What wine are you drinking today ?

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 19 June 2016

Was most disgruntled to find that one of the best threads has CLOSED, so if no one minds I'll start it again.

£8.00 from Marks and Sparks. Very good Rose.

Posted on: 15 June 2017 by NFG
Eoink posted:

I've had a real soft spot for Larose since I got into claret in the mid-'80s, when Cordier owned it. 2nd last of  a case, old school claret, pencil graphite, drying tannins from the vintage, a lovely cassis/darker fruit palate, and Gruaud dirt with fruits on the nose. I like this style of claret a huge amount,  went well with lamb in red wine and rosemary (although I had to make sure I didn't have any with the lettuce/fennel/radish/ginger/garlic/vinaigrette salad). Now going well with the end of the Stevie Ray/Albert King CD. I've not been impressed with most 21st century Laroses I've tasted, this feels a bit like the last of the slightly clumsy but loveable claret I knew. 

Very nice, one of my father in laws favourites, sadly no longer with us. Love your description perhaps try Chateau Talbot also owned by the Cordier family - I have some '09 & will post when I try it.

Plain old Merlot for me, but very drinkable.

Posted on: 16 June 2017 by Eoink
NFG posted:
Eoink posted:

Very nice, one of my father in laws favourites, sadly no longer with us. Love your description perhaps try Chateau Talbot also owned by the Cordier family - I have some '09 & will post when I try it.

Oddly enough I got a mail from a merchant today selling a private cellar, and it had '09 Talbot. Sadly it was a double-magnum, so I  resisted. Look forward to hearing about yours. Tonight an interesting choice, a 2010 Brunello bought earlier today from Lidl when I popped infor a couple of red peppers. Not a vin de garde, drinking now for 2 or 3 years, nice sour cherries, soft tannins, high alcohol comes through on the palate. a warming wine. I'm having it on its own while I rip today's CD stash, not convinced it would have gone with the chili I had for dinner, but it'd be great with a red meat stew. A bit clumsy, but very enjoyable, reasonable value, but not a 2010 to lay down. I'm still planning to keep the three 2010s I have in the cellar for at least another 5 years.

Posted on: 20 June 2017 by NFG
Eoink posted:
NFG posted:
Eoink posted:

Oddly enough I got a mail from a merchant today selling a private cellar, and it had '09 Talbot. Sadly it was a double-magnum, so I  resisted. Look forward to hearing about yours. Tonight an interesting choice, a 2010 Brunello bought earlier today from Lidl when I popped infor a couple of red peppers. Not a vin de garde, drinking now for 2 or 3 years, nice sour cherries, soft tannins, high alcohol comes through on the palate. a warming wine. I'm having it on its own while I rip today's CD stash, not convinced it would have gone with the chili I had for dinner, but it'd be great with a red meat stew. A bit clumsy, but very enjoyable, reasonable value, but not a 2010 to lay down. I'm still planning to keep the three 2010s I have in the cellar for at least another 5 years.

Lidl do seem to have a good range of wine, Ive not had a bad bottle from ours in Fontenay le Comte, they even stock La Tour Blanche - one of my favourite Sauternes.

Posted on: 25 June 2017 by ken c

sorry this is slightly out of topic but its related i think. i have bought some not-so-cheap wines lately and found that when i try to open it with a cork-screw thingy -- the cork just disintegrated and the brittle bits then just fell into the wine. some were so bad i was forced to return the bottle(s) -- and then you get funny looks, perhaps suggesting i was complaining about nothing.

what causes this brittle cork issue and am i correct to fuss about it ?

enjoy

ken

Posted on: 25 June 2017 by ChrisSU
ken c posted:

sorry this is slightly out of topic but its related i think. i have bought some not-so-cheap wines lately and found that when i try to open it with a cork-screw thingy -- the cork just disintegrated and the brittle bits then just fell into the wine. some were so bad i was forced to return the bottle(s) -- and then you get funny looks, perhaps suggesting i was complaining about nothing.

what causes this brittle cork issue and am i correct to fuss about it ?

My understanding is that corks that are brittle have dried out, and may allow air to pass through so that the wine deteriorates. Wine racks store bottles on their side to prevent this as the wine keeps the cork moist. If you're in any doubt that the wine was as good as it should have been, I think you should talk to the seller, and on the rare occasions when I've done this, I have always been offered a replacement or refund with absolutely no hesitation or 'funny looks!'

Posted on: 25 June 2017 by ken c

thanks Chrissu...

enjoy

ken

Posted on: 25 June 2017 by NFG

Montagne St Emillion, not bad for what I paid.

We're staying next door to Clos des Jacobins so thats going to get sampled tomorrow

Posted on: 25 June 2017 by Christopher_M

Not drinking exactly but my corner shop has Ch Sénéjac 2012 reduced at £11.99. Taste buds sharpening.

Posted on: 25 June 2017 by French Rooster

i am drinking now some Romanee Conti Grand Cru, with some coca cola and chips. Quite good...

Posted on: 26 June 2017 by NFG

A rather enjoyable morning at Chateau Siaurac & a fair few euros lighter before my O/H extracted me. The route to Neac through Pomerol & along the D121 lined with many vineyards including Petrus. Chateau gardens very nice too .

