Qb needs dropping out of the window?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 01 December 2018

I bought the Qb about a year ago....all good for about 10 minutes?? Ok slight exaggeration but you get the drift...

More often then not, I open the Apple iPad an access the Naim app only to see ‘room can not be found ‘ ...... 

My dear wife has given up on it completely and gone back to the trusted and proven Roberts Radio.

About 3 weeks ago, the Qb gave up the ghost.... tried everything to make it work....but  nothing worked.

Spoke to my dealer, who requested I send it back...

A couple of days ago a brand new Qb arrived.... 

setting up should take about 5 minutes....???

An hour later after numerous attempts with ‘room  cannot be found ‘ .... eventually success... it’s up an running...... 

Next day..... it’s back too ‘room cannot be found ‘

turn off an on, reboot, check for any software upgrades  ect ect .... it’s still ‘room cannot be found ‘

Saturday morning, it’s still ‘room cannot be found’..

Do I pack it up before throwing out of the window or throw it out as it is?....

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Switch off the Qb? And when you turn back on it doesn’t register an address? 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by wenger2015
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Switch off the Qb? And when you turn back on it doesn’t register an address? 

Yes, That’s it..

If you have the latest firmware on Qb.. then it sounds increasinly more like either the firmware needs addressing or there is a fault on the Qb... when powered up, the client (Qb) should send a DHCP discovery message, and I wonder if something about this subsequent DHCP discovery address is incompatible your home network equipment...however as a work around, if you set the stay connected to on on the Qb, I think you’ll find the Qb stays on.. but does the issue go?

With mine, it can take upto 30 seconds in your scenario to get an address, and be discoverable in the Naim app

No IP address ?

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by David Hendon

Did you try a factory reset on the Qb? This message from your HH suggests that the Qb isn’t working properly. It must have an ipv4 address to be able to operate with the Naim app etc.

best

David

David Hendon posted:

Did you try a factory reset on the Qb? This message from your HH suggests that the Qb isn’t working properly. It must have an ipv4 address to be able to operate with the Naim app etc.

best

David

Just doing factory reset for 2nd time...1st time message said unexpected error 

wenger2015 posted:

Second unexpected error 

I’m inclined to think the newly replaced Qb needs to go back to Naim HQ ...... or Out of the window?

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by SpyderTracks

Are you trying to factory reset from the Naim app? Wouldn't it make more sense to do so from the device itself?

SpyderTracks posted:

Are you trying to factory reset from the Naim app? Wouldn't it make more sense to do so from the device itself?

Done that factory reset from the Qb 3 times already, so that unfortunately doesn’t work 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by SpyderTracks
wenger2015 posted:
SpyderTracks posted:

Done that factory reset from the Qb 3 times already, so that unfortunately doesn’t work 

Apologies, leaping on at the last minute.

That does appear to be a faulty unit then, I'd return it. In my experience I'd iterate that this is definitely not the normal complexity with setting these things up and getting a reliable connection, mine have been rock solid on the network for over a year.

SpyderTracks posted:
wenger2015 posted:
SpyderTracks posted:

Apologies, leaping on at the last minute.

That does appear to be a faulty unit then, I'd return it. In my experience I'd iterate that this is definitely not the normal complexity with setting these things up and getting a reliable connection, mine have been rock solid on the network for over a year.

No problem.....

unfortunately this unit has only just been replaced a couple of weeks ago....

same issues with the first one...

i think it will  have to be returned once again 

You definitely shouldn’t get an unexpected error when you do a factory reset. Also if it’s plugged into a BT hub, it should immediately get an IP address and not give you a message on your hub management interface that the Qb doesn’t handle IPV4. Indeed the fact it won’t is clearly why you have a problem.

I would take it straight back to the dealer. It’s worth getting yet another new one because they are very good, albeit that Naim’s quality control appears to have taken a major tumble in recent times.

best

David

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by sjbabbey

Wenger,

Your screenshot of the BT hub's webpage indicates that the QB has a static address assignment. Is there a reason you are not allowing the HH to allocate the QB an address via DHCP?

sjbabbey posted:

Wenger,

Your screenshot of the BT hub's webpage indicates that the QB has a static address assignment. Is there a reason you are not allowing the HH to allocate the QB an address via DHCP?

I think it indicates that the Qb doesn’t have any address assignment, doesn’t it? It doesn’t indicate a static one as far as I can see.

best

David

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by sjbabbey

Hi David,

Just looked at the status of my ipad connection in the advanced network settings of my BT HH5 which shows the value DHCP.for I P  address assignment. I think the only options are DHCP or static.

The screenshot indicated that the QB was connected so must have been assigned an IP addess at the time it was taken.

Steve

sjbabbey posted:

Wenger,

Their is no reasoning I am not allowing it, it should be done automatically?

wenger2015 posted:

No IP address ?

This points to a DHCP interoperability issue... you don’t need to have an IP address, but the protocols Naim use absolutely require an IP v 4 address... .. interesting as I thought if it was a general Qb / BT HomevHub DHCP interoperability issue there would have been many many more reports of issues...

Steve

i bow to your superior knowledge of the BT homehub as I have never had the pleasure...

But the message clearly says that an ip address cannot be assigned as the unit isn’t compatible with ipv4 (which of course if it’s working properly it definitely is). And I think “connected” in this context just means that it acknowledges a device with that MAC address is online, but that isn’t the same as it having an IP address. In fact I think the hub is waiting for a request for a IP lease from the Qb but hasn’t received one in the expected time window.

Its like I recognise that you are standing on my front door mat, and I have opened the door, but I haven’t yet started to have any meaningful conversation with you to see what we will be doing together because you are just standing there while I look at you quizzically!

best

David

David Hendon posted:

Steve

i bow to your superior knowledge of the BT homehub as I have never had the pleasure...

But the message clearly says that an ip address cannot be assigned as the unit isn’t compatible with ipv4 (which of course if it’s working properly it definitely is). And I think “connected” in this context just means that it acknowledges a device with that MAC address is online, but that isn’t the same as it having an IP address. In fact I think the hub is waiting for a request for a IP lease from the Qb but hasn’t received one in the expected time window.

Its like I recognise that you are standing on my front door mat, and I have opened the door, but I haven’t yet started to have any meaningful conversation with you to see what we will be doing together because you are just standing there while I look at you quizzically!

best

David

That explains it perfectly 

wenger2015 posted:

So this is now totally correct... what then happens? You have a validly assigned IPv4 DHCP address at this point... all good.

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
wenger2015 posted:

So this is now totally correct... what then happens?

That’s his games console Simon!