What is the latest music you downloaded, what resolution and from where?

Posted by: Stevee_S on 13 January 2014

With more music being downloaded I thought it might be interesting to see what forum members are buying and from where. 

The news that HD Tracks are soon to open an online UK store means that more choice is going to be available to us. The variety and quality of downloadable music we can choose from is expanding, MP3 to 24bit studio Masters at 192kHz and beyond.

So what are you buying and downloading?

Posted on: 15 November 2014 by Bert Schurink

24/96 High Res Audio

teaser

Posted on: 21 November 2014 by Bert Schurink

16/44 Qobuz

24/96 Qobuz

24/44 Qobuz

Posted on: 21 November 2014 by Stevee_S
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

24/44 Qobuz

Bert I'm sure you will enjoy your 2 new alt-J downloads. 

Originally Posted by Stevee_S:
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

24/44 Qobuz

Bert I'm sure you will enjoy your 2 new alt-J downloads. 

New for me - picked it up on the forum, but I guess you are right...

Posted on: 21 November 2014 by Bart

I've downloaded some hi res Freddie Hubbard from HDTracks recently.  These albums sound really good. "Ready for Freddie" is what we listened to last night.

24 bit from Bandcamp

24 bit from Bandcamp

24/96 High Res Audio

teaser

Posted on: 22 November 2014 by Bert Schurink

24/44 High Res Audio

teaser

24/96 High Res Audio

teaser

Posted on: 22 November 2014 by Harry

Linn 

Super Audio Collection Vol. 7 (Various Artists)

Enter promo code EXAKT at checkout for a 100% discount.

had to download it again as my CD rip wasn't without problems....., hate it... 16/44 Qobuz

Posted on: 22 November 2014 by Big Bill
Originally Posted by Harry:

Linn 

Super Audio Collection Vol. 7 (Various Artists)

Enter promo code EXAKT at checkout for a 100% discount.

Nice spot H.  I downloaded Vol 7 and thought right let's 'ave a go at volume 6.  Nah it came back and said only one promotion allowed per account.

The quality of the Linn Recordings are top notch, so I am looking forward to listening to this.

I downloaded their Peter Grimes (Peter Pears, cond. Britten) and the quality is stunning a 1959 (or 1960) recording should not sound this good but it does.  This is a Decca recording and so much credit must goto their engineers at that time - brilliant job.  But also whoever did the re-mastering for the 24 bit download also did a superb job.

Thanks again mate.

Posted on: 23 November 2014 by Bert Schurink

Both at eclassical 24/96

Posted on: 23 November 2014 by Dan43

Well why not, 96/24 Endless River, Hi-Res download HDT.

Posted on: 24 November 2014 by David O'Higgins

Just bought all 6 Simon & Garfunkel albums from HdTracks, 192/24.

Listening to Parsley Sage now - it is excellent. If they are all as good as this, how am I to get to bed?

Posted on: 24 November 2014 by dry_stone
Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

Just bought all 6 Simon & Garfunkel albums from HdTracks, 192/24.

Listening to Parsley Sage now - it is excellent. If they are all as good as this, how am I to get to bed?

I did the same with all their 24/192 Joni Mitchell albums, it felt as if I was hearing them all for the first time.... I warn you, sleep will not come soon David!!

Posted on: 24 November 2014 by David O'Higgins

Yes, I've been there with the Joni albums as well. Still waiting for The Byrds, Paul Simon and the rest of Bob Dylan, oh and Lucinda Williams and............

Posted on: 26 November 2014 by David O'Higgins

Sorry to 'nudge' this topic, but I've just noticed that the S&G albums have appeared on Qobuz (not UK) at a price of €14.99. They would appear to be 192/24, so quite a saving to be made.

Posted on: 29 November 2014 by Nick Lees

Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - When The World Was One

I am not a reliable witness when it comes to acoustic jazz, being far more at home with fusion. However this is a terrific album. To me it harks back to Dave Brubeck and Kenny Graham (with a dash of Alice Coltrane) and has a line-up of sax, trumpet, flute, harp, piano, bass, drums.

The recording gives everything space to breath and to my surprise is recorded at (if my maths is right) 24/88.

The kicker? This can be downlowded from Bandcamp for just £6.99: https://matthewhalsall.bandcam...en-the-world-was-one

Highly recommended.

Posted on: 30 November 2014 by Big Bill
Originally Posted by Gary Shaw:

Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - When The World Was One

I am not a reliable witness when it comes to acoustic jazz, being far more at home with fusion. However this is a terrific album. To me it harks back to Dave Brubeck and Kenny Graham (with a dash of Alice Coltrane) and has a line-up of sax, trumpet, flute, harp, piano, bass, drums.

The recording gives everything space to breath and to my surprise is recorded at (if my maths is right) 24/88.

The kicker? This can be downlowded from Bandcamp for just £6.99: https://matthewhalsall.bandcam...en-the-world-was-one

Highly recommended.

Agreed!  Just download it and it is fab!

I am also a big fusion fan: Mahavishnu with John Mac, Return to Forever, Weather Report etc but I also am into acoustic jazz and yes this album is really very good.  Not quite sure which genre within jazz it is though, but still who cares, it just sounds good.

Thanks for pointing us in this direction.

Posted on: 30 November 2014 by David O'Higgins

Leonard Cohen 'Live in Dublin', 24 bit from Qobuz. Stunning! Definitely in the 'best live albums' stakes. Only drawback is that the tracks need to be renumbered to play in the right order. Why do they number them as 3 CDs?

Posted on: 30 November 2014 by Erich

24/48 flac B&W SoS

Comment from the source:

"The Gloaming carves new paths connecting the rich Irish folk tradition and the New York contemporary music scene.  From haunting sean-nós songs to rousing instrumental medleys, they create a new musical alchemy between ancient traditions, experimentation and modernity.

Fiddle master Martin Hayes, guitarist Dennis Cahill, sean-nós singer Iarla Ó Lionáird, hardanger innovator Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh and New York pianist Thomas Bartlett (aka Doveman) – The Gloaming are five master musicians, each with highly successful individual careers, who have come together to create new music which pairs memorable, yearning melodies with a progressive style."