what was the last cd you bought?

Posted by: AL4N on 13 March 2004

after a suggestion,i have split up the old topic into this one and what was your last vinyl purchase.I hope it makes life easier.
so to get things off and running
queen--the highlander sound track
Posted on: 29 May 2004 by ErikL
Illogic - Got Lyrics?
Savath & Savalas - Apropra't
Rjd2 - Since We Last Spoke
Jason Forrest (Donna Summer) - The Unrelenting Songs of The 1979 Post Disco Crash

All have been reviewed in the Nick Heads thread IIRC, except Rjd2 which is more poppy than hip-hoppy and a bit of a disappointment.
Posted on: 30 May 2004 by Not For Me
The last CD I bought was:

Various Artists mixed by Sniper Mode - Mikrolux.One

[with Azure Taint / Sub tonal / Unn / Sniper Mode and other Mikrolux artists]

DS

OTD - Captain Comatose - $100
Posted on: 01 June 2004 by andy c
Scissor Sister - Scissor Sister,
Quite like this - some of it sounds like the B52's!

andy c!
Posted on: 03 June 2004 by P
TLMCDIBW
Posted on: 03 June 2004 by P
and
Posted on: 03 June 2004 by Alan B
Joni Mitchell - Anthology (Double CD). Turn the lights off and DIE! It is wonderful.
Posted on: 06 June 2004 by kj burrell
My bargain of the year so far: Blackheart Man by Bunny Wailer, one of my fave reggae albums ever but only had it on tape, picked up on cd for 1.98 in Border's sale Smile

Kevin
Posted on: 07 June 2004 by andy c
Hi,
Latest Faithless Cd - No roots. If you like Faithless then you will like this - new vocalist to pitch in with Maxi but same formula songs. I like it tho so am happy!

andy c!
Posted on: 07 June 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
Yo La Tengo-Summer Sun

Interesting but so far I prefer 'I Can Hear The Heart...'. This is just too doodly in places, and I keep waiting (in vain) for the big crunching guitar track.

Bruce

(New Wilco album on order-goody!
Posted on: 08 June 2004 by Hammerhead
The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free Skinners's concept album. Musically awkward in places but excellent rhymes/couplets. Modern day Shakespeare? It'd make an interesting short film/play.

Morrissey - you are the Quarry
First foray into Mozzer territory. Cutting, sarcastic, touching and humorous. Tops!

Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child
Double CD for a tenner from Fopp.
Posted on: 08 June 2004 by oldie
Ben Andrews :- The Blue Riders Ride Again
Anyone with even just a passing interest in "blues" should get hold of a copy.
The best £12 I've spent since his last disc
BRILLIANT
oldie.
Posted on: 08 June 2004 by GML
Angels Horses and Pirates by 'Little Blue'. Heard about this one from my friend J.N. A cracking album, not one duff track.
Posted on: 08 June 2004 by JonR
P,

Excellent taste re the Sugar album. Are you into Husker Du at all?

JonR
Posted on: 08 June 2004 by P
Do You Remember? Yeah Jon

Bob Mould's one of those quiet genius types who deserves much more recognition I reckon.

The Pixies are well overrated.

P
Posted on: 08 June 2004 by ErikL
Copper Blue

I could listen to tracks 1-4, on repeat, at paint peeling levels, all day. One of my favorite runs in pop music.

(Oh, I'm assembling an order of Slateresque magnitude to be split b/n Amazon and B&N. More later...)
Posted on: 09 June 2004 by ErikL
Okay not quite Slater-like, but a big order for me.

Cheap Rhino R&B samplings-
The Staple Singers - The Best of...
Rufus Thomas - The Very Best of...: Do The Funky Somethin'
Booker T & The MG's - The Very Best of...
Sam & Dave - The Very Best of...
Otis Redding - The Very Best of... Vol I
Ann Peebles - The Best of...: The Hi Records Years

OSTs and Scores-
V/A - American Beauty: Score (sampling reminded me how great it was)
Paul Oakenfold - Swordfish
Vangelis - Blade Runner

Various-
Mirah - C'mon Miracle
Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
Eels - Souljacker (Eels: done)
Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
Bob Mould - S/T
Ratatat - S/T (samples sounded fun)
Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere (lots of talk about this so why not)
Iron & Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle (I like the new one so why not)

and...

