Qb needs dropping out of the window?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 01 December 2018

I bought the Qb about a year ago....all good for about 10 minutes?? Ok slight exaggeration but you get the drift...

More often then not, I open the Apple iPad an access the Naim app only to see ‘room can not be found ‘ ...... 

My dear wife has given up on it completely and gone back to the trusted and proven Roberts Radio.

About 3 weeks ago, the Qb gave up the ghost.... tried everything to make it work....but  nothing worked.

Spoke to my dealer, who requested I send it back...

A couple of days ago a brand new Qb arrived.... 

setting up should take about 5 minutes....???

An hour later after numerous attempts with ‘room  cannot be found ‘ .... eventually success... it’s up an running...... 

Next day..... it’s back too ‘room cannot be found ‘

turn off an on, reboot, check for any software upgrades  ect ect .... it’s still ‘room cannot be found ‘

Saturday morning, it’s still ‘room cannot be found’..

Do I pack it up before throwing out of the window or throw it out as it is?....

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Has anyone else noticed how much the Qb improves with run in with volume around 50%.. bass get tighter, and the upper mids open out and becomes less hard sounding and the treble, although never really extended, gets sweeter sounding.

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by David Hendon

Hmm I reckon your ears are running in Simon (or getting used to it, as non-Naim people might say).

best

David

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by wenger2015

Their is definitely a break in period.... it’s certainly performs well when it’s working...

Returned from work this evening to find the usual message ‘unable to find rooms ‘....which is particularly annoying considering I have a hard wire connection!!!

I have unplugged and replugged the Ethernet cable and I’m back up and running...

Hi Wenger,  I would definitely look at changing your Wifi... I have yet to have a single glitch, dropout or funny on the Naim app streaming lossless to my Qb yet .. over Wifi..

David Hendon posted:

Hmm I reckon your ears are running in Simon (or getting used to it, as non-Naim people might say)

Possibly, but it has got tighter and opened out... it’s not thudding like it did when new .. which you could notice in other parts of the house... oh well..  it certainly likes to be fed by full fat Qobuz

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by David Hendon

Whatever, the Qb is great anyway.

best

David

For Wenger, I have looked at my Wifi access point management system... my Qb is at -68dbm, TX and RX rate are at 54Mbps... and data activity is 1.5Mbps... streaming WAV...

The closest and automatically connected  Wifi access point (there are two in range)  is passing through an  internal brick wall...

Posted on: 10 December 2018 by blythe
wenger2015 posted:

Their is definitely a break in period.... it’s certainly performs well when it’s working...

Returned from work this evening to find the usual message ‘unable to find rooms ‘....which is particularly annoying considering I have a hard wire connection!!!

I have unplugged and replugged the Ethernet cable and I’m back up and running...

If you have more than wifi access point, be sure your mobile device is connected to the strongest signal access point. For example, when you enter your home, maybe your mobile device connects to the "kitchen" access point. Moving to the other end of your home, does your device "hang on" to the "kitchen" wifi when it should really drop it and connect to the "lounge room" for example?

Your cooperating Wifi access points can invite the host to roam between access points  to loadbalance, and your host will usually build up a table of access points to roam  to using the 802.11k protocol, but remember the host won’t always necessarily roam to the strongest Wifi access point signal, if that access point is more congested/busier, subject to the roaming capability of the access point and host   with respect to the 802.11v protocol.. which allows the access points to control where the hosts connect to in an ESSID environment. (To allow liadbalancing etc)

blythe posted:
wenger2015 posted:

If you have more than wifi access point, be sure your mobile device is connected to the strongest signal access point. For example, when you enter your home, maybe your mobile device connects to the "kitchen" access point. Moving to the other end of your home, does your device "hang on" to the "kitchen" wifi when it should really drop it and connect to the "lounge room" for example?

The Router is about 1mt away from the Qb...

wenger2015 posted:
blythe posted:
wenger2015 posted:

The Router is about 1mt away from the Qb...

Do you just have the one wifi router, with no additional wifi access points or wireless extenders?

Wenger, I really would try an alternative Wifi access point and see what happens.. one alternate is set your smart phone to provide a local 4G Wifi hotspot.. connect your Qb, and Naim app to it.. does it work better now with Spotify, Tidal web radio etc?

i suspect your Wifi access point on your ‘router’ might be at fault or not working optimally.

Knowing the answer to two of my earlier questions ("Is there a cordless phone base anywhere close to your router or your QB?
Is your router tucked away behind the TV or other large metal object?") was "yes", I am sure things are not working optimally and could be better, even using the existing router/wifi.
However, as Simon-I-S says, a different/better/alternative wifi router may resolve some issues.

blythe posted:

Knowing the answer to two of my earlier questions ("Is there a cordless phone base anywhere close to your router or your QB?
Is your router tucked away behind the TV or other large metal object?") was "yes", I am sure things are not working optimally and could be better, even using the existing router/wifi.
However, as Simon-I-S says, a different/better/alternative wifi router may resolve some issues.

I do have a cordless phone base close to the router.

I also have a wired WiFi connection to my office on the floor below which comes directly from the router.

So is there a possibility the two wifi networks are competing?

