Felt Mountain, but I thought a few folk here might like to know about this one...

Out March 22nd.
Posted on: 21 January 2010 by Voltaire
Posted on: 21 January 2010 by Steve2701
Hopefully back where they were with Mezzanine

Posted on: 22 January 2010 by Lee Henley
Jimmy Page's new album (whatever it will be)

Black Country - the band which includes Glen Hughes / Jason Bonham and Joe Bonamassa, its reported that they are in the studio with a possible album due out in October 2010.

Fingers crossed on both of them
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by Lontano
Posted on: 28 January 2010 by Bruce Woodhouse
New Magic Numbers on the way apparently. played the first one the other night and I'd forgotton it was such a hoot. Cheery music.

bruce
Posted on: 29 January 2010 by Lontano
New Manu Katche album on ECM - Third Round. Delighted to see Jason Rebello is now playing keyboards in his band.
Posted on: 29 January 2010 by Chief Chirpa
quote:
Cheers for the heads up on this.
Cant find any details on it though?
Stu

No probs, I read about it in a press release a while ago, but it was a little sketchy. Just had another look for youse, and there's still not much on http://www.goldfrapp.com/ though there's a link to their MySpace and the first single. Sounds like it should probably be on the soundtrack to Flashdance (!)

Shockingly bad. Oh well.
Posted on: 29 January 2010 by seagull
Dave Formula - Satellite Sweetheart...

"At last. It is here. Dave Formula's solo release - 'Satellite Sweetheart' - available on CD and download.

As you know, Dave is the pioneering keyboard player in post-punk legends, Magazine, who triumphantly got back on the horse in 2009 to popular and media acclaim.

This debut collection of solo recordings features brand new collaborations on brand new material from fellow band members Howard Devoto, Barry Adamson, John Doyle and the late John McGeoch.

In fact it was these efforts that pulled the Magazine members back working together once more and led to last year's shows.

Additional performances are supplied by guest vocalists and musicians David McAlmont, Robert Wyatt, Corinne Drewery, Joel Purnell, Dennis Rollins and Clint Boon, even.

'Satellite Sweetheart', draws on Formula's childhood in Whalley Range, Manchester. The striking childhood memory that inspired the collection is of Dave being taken to see Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, who, after becoming the first man in space in 1961, made an appearance at the Amalgamated Union of Foundry Workers in Brook’s Bar, in a show of proletarian solidarity.

“I got to shake his hand as he walked past”, says Dave.

The collaboration with Barry Adamson, 'Bison Heard', recalls Paul Marsh’s record shop, which sold imported mento, calypso and early blue beat discs, on Alexandra Road, Moss Side.

“It seemed like the coolest place on earth when I was being dragged up and down on a Saturday afternoon, doing the shopping with my folks”, says Dave.

Dave was introduced to Howard Devoto in Manchester during the 1977 white heat days of punk rock by legendary producer Martin Hannett. The two have worked together subsequently in Magazine and Luxuria, and together they have composed one of the album's centre pieces in 'Via Sacra', which in turn lit the spark to the recent Magazine reformation.

"I persuaded Howard that it was time to be creative once more. A last chance to be venerable. An offer he couldn't refuse", says Dave.

The CD will be released on Monday 15th February and available through Amazon, Play, iTunes, all good record shops and participating petrol stations and ice-rinks."

I've ordered mine, can't wait.
Posted on: 29 January 2010 by Chief Chirpa
For my homie, Dean...

Deluxe Vinyl Edition

* Double heavyweight 180gram vinyl, each disc packed in its own printed inner and outer card sleeves
* 900mm x 600mm double-sided poster printed on Offenbach ultra fine stock, folded within its own card sleeve
* Housed in printed, deluxe rigid slipcase

Autechre - Oversteps WARP210

22nd / 23rd March 2010