What DVD have you just watched?

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 November 2005

Just about to watch the secong half of 'The Odessa File.'

All the best from Fredrik
Posted on: 13 March 2006 by Not For Me
Big Train DVD 2

I nearly died laughing at the foul-mouthed Florence Nightingale sketch!

DS
Posted on: 14 March 2006 by Vaughn3D
Walk the Line

Excellent movie. I was not expecting much but the this Joaquim Pheonix deserved an academy award in my opinion. The sound and picture were excellent and the Cash tunes were much better than anticipated. Highly recommended.
Posted on: 15 March 2006 by Chris Kelly
"A History of Violence" A dark, powerful movie by David Cronenberg
Posted on: 15 March 2006 by Richard Dane
LAst night I watched "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", a documentary about the Funk Brothers who basically were responsible for playing the music on so many famous Motown tunes. A Fascinating documentary and some great music too. It's available online for less than £7 - a real bargain in my opinion!!
Posted on: 16 March 2006 by Frank Abela
Goldeneye

I'd forgotten what fun this film was...
Posted on: 19 March 2006 by Chris Kelly
"Constant Gardener". I thought it was really excellent film, with great performances by the whole cast. Wonderful cinematography.
Posted on: 20 March 2006 by Two-Sheds
Saw 2. Glad I rented it and not bought it. A very standard horror film and very disspaointing since I enjoyed the first one.
Posted on: 22 March 2006 by Frank Abela
Much Ado About Nothing - the Ken Branagh version

Just so much fun...!
Posted on: 22 March 2006 by Mr Underhill
1. Night of the Hunter
Robert Mitchum. Good, but thought the ending was a bit weak.

2. Bleak House, BBC.
Good.

3. Joey.
Just Weak.
Posted on: 22 March 2006 by erik scothron
[QUOTE]

2. Bleak House, BBC.
Good.

Only 'good' Mr. Baggins? Oops sorry I meant Underhill. I thought Bleak House was as close to perfection as TV is ever going to get. I can't wait to watch it all again.
Posted on: 22 March 2006 by erik scothron
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Kelly:
"Constant Gardener". I thought it was really excellent film, with great performances by the whole cast. Wonderful cinematography.

Ditto, absolutely ditto.
Posted on: 23 March 2006 by Chris Kelly
"Stalingrad" on rental from Blockbuster. A German film, dubbed into English, though not the opening introduction nor the closing page, which was odd.
A very gritty, and bleak, story of an elite platoon of Storm troops in the eponymous battle.
I found it very powerful and quite moving.
Posted on: 24 March 2006 by Rico
Wasabi directed by Luc Besson, starring Jean Reno.

Part Dirty Harry, part Sledge Hammer, a smidgin of Clouseau, and a dash of the love child of Jack Regan and Collumbo, combined with comic timing and farce and french understatement. Very entertaining, and that lovely translated-to-english clipped gallic dialogue.

Tagline: Quite Possibly The Greatest French-Language, English-Subtitled, Japanese Action-Comedy Of All Time. [although I watched the over-dubbed version]

Jean Reno seems to make a living out of wearing raincoats with style. The second movie I've seen golf clubs used as a handy weapon.

Need a good laugh? - do give it a try. For me, this one's a keeper.
Posted on: 24 March 2006 by Frank Abela
OK, really sad I know...

Goldfinger

Yes really, but it's so much fun...!
Posted on: 25 March 2006 by Rico
quote:
Goldeneye

I'd forgotten what fun this film was...

excellent stuff I say! Joe Don Baker's cameo is terrific fun.
Posted on: 25 March 2006 by starbuck
'Stealth', because it was £1.50 in the charity shop this morning.

1 hour and 40 odd minutes of my life wasted on this. If I'd bought it from a normal retail outlet at full price, I would take it back and complain. It really was that bad.
Posted on: 27 March 2006 by Mr Underhill
quote:
Only 'good' Mr. Baggins?

Eric,

Good enough that I watched the whole thing, Bleak House, at one sitting.

My daughters, 15/11, worked their way through it on Saturday.

Just watched The Brothers Grimm.

Terry Gilliam took some stick from critics and fans alike. I think it must be tough carrying a Rep like his, if you are not producing unalloyed genius you are there to be shot at it seems.

I actually liked TBG. It has one truly horrific scene, and is generally entertaining throughout. I'm glad to see on Mojo that it made money.

My New Years resolution will, somewhat belatedly, be to go and see TGs next film at the cinema....regardless of what I read.

PS Film rec. for the cinema = Syriana.
Posted on: 30 March 2006 by DellboyOne
True Romance

The scene between Hopper and Walken is pure cinema gold.
Posted on: 30 March 2006 by Adam Meredith
Rear Window - one of the very best Hitchcock films.

Soon - I believe Betty Blue was recently released on DVD.
Posted on: 30 March 2006 by AV@naim
American Beauty:-

"My name is Lester Burnham. This is my neighborhood; this is my street; this is my life. I am 42 years old; in less than a year I will be dead."

Now that's an opening line for you.

The soundtrack is the cherry on the top...
Posted on: 30 March 2006 by Adam Meredith
I been tipped off that Chabrol's "Le Boucher" will be free in the Independent this Saturday.

Only hope I remember.
Posted on: 31 March 2006 by Rico
Payback. "no more mr nice guy".

The first DVD I bought back in 1999, still not tired of it. great film noir, and fun with it.
Posted on: 31 March 2006 by neil w
just watched one of the wierdest films ive ever seen "the devils rejects" however it did not have me reaching for the stop button

neil
Posted on: 09 April 2006 by u5227470736789439
Going to a friend's tonight to watch the 'Battle Of Britain,' which I bought a couple of months ago, and cannot actually watch at home because my PC is borrowed, and does not do DVDs! Fredrik
Posted on: 09 April 2006 by Mr Underhill
I watched Battle of Britain last week, I'm just reading Roy Jenkins biography of WSC - and had just got to the end of the Battle of France.

I remember watching BoB in the cinema in Warsaw as a nine year old; fortunately in English!

Martin