ND555 Impressions

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 26 July 2018

The Beast will arrive and will be installed tomorrow morning in my system. So I thought it was a good moment to open up a thread with the fist experiences, also giving others the possibility to share their first impressions with the beast.

I feeel a bit like a little child who has his birthday tomorrow. I assume that even while it will be nice weather during the weekend that I will be a spending a lot of hours with my system.

And as expected my car will not arrive before the ND555.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Harry
rjstaines posted:

Once you've heard something significantly better, like the ND555 vs NDS or the NAC552 vs 252, then surely you keep hearing what's missing from the player that, yesterday you thought was fine but today you realise has shortcomings... or to put it another way, today  "it's boke". 

With us it is more a case of being satisfied, as best we can be, that we have the best system for the budget available.  I was happy and considered myself fortunate to be able to run a CDX2 into a Graaf GM50, although I knew for a fact that a CDS3/252/300 was miles better. But such a system was beyond our reach and therefore academic. Knowing something better is out there doesn't diminish my enjoyment of music or listening to it with what I have. Fast forward a few years, before we got our 252/300 we already knew the 552/500 was easily twice as capable. But again, suit, cloth, cut accordingly.

Happily, for us the ND555 is within our reach. Should we want one. But if it was not, I’d be rubbing my hands together in anticipation of all those pre-loved NDSs falling like rain and well within reach. And if streamer at S1 level was launched down the line, it would make the ND555 no less capable for its price point or enjoyable to listen to. 

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Chrissw19
French Rooster posted:
Chrissw19 posted:

Hi FR, well, I'm not very technical in term of HIFI sound differences, just to say that I prefer the Dave way of presenting the music but what works for me might not work for you. In term of rank in my system, I would say that the Melco direct to the Dave is better than via the NDS. However, that works for Qobuz and stored music but you need to use the NDS for internet radio or Spotify. Obviously, it is a bit extravagant to use the NDS as a bridge but I wont feel too guilty as I already have it and the ND555 has pushed its value down.

so melco with dave is better for you vs nds/ melco.  Interesting.  What kind of music do you listen to?    

Mainly classical music.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by DaveBk

Having spoken to my dealer this afternoon, I hope to take delivery of my ND555 week commencing 13th August. I will use the time to trip down my Fraim, cleaning the glass, tightening my nuts, and polishing my balls as I go. Meanwhile, my NDS is still sounding excellent...

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by TK421

Go gently with the glass cleaning.

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by analogmusic
Gazza posted:

I would hardly use the Ferrari, but the Statement amps etc would be being played many, many hours per day in my house, others would choose differently.

Me too. I find cars a depreciation of money but hi fi brings much more enjoyment to me. Others may feel otherwise.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by JedT

I think borrowing to buy a depreciating asset of any kind is a mug's game but its probably good for the economy that lots of people don't seem to.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
analogmusic posted:
Gazza posted:

I would hardly use the Ferrari, but the Statement amps etc would be being played many, many hours per day in my house, others would choose differently.

Me too. I find cars a depreciation of money but hi fi brings much more enjoyment to me. Others may feel otherwise.

I think we should look at this topic in a different way and not as an investment or something comparable. You spend the money as you think you get personal value from it. Resale value is in principle only relevant for upgrades, because nobody would intend to sell the stuff. And if you are forced to sell, you anyhow get less then expected. So I would see it as sinking in some money. With the hopes of getting a return in long enjoying the system.....

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Richieroo

Totally agree ...... and being realistic I have never been disappointed when trading in,  the point being you need to be realistic  ......... most things depreciate and this gear is no different. That being said the residual are kind of ok .... the only hi fi gear I know of that actually increased in value ... was the original LS35a - not something I would want anyway......(I prefer the Kan)

Richieroo posted:

Hi Bert.........sorry another quick question ......... do you not leave your system powered up 24/7??? I have found leaving the equipment on all the time makes a profound difference (and I am not talking just elec bill!) ........ 

Regarding Chrissw19's post that is a good - point....... however, I think Naim are banking on most people trading in NDS .... against ND555 which brings you back to the Dave price point or there abouts............

I always have the system on 24/7 - and only switch of when I am a couple of days out of the house, or with intense thunder weather, and I realized when you had it on for longer than three months it can be good to switch on and off, and you get a certain refresh of sound..... The ND555 you can put on standby, bt it's the same as before it's still powered on. I find the price of electricity is compensated with the always good sound.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by French Rooster
analogmusic posted:
Gazza posted:

me too. But if wanted to buy a super car, if i were a rich man, i would more buy a ferrari superfast than a bentley gt speed, for the same money.    I like to see nice cars on tv mags.

