Witch hat cables

Posted by: Aceone on 22 September 2018

Good afternoon everyone ,can anyone advice me on witch hat speaker cables are they really good value for money ,iam thinking about buying these cables ,thanks acetone.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Filipe
Kevin-W posted:
HiFiman posted:

What is Brexit 

Apparently, planes will fall out of the sky, children will be denied medical treatment, the Donald and his minions will force-feed Brits chlorinated chicken, everyone will turn into a Nazi stormtrooper, football teams will have to repatriate all foreign players, the Sun will explode, the Moon will fall to earth and Guardian journalists won't be able to buy quinoa anywhere.

And a total extinction asteroid will pass within 2.5 million miles of the earth! Well that’s what my wife read, but 1st February fly by is 37 million miles

Phil

Apologises for being off piste.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:
HiFiman posted:

What is Brexit 

Apparently, planes will fall out of the sky, children will be denied medical treatment, the Donald and his minions will force-feed Brits chlorinated chicken, everyone will turn into a Nazi stormtrooper, football teams will have to repatriate all foreign players, the Sun will explode, the Moon will fall to earth and Guardian journalists won't be able to buy quinoa anywhere.

Yeah, but at least you'll be able to get a blue passport 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Kevin-W
MDS posted:

Yeah, but at least you'll be able to get a blue passport 

Oh bugger! I preferred the red ones!

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Dan.S

I have 2x 5m runs. Naca5 (used for years) and WH N2 (2 weeks). The only difference I hear is Naca5 has a lower noise floor, but only by a hair and maybe is a bit more coherent in the presentation. I'll switch back to N2 someday and let it burn in for a month and conduct the tests again. Maybe.

However, my Hatpin 4x definitely improved things. The music is livelier and more focused. Not a night and day difference but worth it.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by nigelb
Kevin-W posted:
HiFiman posted:

What is Brexit 

Wasn’t that the Y2K bug?

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by JimDog
Jonners posted:

the differences moving from Chord Epic speaker cable to WH Phantom was less obvious. and probably not worthwhile in hindsight. 

Jonners

if Chord Epic is £50 a metre and Phantom is £40 a metre (roughly, I think) why would you expect Phantom to be a noticeable upgrade?

I know it's not all about price, but the price is saying that the Chord should be better, other things being equal.

Also, what are you going to do with the Chord Epic? Store it in the garage where it will degrade, or sell it on t'bay?

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Jonners
JimDog posted:

Jonners

if Chord Epic is £50 a metre and Phantom is £40 a metre (roughly, I think) why would you expect Phantom to be a noticeable upgrade?

I know it's not all about price, but the price is saying that the Chord should be better, other things being equal.

Also, what are you going to do with the Chord Epic? Store it in the garage where it will degrade, or sell it on t'bay?

WH promote Phantom as using the same components as other mainstream vendors who sell their cables for a lot more money. By this I mean Phantom combines copper and silver in the same cable, the difference is primarily cosmetic and being a small company, they don't have the overheads of the bigger guys or their marketing budgets to fund. That's why I would expect their products to punch above their weight, plus WH openly state their customer demographic is the music lover who is wary of highly-priced cables and their sound-altering abilities. 

I said in my post that I hadn't noticed such a big improvement in swapping out my Epic for Phantom as I had in replacing my Naim and Chord interconnects. In hindsight, I may have noticed a bigger improvement if I had changed the Epic first. I guess I'll never know but the biggest quality I found the WH cables brought to my system was balance in the way the music was presented. With Chord I had got used to vocals being more pronounced and a bias towards bass. Trebles seem to sparkle more now and instruments like cymbals have more decay. I can also pick out echo and reverb effects more. In short, greater balance and more detail.

As for the Epic, I had 2 x 6M runs and sold them on eBay fairly quickly, they went for £140 - cheaper than I'd hoped but there's always a lot of them for sale anyway so the market sets the price I guess.

I was almost tempted by a brand called "AR" whose interconnects get absolutely rave reviews if their website is anything to go by but then we're talking a lot more money and besides, WH was set up by a couple of ex-Naim guys whose products are geared towards Naim customers. Same could be said for Chord though!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Adam Meredith
Jonners posted:
WH openly state their customer demographic is the music lover who is wary of highly-priced cables and their sound-altering abilities. 

Probably better than openly seeking to sell to tone deaf, profligate status seekers who just want to mess around with the sound of their system.

It's better copy.