Velvet Underground- VU & Nico (others on hold)
Posted on: 09 June 2004 by Wolf
Joni Mitchell - Blue, Hissing of Summer Lawns
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelfia, Rag Pickers Dream
John Adams - Road Movies (piano works)
Mitsuko Uchida - Schebert piano Sonata and 6 musical moments.
Verdi, Il Travotore with Pavarotti conducted by Mehta

Life is analogue
Posted on: 09 June 2004 by Dan M
Postal Service - Give Up
Beth Orton - Trailer Park
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Mum - Summer Make Good
Posted on: 10 June 2004 by greeny
Rufus Wainwright - Want One
Some good stuff on here, but much of it spoiled by the 80s style production (choirs, orchastra, kitchen sink etc). The best tracks are the slightly more stripped slower songs. Pretty good though.

Graham Coxon - Happiness in Magazines
Thanks to Bruce for this, I think it's great. His voice can sound remarkably like Alban's at times (though not as good) but I just think its a great colection of songs (after the average first two tracks). Much Much better than the other album of his I have.

Ry Cooder - Into the Purple Valley
This is only the second Cooder album I have, after being put off by the disapointment of Paris, Texas. This is excellent however, mostly acoustic Dust Bowl style folk. His vocals are only average, but the arrangements are excellent.
I'll have to try some of his other stuff now, though his style seems to vary somewhat. A book I have recommends 'Bop till you drop' but this gets a fairly average review on 'allmusic.com' which seems to like 'Paradise and Lunch' above most others.
Posted on: 10 June 2004 by BigH47
BOGOF @HMV:-
Straight Shooter - Bad Company replaces v worn cassette. A frequent returner to the play list.
Fleetwood Mac FM - (2004 remaster) sounds very good to me. Never had this album before.

Howard
Posted on: 10 June 2004 by adamk
Hey BigH47

Is 'Straight Shooter' the one with 'Good Lovin Gone Bad' and 'Feel Like Makin Love' on it ??

If it is, is it cheap at HMV ???
Thanks
Posted on: 10 June 2004 by BigH47
adamk
Yeah thats the one its 10.99 (remastered) but 5.50 if you get another "buy one get one free"
Shooting Star is my fave track.

Howard Big Grin
Posted on: 11 June 2004 by greeny
This has always been my favourite Bad Company album, I like pretty much every track. You should be able to pick it up for around £5 at music Zone amongst others.
Posted on: 11 June 2004 by Pictish
Kathryn Williams - Relations
Some fantastic covers here - the Ivor Cutler one was a nice surprise. This is an absorbing album full of great songs that the band play in their own, usually spell-binding way. I can see it being one of my "regular" plays for a long time. Highly recommended with a glass of wine at midnight.

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse
This is a good album - very listenable but for this band a bit formulaic, less edgy perhaps. When I listen I seem to know whats coming next, rather than being surprised as with some of their earlier stuff. Worth a purchase though.

Mike
Posted on: 11 June 2004 by sjust
7 CDs today - pretty good avarage after a visit in my favourite record store...

In case somebody's interested:
  • Cannonball Adderley & Ernie Andrews: Live Session
  • Ralf Illenberger: The Gateway
  • Joe Lovano: I'm all for you
  • Joe Henderson: The State of the Tenor
  • Dmitry Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7 (on Naxos)
  • Marc Copland & Greg Osby: Round And Round
  • Eleni Mandell: Country for True Lovers

folks, this hasn't happened for a LONG time: Everything still wrapped in their blister packing, except: Eleni Mandell. This is THE discovery of the last six months (and probably 80-100 CD's). As a confessing "Cowboy Junkies"-Junkie I thought nobody could ever top my beloved Margo Timmins in the area of soulful, sensible, musical, whole-felt Country.

I was wrong. Eleni is great. What a pity, that this recording is a unique example in her portfolio. I will give her other "stuff" a try, but I guess "Country for True Lovers" tops it all...

Best regards, freundliche Grüße

Stefan