Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 12 June 2015 by Massimo Bertola

And, to complete a trio of great recordings made live in Tokyo:

especially 7th and 8th Symphonies.

Posted on: 13 June 2015 by Cdb
Originally Posted by ClaudeP:
Originally Posted by Peet:
Originally Posted by Steve J:

Great recording of two blues greats live in Montreux in 1978.

That is real blues!

And so is this:

I have the second of these on vinyl but after Steve J posted the Live in Montreux I tried to check them out but cannot sort them out. Both recorded at Montreux in 1974 but somewhat different set lists. Maybe there were two sets, or there are different selections...

Clive

Posted on: 13 June 2015 by GraemeH

Listened to the lower one today - couldn't find Montreux on Deezer Elite or Qobuz.

Excellent live recording and great blues.

G

Posted on: 17 June 2015 by k
Originally Posted by k:
Did anyone notice how on the track Silence the audience slowly gets silenced and then here and there one can hear the sound of Birds

''The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.''
If listening closely one can hear them, chime in, in the quiet parts.

yes same thing happening here on one of my favorite Keith Jarrett recordings the SQ is also a bit similar, and this is a rare occasion of Keith accepting a participating audience with out telling them to be quiet but playing them quiet.

That is true.

Keith Jarrett is known for sometimes losing his temper with even the slightest noise from the audience.

Posted on: 19 June 2015 by Robd67

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Royal Albert Hall 1983

Posted on: 26 June 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by k:
Originally Posted by k:
Did anyone notice how on the track Silence the audience slowly gets silenced and then here and there one can hear the sound of Birds

''The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.''

yes same thing happening here on one of my favorite Keith Jarrett recordings the SQ is also a bit similar, and this is a rare occasion of Keith accepting a participating audience with out telling them to be quiet but playing them quiet.

That is true.

Keith Jarrett is known for sometimes losing his temper with even the slightest noise from the audience.

in spite of the profanity he is still a great artist!

Posted on: 29 June 2015 by mudwolf

This concert put Ellington back on top, the 2nd side is just amazing.

Posted on: 30 June 2015 by k

And it sounds good too. Quiet an achievement for an out door recording.

Posted on: 10 July 2015 by migo
Originally Posted by k:
Originally Posted by k:

That is true.

in spite of the profanity he is still a great artist!

I guess that is what a jet lack feels like if you are KeithJarrett.

Posted on: 11 July 2015 by DrMark

Posted on: 12 July 2015 by R.K

Posted on: 12 July 2015 by R.K

Posted on: 13 July 2015 by BigH47

No pictures showing, R.K.

Posted on: 15 July 2015 by christian u
Originally Posted by mudwolf:

This concert put Ellington back on top, the 2nd side is just amazing.

watch this;

Posted on: 15 July 2015 by R.K
Originally Posted by BigH47:

No pictures showing, R.K.

Posted on: 15 July 2015 by R.K
Thank you BigH. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Screenshot and paste into post. Shows ok initially but then disappears.
Posted on: 15 July 2015 by BigH47

There is an FAQ on posting pictures in the FAQs funnily enough.

Posted on: 16 July 2015 by Richard Dane

read here on how to post pictures on the forum;

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...ictures-on-the-forum

Posted on: 16 July 2015 by nad3020e

Don't want to hijack the thread, but is it not possible to cut & paste pics / copy address from amazon or suchlike. I don't use photobucket or the like & can't see me ever having the desire to ?

Posted on: 16 July 2015 by GraemeH
Originally Posted by nad3020e:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but is it not possible to cut & paste pics / copy address from amazon or suchlike. I don't use photobucket or the like & can't see me ever having the desire to ?

Type the album title into google images and click on one. You should get a choice to go to the website or view image only. Choose the latter then copy the image url from the address window. It's usually a jpeg. Wiki or Amazon work.

Click 'reply' on the forum thread, then the little tree square, and paste the url into the first address bar that comes up. Click 'insert' and then post the thread.

I think that's it.

G

thanks graeme - i didn't want to make a mess of it !

Posted on: 16 July 2015 by GraemeH
Originally Posted by nad3020e:

thanks graeme - i didn't want to make a mess of it !

You might have to type 'album' after the title.

Let's see then...!

G

On original vinyl. Although a bit quiet this recording captures the analog feel of the beginnings of mainstream synthesizers. It sounds great. Turn it up & hear the hum & buzz!

It worked. cheers graeme

Posted on: 16 July 2015 by R.K

Thanks Graeme. 

BigH I had looked at the FAQs. Didn't answer my question. 

Richard. I thought I remembered a posting of how to copy and paste a screenshot. Like Nad3020 I dont want to use photobucket etc.