What concert did you attend in 2018?

Posted by: kuma on 01 January 2018

Starting a new thread for the new year!~

So did anyone go to the New Year's Concert in Vienna?

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by Kevin-W

7th March, and to the Albert Hall to see Morrissey (I was lucky enough to be given a £100 ticket for nowt). I hadn't seen the old curmudgeon in years, so was interested to see how he'd aged. He remains an amazingly charismsatic performer, with a strong anti-authoritarian streak, although it's obvious that he misses Marr's input. His new material was much stronger than I'd been led to believe, too, and I liked how he didn't rely too heavily (hardly at all, in fact) on his Smiths back catalogue. A great night.

Posted on: 07 June 2018 by Morton

We were at Longborough Opera yesterday for the first night of The Flying Dutchman, a fine music performance but a rather static staging. It’s always a pleasure to go to Longborough, we are only about a half hour away so go every year. 

Martin Graham did a little speech before the start announcing they are starting a new Ring cycle with Das Rheingold next year with a full Ring scheduled for 2023. He also introduced Lady Solti, Georg Solti’s widow, who was in the audience.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Bert Schurink

I stilled owed everybody a review of the concert at the Opernhaus in Bayreuth of Michael Wollny. It was a dream evening. All ingredients worked out to be good. To start with it was a nice sunny evening. And I arrived timely enough to enjoy an ice in the sun in this nice historic setting. Then the doors opened and it was like stepping into a museum. Wow what an impressive theater. All wood, well restored and maintained. I have made quite some inside pictures. See also below. Then the seat I was expecting to have a bad seat as it’s such an old setup, but no the seat was comfortable. And I had a good sight on the musicians. And the the concert was also a dream. The concert I saw before two or three years ago on the album Nactfahrten was lyrical and just one of the better concerts I have been at. The concert on Monday didn’t have that attraction as it was a mix of chamber music, chamber jazz, free jazz and regular modern jazz. But what made it so special was the fact how the guys switch on the spot between chamber, free, and normal,modern jazz. It was really played on the highest level and very rewarding because the acoustic where also different from the usual jazz concert. So all in all a top concert - and an experience I will not easily forget. Below the photos and some video if that works. I didn’t have the ability to video the most exciting parts of the process but at least it gives a bit of an I,Pression...

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by kuma
Morton posted:
Recently I thought I would have another go, so for the past three years I have been applying in September for the following August, again without success.  I then found out that they keep some tickets back and release them on a first come first served basis, for this year it was on March 18th.

I waited online in a queue for about a hour but was eventually able to get two good tickets for Parsifal, the downside being that any movement up the queue for tickets I had accrued by applying in September every year has, I think, now been lost.

Thanks Morton.

You were determined! 

My friend is not as *die hard* Wagner fan as you are but he's well travelled and will certainly appreciate it for sure. 

Who's gonna be the dirigent on the program?

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Morton

Uwe Eric Laufenberg.

Full info here;

https://www.bayreuther-festspi...e/schedule/parsifal/

We are currently on our way to Budapest for a few days, which just happens to coincide with their annual Wagner festival, so we are going to a concert performance of Tristan und Isolde on Wednesday at the Béla Bartók concert hall, which is said to have very good acoustics.

Matti Salminen is the King Mark!

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by kuma

Nice!

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Kevin-W

16th March: Off to Paper Dress Vintage, a vintage clothes shop/gig venue in Hackney. Only in East London!

Ese and her Vooduu People played a supporting slot to two unaccountably popular local bands.Still, at the least the venue has a halfway decent stage and PA system.

Highlight for me in a 46-minute set was a lengthy and very heavy "Fairytale".

Setlist: Up In Smoke - Peace of Mind - I Don't Mind - Grey - Fairytale - Dynamite - Alien - She Said (Plan B song) - Crazy (Gnarls Barkley song) - Silver Spoon 

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Kevin-W

When I last saw Imarhan, back in 2017 in a support slot at Café Oto, there weren't too many people there. when i went to see them at the Moth Club on 23rd March, the place was absolutely heaving - you could barely move!

One can see why they're becoming popular - they're a charismatic bunch from Algeria who play a form of high-tempo 'Touareg-rock'. They've filled the hole left by Tinawiren, who don't seem to play so much in London these days.

