What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Jeroen20

Michiel Stekelenburg quintet - Layers

Michiel Stekelenburg guitar; Efraim Trujillo sax; Jeroen van Vliet piano; Guus Bakker bass; Pascal Vermeer drums

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Sloop John B

After listening to a Sly greatest hits yesterday, today we start some album listening. Starting with 

Life Qobuz 16/44. 

Any insights about where to visit on my Sly Trek are most welcome. 

.sjb

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Clive B

Keith Jarrett - At the Deer Head Inn 

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Richard Morris
Jeff Anderson posted:

Sphere  -  "Live At Umbria Jazz"  (1993)  Kenny Barron - piano; Buster Williams - bass, Charle Rouse - sax; Ben Riley - drums

Amazon - "Pumpkins Delight" is my absolute favorite live jazz recording as well as my favorite of all studio and live recordings from the group Sphere. What a magnificent aggregation of musicians beginning with the incomparable Kenny Barron on piano. Barron formed the group along with Thelonious Monk's saxophonist (Charlie Rouse) who toured and recorded with Monk from 1959-70. Joining Barron and Rouse were bassist Buster Williams and drummer Ben Riley. Riley played in Monk's group from 1964-68 and, although generally under appreciated, is one of the best hard bop drummers of all time. Williams shows exception bass range and versatility on this recording along with some serious "thump".
If you are a fan of bop, hard-bop or post bop, this is must-have recording. Four superb musicians who swing with soul and harmony. My favorite sax-led jazz quartet of all time".

Good tip. Now playing.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Kevin-W
Sloop John B posted:

After listening to a Sly greatest hits yesterday, today we start some album listening. Starting with

Any insights about where to visit on my Sly Trek are most welcome. 

.sjb

Sloop, for me the two essential S&TFS albums are '71's There's A Riot Goin' On, in which chaos and personal collapse and the darkness in Sly's own life mirror events in the wider world, particularly in America:

Then there's the follow-up in '73, Fresh. Not as dark, but still very downbeat. And oh so funky...

There's also Stand!, the high point of the band's pre-Woodstock career. As well as the politically positive, integrationist messages Sly was transmitting, it's full of energy and choc full o'hits!

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Christopher_M

Catherine Russell - Sentimental Streak

Love the acoustic bass on this.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Tabby cat

Playing on Compact Disc on Naxos - Some soothing Vivaldi to help with the hangover.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51SNoiAEIHL._SS500.jpg

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Jonners

New Years Day and the second of 2 LP's I received at Christmas, this one introducing us to the delights of Alison Moyet, great album cover too. I recall there was a lot of debate at the time as to whether "she" was a "he", totally preposterous now I look back on those times. She has a wonderful, distinctive voice so after this I'll dig out something else she guests on.

Image result for upstair at erics

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Chunky
Kevin-W posted:

There's also Stand!, the high point of the band's pre-Woodstock career. As well as the politically positive, integrationist messages Sly was transmitting, it's full of energy and choc full o'hits!

This would be my recommendation too.  Contains the awesome I Want To Take You Higher.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Jonners

Here we go - Alison Moyet on "My Best Day", great track, great album - now playing on CD:

Image result for lightning seeds jollification

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by seakayaker

Now playing........

Ketil Bjørnstad - The Light

Ketil Bjørnstad - The Light

Streaming on NAS..........   Starting the New Year with 'The Light' and hoping that everyone has health & happiness through the upcoming year!   Keep the music spinning! ........my favorite thread........

Playing that Cream album earlier reminded me how turgid and pale they could often be compared to Led Zeppelin (despite the fact that "Strange Brew" and "I Feel Free" are two of my favourite songs ever and that I really enjoyed listening to the album). I think it's because the guitarist wasn't as good as Page, Baker was nowhere near Bonzo, and Bruce was bested by JPJ. And Cream didn't have a singer as good as Percy, either.

So, in honour of the mighty Zep, here's their towering achievement, on Japanese SHM-CD.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Redkev

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by ewemon

Belle Plaine

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Erich

CD.    Johannes Brahms - Klavierquintett F-Moll Op. 34 - Amadeus Quartett, Christoph Eschenbach

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Stevee_S

(1975)

One of These Nights

I just fancied some Eagles by way of cleansing and re-setting the musical pallet.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Redkev

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by ToddHarris

June 1970.  Cracklin' with energy!!!

At Fillmore: Live at the Fillmore East

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

R-7819982-1449461782-7681.jpeg

This lived up to expectations so far as the recording and mastering goes Bernie Grundman does a fantastic job absolutely dead silent between the tracks and the packaging and pressing are second to none.

Unfortunately for me anyway Lyn Stanley just doesn't do it she does a good job hits the notes and all that but she just lacks any real spark and though the musicians are all playing very nicely the whole thing lacks any real life.

I'm afraid not even Frank Sinatra's mic ' Telly ' could bestow any magic.

Posted on: 01 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
ewemon posted:

Played this record to death as a teenager and still play it a few times a year great LP.