Could you be connecting your mobile device to the "office wifi" whilst trying to control the QB connected to the router?
If so, that "might" cause an issue. It certainly does on my system in the following scenario: I am in the master bedroom and connect to the wifi in that room. I then move to the sitting room on another floor level and my phone is still connected to the bedroom wifi - but only just with 1-2 signal strength. I then try connecting to my QB in the kitchen and it sometimes struggles.
I've now got into the habit of turning off the wifi and re-connecting when I've moved.
I'm sure a technically minded person could configure my setup to work seamlessly but I've got used to.

When I previously had my cordless phone base next to my router, I had problems connecting and, drop outs. Moving the phone base about 2 or 3 feet away from the router, my issues stopped.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by wenger2015

Unfortunately my Qb issue’s continue!!!!!!! 

For the past week the Qb has been sat next to the router, using a metre length Ethernet cable...

in theory it should work fine, no such luck...

It seems the router does not recognise the Qb.... 

when checking the router info it says the port is empty 

i have tried using different ports to no avail, if I swap the sky cable it’s recognise’s the port straight away

i had my good friend Finkfan round last night just to check I am not missing something obvious... I am pleased to say it’s not me being a ‘plonker’ .... 

again this morning  ‘no room found’ .....??

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Hmm. Unfortunately, Assuming your Qb/router/cable is not faulty, you have an increasingly rare these days (thankfully)  Ethernet link layer interoperability issue... one way to isolate this..

1. Swap out Ethernet leads.. try regular 4 pair unearthed/unscreened Cat5e cable, your cable might not be Ethernet compliant, not be 4 pair or is faulty.

2.  If not resolved put a switch in between router switch port and Qb in a daisy chain... does that resolve the issue..

3. If not try hard setting the duplex to full, and speed to 100 Mbps on your router switch port.. if you can’t do this ignore..

Failing that, try your Qb on a friend’s home network... if ok.. then almost certainly is your router if 2) above doesn’t alleviate.

if the link layer is not up on the Ethernet link, absolutely no data will flow through it...

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Hmm. Unfortunately, Assuming your Qb/router is not faulty, you have an increasingly rare these days (thankfully)  Ethernet link layer interoperability issue... one way to isolate this..

1. Swap out Ethernet leads.. try regular 4 pair unearthed Cat5e cable, your cable might not be Ethernet compliant..

2.  If not resolved put a switch in between router switch port and Qb.. does that resolve the issue..

3. If not try hard setting the duplex to full, and speed to 100 Mbps on your router switch port.. if you can’t do this ignore..

Failing that, try your Qb on a friend’s home network... if ok.. then almost certainly is your router if 2) above doesn’t alleviate.

Any recommendations for a good switch?

I am visiting Finkfan this evening so have arranged to take the Qb and try his network ..... (also BT)...

Ps.....Thanks for your immediate response, much appreciated 

For starters, any cheap little switch would work.. Netgear provide some little 4 port cheap devices..

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by David Hendon

The Netgear GS105 is cheap, plug and play and foolproof. About £20 on Amazon. Some people prefer the sound of CISCO switches but you could introduce new uncertainties trying to get that going. The GS105 is 5 port. Netgear don’t make 4 port these days.

Before doing any buying of switches though, I would try resetting the Qb to factory settings, if you haven’t done so already.

best

David 

What seems to be happening is..

when connecting via Wi-fi the Qb doesn’t have an IP address, connecting the LAN cable it is then given an IP address but for some reason it loses it and the LAN must be disconnected and re-connected for the Qb to be given an IP address again ....

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by trickydickie

I've had good results with the Netgear GS105E-200UKS switch.  I have one of these in our sitting room that deals with the TV. Freeview Play box and my NDX and I have the 8 port version (GS108E-300UKS) in our study with a Muso QB connected to.

Oddly we had a Netgear GS105UK in the sitting room which worked perfectly until the day the 24/192 board was fitted in the NDX.  When it was put back in (same day) it worked OK as long as you didn't want to listen to more than 30 seconds of music when it would then stop.  Removing the switch resolved the problem so I replaced with the S105E-200UKS and all was well.

Our Router is Draytek (2860) with a second access point (Draytek AP900) at the back of the house.  

We have an NDX and Muso QB (both wired) and 2 other QB's on wireless, everything is rock solid.

wenger2015 posted:

when connecting via Wi-fi the Qb doesn’t have an IP address, connecting the LAN cable it is then given an IP address but for some reason it loses it and the LAN must be disconnected and re-connected for the Qb to be given an IP address again ....

Ok that is more telling... what router are you using what Wifi access point... 

How long does it take before the address is lost?

So it sounds like your Ethernet link layer does come up, but then goes down after a while? If so the switch suggestion and Ethernet cable suggestions I made above are irrelevant.

What I have found with Qb, is if it doesn’t get a DHCP address it goes on hold... and doesn’t try again... so if the Wifi comes up, but the DHCP server is not available yet.. this can happen after a powercut.. to be fair this also happens with the streamers.... and the only answer is to power cycle the Naim I have found.. but plugging an Ethernet lead in and out might have the same effect I think I’ll pass comment back on the beta on this.

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
wenger2015 posted:

Ok that is more telling... what router are you using what Wifi access point... 

How long does it take before the address is lost?

So it sounds like your Ethernet link layer does come up, but then goes down after a while? If so the switch suggestion and Ethernet cable suggestions I made above are irrelevant.

BT Hub 6...

The connection lasts until you switch off, as soon as you go back connection is lost..