The second wine, Plaisir de Siaurac is also very good.

Posted on: 26 June 2017 by NFG
Keler Pierre posted:

i am drinking now some Romanee Conti Grand Cru, with some coca cola and chips. Quite good...

Im sure it goes well with just about anything!

I have a friend with a nice cave au vin, when he was in hospital for a week & his wife made a boeuf bourguignon for his return & searched out a nice bottle...

The bourguignon, it did taste good!

Yes, it was a Romanee Conti that would cost, oh perhaps 1200 euros

The rest are locked up now.

Posted on: 01 July 2017 by Erich

Montes Alpha M + Naim Kit + Violin Concert (Sibelius) + good cheese, don't want anything else!        (For today  ).

Posted on: 08 July 2017 by Eoink

Morey St Denis Les Sorbes 2013 Domaine Michel Noëllat. Two firsts for me, my first Les Srobes (as far as I can remember) and my first year of drinking anything from this domaine (I did try a 2013 Savigny a few weeks ago, so this is my second ever bottle). 

Still in its early drinking window, nice cherry and violet palate, slightly earthy cherry nose (I have chilled it slightly  because it's very warm here). I'm lucky to have a good local wine merchant who's started stocking Noëllat after giving up on the prices of the top domaines, I got 3 bottles of each of this and the Savigny on his recommendation. It's a classy Burgundy, not world-class wine making, but very very good, and you could probably buy 3 of this for the price of one Roumier Boussière these days. Good clear fruit, light use of oak, enjoyable wine. I'll pick up another 6 I think, drink the 2 I have in their youth, look to drink the other half case when it's through its closed period in the early '20s.

if you're looking for a classy young Burgundy without paying the prices for the great domaines, this is a pretty good choice.

Posted on: 08 July 2017 by hungryhalibut

We discovered Grüner Veltliner when we were in Vienna last December. It's a super white, not too strong at 12.5% and with a lovely peppery taste. This one is from the Wine Society, and is a perfect summer evening wine, which we'll shortly be drinking with a tomato and goat's cheese tart. Apparently it's a very trendy wine at the moment - we just drink it because we like it. 

Gruner's a great choice HH, that lentilly peppery flavour goes so well with food, and is also lovely to finish off after the meal. Enjoy it.

Posted on: 08 July 2017 by French Rooster
NFG posted:
Keler Pierre posted:

I have a friend with a nice cave au vin, when he was in hospital for a week & his wife made a boeuf bourguignon for his return & searched out a nice bottle...

i was joking, the romanee conti is very expensive wine, so chips and cola...but bœuf bourguignon, no problem, very good choice.

Keler Pierre posted:
NFG posted:
Keler Pierre posted:

i was joking, the romanee conti is very expensive wine, so chips and cola...but bœuf bourguignon, no problem, very good choice.

I was tempted to reply saying that coca-cola was a terrible match with Romanee-Conti, everyone knew you cut Romanee-Conti with Sprite, La Tache worked better with Diet Coke, and Richebourg was the perfect match with Coca Cola, but I was scared I might be taken seriously. 

Posted on: 08 July 2017 by French Rooster
Eoink posted:
Keler Pierre posted:
NFG posted:
Keler Pierre posted:

I was tempted to reply saying that coca-cola was a terrible match with Romanee-Conti, everyone knew you cut Romanee-Conti with Sprite, La Tache worked better with Diet Coke, and Richebourg was the perfect match with Coca Cola, but I was scared I might be taken seriously. 

when i was young, in holidays, camping with friends, we used to cut cheap wine with coca cola, it was just easier to drink.  Now, sometimes, i drink bordeaux good wine with some good french cheeses and french baguette:  simple but very pleasant and tasty.  I have never drunk romanee conti....just see on google that is one of the most expensive wines...

Posted on: 09 July 2017 by Massimo Bertola

I'm more and more liking wines from Trentino than those from my land, Piemonte; and American wines more than both. But this had a nice name...

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by rodwsmith

I did this tasting last year:

Just awful.

Posted on: 11 July 2017 by Richard Dane
rodwsmith posted:

Just awful.

How ghastly. You poor thing...

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by TOBYJUG

https://www.brynmawrvineyards.com/images/wines/large/2014RC.jpg

Not a big fan of any Willamette Valley Pinot Noirs. Although this Montrachet style Chardonnay was lovely.

Posted on: 17 July 2017 by NFG
rodwsmith posted:

Just awful.

Oh dear, what a dreadful selection.

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by Eoink
NFG posted:
rodwsmith posted:

Just awful.

Oh dear, what a dreadful selection.

Well, they were too tight to show the good one.  

Posted on: 22 July 2017 by Eoink

Another bottle of '93 Musar, after this 2 left of this and 2 of the '91, might be time to open a '97 soon. Still very classy, earthy tannins, some cherry and a lot of blue fruit, as normal with aged Musar, the wine changes through the drinking time, sometimes almost tight and closed with fruit/tannin power, this one has shown only a few mouthfuls  of that style and instead is showing lovely perfumed fruits in most mouthfuls. Great wine.