What is the latest music you downloaded, what resolution and from where?

Posted by: Stevee_S on 13 January 2014

With more music being downloaded I thought it might be interesting to see what forum members are buying and from where. 

The news that HD Tracks are soon to open an online UK store means that more choice is going to be available to us. The variety and quality of downloadable music we can choose from is expanding, MP3 to 24bit studio Masters at 192kHz and beyond.

So what are you buying and downloading?

Posted on: 01 December 2014 by Big Bill
Originally Posted by Erich:

24/48 flac B&W SoS

Comment from the source:

"The Gloaming carves new paths connecting the rich Irish folk tradition and the New York contemporary music scene.  From haunting sean-nós songs to rousing instrumental medleys, they create a new musical alchemy between ancient traditions, experimentation and modernity.

Fiddle master Martin Hayes, guitarist Dennis Cahill, sean-nós singer Iarla Ó Lionáird, hardanger innovator Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh and New York pianist Thomas Bartlett (aka Doveman) – The Gloaming are five master musicians, each with highly successful individual careers, who have come together to create new music which pairs memorable, yearning melodies with a progressive style."

Did you enjoy this month's Cara Dillon?  The SoS non-classical recordings are often quite weird, for example 'A man called Gerald' and that other geezer with the sounds of a rain-forest??? But 'The Gloaming' album you mention is superb.  Superb musicianship and beautifully recorded.

Bit of a bargain is SoS.

Posted on: 01 December 2014 by Big Bill

Linn are giving away a track per day in December.  Just go to the Linn site download.

Posted on: 02 December 2014 by Jeff Anderson

Tindersticks

"Ypres"  (2014)

mp3 from iTunes

Posted on: 05 December 2014 by Bert Schurink

Did a bit more of work on Marc-Andre Hamelin

Had already the normal version bought now the HR version

24/96

16/44

By the way all via Hyperion

16/44

24/44

24/96

Again Hyperion

16/44

16/44

24/96

Again Hyperion Records..

16/44

20/44

16/44

Hyperion Records

16/44

Hyperion Records

16/44

16/44

16/44

Hyperion Records

16/44

Hyperion Records

16/44

24/96

I guess the last downloads for this year - and want to be more restrictive for next year as well....

Qobuz 24/96

Qobuz 16/44

Qobuz 24/96

16/44

16/44

Posted on: 05 December 2014 by EJS
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

Hyperion Records

16/44

Bert, I thought you already had Hamelin's complete Medtner? This one's included in the 4-disc overview.

Regards

EJ

Originally Posted by EJS:
Originally Posted by Bert Schurink:

Hyperion Records

16/44

Bert, I thought you already had Hamelin's complete Medtner? This one's included in the 4-disc overview.

Regards

EJ

Heck, you are right - just stupid, thanks for calling out...

Posted on: 06 December 2014 by Bert Schurink

I did it again triggered by some reviews - but now the last stuff for Christmas - I promise... :-)

Qobuz France 16/44 (cheaper)

Qobuz France 16/44

Qobuz France 16/44

24/48 Qobuz France

Qobuz Germany 24/96

Posted on: 06 December 2014 by Bart
Originally Posted by David O'Higgins:

Just bought all 6 Simon & Garfunkel albums from HdTracks, 192/24.

Listening to Parsley Sage now - it is excellent. If they are all as good as this, how am I to get to bed?

I bought just 3 (Bridge, Bookends and Sounds of Silence) and they are EXCELLENT.  I should think about the other 3 I suppose.

Posted on: 06 December 2014 by Big Bill
Originally Posted by Gary Shaw:

Matthew Halsall & The Gondwana Orchestra - When The World Was One

I am not a reliable witness when it comes to acoustic jazz, being far more at home with fusion. However this is a terrific album. To me it harks back to Dave Brubeck and Kenny Graham (with a dash of Alice Coltrane) and has a line-up of sax, trumpet, flute, harp, piano, bass, drums.

The recording gives everything space to breath and to my surprise is recorded at (if my maths is right) 24/88.

The kicker? This can be downlowded from Bandcamp for just £6.99: https://matthewhalsall.bandcam...en-the-world-was-one

Highly recommended.

I posted my first comment about this album after just one listen.  I have now listened to it a lot and I have to say the more I hear it the more I like it.

It is fairly unusual to hear flute in Jazz, Herbie Mann springs to mind, but it is not the norm in Jazz combos.  A Harp in Jazz is, I guess, even more unusual but I have to say I have never heard a combo which contains the Japanese Koto, Harp and Flute - now that is very unusual.

But the Harp and the Koto give the music a mystical character at times.  I just love this album.

To give you an idea of where I am coming from when I listen to "new" Jazz it is usually a mix of the following (great idea streamers):

Portico Quartet - Are they Jazz?  Who cares, they are great and their live album s superb.

Roller Trio - Bunch (3 I guess) of Uni pals who play fairly Avant-Garde, sort of Acidic Jazz but not difficult to listen to in any way.  Can be a bit spacey but that's good in my book.

Kiromi - She looks like a little doll but man can she play the old Joanna.  On top of this she is joined by Anthony Jackson (bass) and Simon Phillips (drums) and the three of them create something very special - my favourite new jazz at the moment.

Keith Jarret - need I say more?

Banyan - West Coast jam band, I have downloaded a few sets from archive.org - great improvisations.

Tom Cawleys Curios - highly competent band, play a varied mix - excellent.

Great that Jazz is so alive and pushing new boundaries.