On another note, anyone looking for a decent night out in East London should give the Moth Club a go - along with Café Oto, it's the best venue in that part of the capital. It's an old services club (Moth stands for Monty's Old Tin Hat - it's full of Deseart Rat/8th Army pics and memorabilia) that doubles as a nightclub and music venue. You still occasionally see some old veterans in there bemnusedly supping their ale and watching the hipsters troop into the music hall...

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Clive B

McCoy Tyner last night at the Blue Note, NYC, with Javon Jackson (ts), Gerald Cannon (b), Francisco Mela (d) - superb band, especially Cannon. I don’t normally go much for drum solos but Mela was outstandingly inventive. It was a very good sound too. Thoroughly enjoyable, if a little short.

I’ve posted some pictures on the Kabin if anyone’s interested. 

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by kuma

I stopped following Tyner's work for a long time ( last album I picked up was Latin All Stars '99 release ) but nice to hear he's still playing.

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Clive B
kuma posted:

I stopped following Tyner's work for a long time ( last album I picked up was Latin All Stars '99 release ) but nice to hear he's still playing.

I’m not sure how much longer he’ll be playing though. He’ll be 80 this year. His playing is fine but he moved very slowly and had to be helped down and up the stairs, which was sad to see. 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by wenger2015

Rolling Stones at the Cardiff Principality Stadium absolutely superb 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Morton

As a total contrast to Bert Schurink’s visit to the ornate splendour of the Markgräfliches Opernhaus in Bayreuth, this is the purely functional but still very nice Bela Bartok concert hall in Budapest where we saw a fully staged Tristan und Isolde, (I went expecting a concert performance).

Adam Fischer and the Hungarian National Philharmonic, were I think, the stars of the show, Peter Seiffert as Tristan had a very good last act but I think is probably past his best and Allison Oakes (who was a late replacement for Anja Kampe) is rather underpowered for the role.

The smaller roles were well cast and it was particularly good to hear the almost 73 years old Matti Salminen sing King Mark, he still has a fine voice.

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by TK421

Interpreti Veneziani - Chiesa San Vidal - Venezia

Antonio Vivaldi - "Le Quattro Stagioni"

"La Primavera" Op.8 n.1

"L'Estate" Op.8 n.2

"L'Autunno" Op.8 n.3

"L'Inverno" Op.8 n.4

Luigi Boccherini - Concerto per violoncello e archi

Camille Saint-Saens - "Danza Macabra" per violino e archi - Op.40

Our very first classical concert and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Great musicians and very enthusiastically played.

It was great to hear the music without a sound system/amplification destroying the music.

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by count.d

IMG_1879 copy IMG_1942 copy IMG_2064 copy

Rolling Stones Cardiff on Friday. Top position, very lucky.

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by S3

James Bay - Colston Hall Bristol. Incredible energy....

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by kuma
count.d posted:

IMG_2064 copy

Rolling Stones Cardiff on Friday. Top position, very lucky.

Now that's the seat worth going to attend RS concert!

I recall my mate walking out from Soldier Field ( one of those mega stadium ) RS concert after 4 tunes saying 'I did not pay for the tickets to watch a giant TV screen!' 

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by count.d

It was Kuma. Being that close, transformed the experience into something very special I shall never forget.

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by kuma

My seating preference is always the main floor 1st-3rd row. I know acoustically might not be optimal but I'd rather be close to a performer to get their *vive* far more engaging than washed over sound from a box.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by nickpeacock

Monsta X at Eventim Apollo, London.

This K-pop phenomenon is a pretty extraordinary thing. Legions of devoted fans, making a whole lot of noise. Not my scene musically, but the junior troops were very happy.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Phil Harris

*chortle*

Ed Sheeran last Thursday evening at Wembley ... it was the first time I'd been to Wembley since I worked there on the lighting control for the stadium itself while it was being built!

Phil

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Premmyboy

David Byrne at Symphony Hall Birmingham.

A stunning show. The stage was empty. No drum kits, amplifiers etc on view. Wireless head microphones brilliantly choreographed and great musicians.

Best gig I’ve seen for sometime. Plenty of old Talking Heads stuff in amongst the later solo stuff.