But of course and without any hesitation, for the same cash i would go for statements and nd555 with some magicos.  Just some dream.....

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Richieroo

Thanks for reply Bert ......... my NDS is very power hungry and gets quite hot (so much so I have a little fan blowing over it)......... as I leave my system on most of the time ......... the standby on the ND555 would make quite a difference to the system power draw.........

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Harry

I suppose you could call HiFi purchase an investment in happiness, in quality of life, or something like that. It's an old discussion which will never be resolved because of different definitions of "investment". This is what blocks me from the Statement. That kind of money is investment money in our household. When we can buy a house freehold for the cost of the three tower Statement array, there's no way the amps are getting the nod. We all have different trigger points. Maybe if I was a lot richer....

Anyhoo. Back to the subject of primary discussion. Our ND555 home audition commences tomorrow. They offered to install today but we'll be out this afternoon. Bugger! But we should get 2-3 days with it.

Harry posted:

I suppose you could call HiFi purchase an investment in happiness, in quality of life, or something like that. It's an old discussion which will never be resolved because of different definitions of "investment". This is what blocks me from the Statement. That kind of money is investment money in our household. When we can buy a house freehold for the cost of the three tower Statement array, there's no way the amps are getting the nod. We all have different trigger points. Maybe if I was a lot richer....

Anyhoo. Back to the subject of primary discussion. Our ND555 home audition commences tomorrow. They offered to install today but we'll be out this afternoon. Bugger! But we should get 2-3 days with it.

Looking forward to your impressions in the own four walls.....

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Mike-B
Richieroo posted:

.............   the standby on the ND555 would make quite a difference to the system power draw.........

I'm not sure how much the ND555 standby & deep sleep modes actually save,  it would be interesting to have better info on this from Naim.   I can understand how its possible to shut down the various ND555 internal systems,  but the 555PS provides its power & that has no standby abilities & will still continue to draw quiescent current.  

The NDX2, ND5xs2 & all the new Uniti's do have real standby & deep sleep ability as they have a small SMPS inside specifically for that purpose.   

Standby proper would need the addition of PS logic and gubbins. I'm sure it will come. I'm sure Naim will launch a range of power supplies with standby facilities, and that they will sonically supersede what is currently available. Although the only things I'm willing to bet on is that production dates will slip and the cost will be eye watering for a PS555-DR Mk2.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Laxton

Hi Bert,

Glad to hear that you’re enjoying your Nd555.

Can you advise if the Nd555 comes with any Burndies as part of the standard package or are they optional extras?

Thanks in advance!

Laxton

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Laxton
Alba1320 posted:

@ Laxton

The ND555 comes with the two (mandatory) Burndies, just like its predecessor, the CD555.

Thanks Alba!

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Dustysox
Bert Schurink posted:
Harry posted:

Looking forward to your impressions in the own four walls.....

+ 1 Harry! 

Full report within the hour if you please ????

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by hifi-dog
Mike-B posted:
Richieroo posted:

.............   the standby on the ND555 would make quite a difference to the system power draw.........

I'm not sure how much the ND555 standby & deep sleep modes actually save,  it would be interesting to have better info on this from Naim.   I can understand how its possible to shut down the various ND555 internal systems,  but the 555PS provides its power & that has no standby abilities & will still continue to draw quiescent current.  

The NDX2, ND5xs2 & all the new Uniti's do have real standby & deep sleep ability as they have a small SMPS inside specifically for that purpose.   

If it helps my nova is 2w on standby and 0.5 w on deep sleep

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by nestor burma

I just wonder if it comes with 2 burndies like the CD555, then would it also benefit from a second PS????

nestor burma posted:

I just wonder if it comes with 2 burndies like the CD555, then would it also benefit from a second PS????

Apparently it does, but unclear right now how much......

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by yeti42

In case anyone is wondering if the ND555 will run on a pre DR 555ps, it will, but not on mine, though it can power an NDS apparently. There’s an unused output on socket 1 when powering an NDS which the 555 makes use of, or rather requires to even switch on as far as standby. They had an ND 555 running off my socket 2 with their DR supplying input 1 in the shop today too. Even if I’d had an NDS there would have been no hint of the fault in my ps.

Our audition will be with two 555PS-DR.

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by kmoldskred

Thanks for the info! I was actually wondering if it would be possible to combine the ND555 with one non-DR 555PS and one DR. Now I can rest assured. I "accidentally" bought a non-DR 555PS while waiting for my new 555PS to arrive. I will get the new stuff in about two weeks. Fun times!

Posted on: 31 July 2018 by Camlan
Mike-B posted:
Richieroo posted:

So you are going to spend the best part of £20k on an ND555 and a 555DR PS and you are worried about the power cost of leaving it permanently switched on. Really?