Qb needs dropping out of the window?

Posted by: wenger2015 on 01 December 2018

I bought the Qb about a year ago....all good for about 10 minutes?? Ok slight exaggeration but you get the drift...

More often then not, I open the Apple iPad an access the Naim app only to see ‘room can not be found ‘ ...... 

My dear wife has given up on it completely and gone back to the trusted and proven Roberts Radio.

About 3 weeks ago, the Qb gave up the ghost.... tried everything to make it work....but  nothing worked.

Spoke to my dealer, who requested I send it back...

A couple of days ago a brand new Qb arrived.... 

setting up should take about 5 minutes....???

An hour later after numerous attempts with ‘room  cannot be found ‘ .... eventually success... it’s up an running...... 

Next day..... it’s back too ‘room cannot be found ‘

turn off an on, reboot, check for any software upgrades  ect ect .... it’s still ‘room cannot be found ‘

Saturday morning, it’s still ‘room cannot be found’..

Do I pack it up before throwing out of the window or throw it out as it is?....

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by wenger2015
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
wenger2015 posted:

So this is now totally correct... what then happens?

Nothing happens..... but eventually the hub will say it’s connected wirelessly.... but it isn’t because it’s hardwired, 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
David Hendon posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
wenger2015 posted:

That’s his games console Simon!

David I don’t think so LOL.. unless Naim have started the Game console business.  .. looks like LiteonTe MAC address registration which is used by the Qb

But I note the is a questionable outcome from the DHCP, as the device name should be like ‘Naim Qb XXXXX’ not the mac address.

Anyway as I say.. this looks all correct.. apart from the questionable host name.. the main thing is what happens next...

David Hendon posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
wenger2015 posted:

That’s his games console Simon!

This is just what the hub has decided to call it because I don’t have a games console?

sjbabbey posted:

Hi Wenger,

by default the HH should use DHCP i.p. addresses (usually in the range ending 64 to 253 for the HH) to allocate to your network devices each time you switch them on or when their i.p. address lease is renewed. However, some users reserve a particular i.p. address for a device in which case the HH would show this as a static addess rather than as DHCP assigned. 

If you do want to reserve an address for your QB you should avoid the range used by DHCP i.e. an address ending in a number below 64. 

However it is simpler just to alow DHCP to handle the assignment of all i.p. addresses on your network.

No settings have been adjusted....it should be done automatically 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by sjbabbey

I wonder whether the new "smart" hub has access to a database of devices from which it has misidentified Wenger's QB as a games console and it is that console which is not IP v4 compatible so causing this issue.

Perhaps manually entering the QB's correct details (changing the device name etc.) might solve the problem.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by David Hendon

I still think that the fact Wenger gets an “unexpected error” when he does a factory reset is significant.

best

David

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by SpyderTracks
David Hendon posted:

I still think that the fact Wenger gets an “unexpected error” when he does a factory reset is significant.

best

David

I would agree, that surely points to a hardware issue.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by blythe

Have you tried it on a friends/neighbours network yet?

blythe posted:

Unfortunately have not been able to as yet....... I am wondering if it’s even a worthwhile exercise?

Maybe better to just return Qb to dealer and hope for third time lucky 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Guinnless

At least if you take it to the dealer they can check and confirm whether it's broken or not. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by ChrisSU
wenger2015 posted:
blythe posted:

Unfortunately have not been able to as yet....... I am wondering if it’s even a worthwhile exercise?

If this issue has already shown itself with two different QBs, surely the network has to be the prime suspect - trying it on someone else’s would be the first thing I’d try. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by SpyderTracks
ChrisSU posted:
wenger2015 posted:
blythe posted:

If this issue has already shown itself with two different QBs, surely the network has to be the prime suspect - trying it on someone else’s would be the first thing I’d try. 

Whilst the network may well be problematic (and personally I would never ever use an ISP provided router), this wouldn't have any effect on factory resetting the device. This device throws an error when trying to be factory reset at the device itself.

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by ChrisSU
SpyderTracks posted:
ChrisSU posted:
wenger2015 posted:
blythe posted:

Whilst the network may well be problematic (and personally I would never ever use an ISP provided router), this wouldn't have any effect on factory resetting the device. This device throws an error when trying to be factory reset at the device itself.

Perhaps, but if two different QBs have shown the same problem on the same network, establishing that you have a working one on a different network would be my next step. 

Posted on: 16 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Yes your approach is the correct one in my opinion.. and by the way unless you really know what you are doing and have the right diagnostic equipment for when you need it, I would ALWAYS recommend you USE your ISP provided router, or your ISP recommended alternative .. certainly with i larger ISPs.. if neccessaery change ISPs.  The BT home hub for example is quite an advanced device that is designed to correctly manage the various BT services you might use like BT Vision as well as providing key ISP diagnostic information that can monitor your connection, and BT offer (or did) for consumer use (through their shop)  Draytek routers for those that really need to use alternate technology. Lots of general third party off the shelf  broadband routers could provide a lesser service

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by wenger2015

Yes, as has been suggested,  testing the Qb on another network is possibly a worthwhile exercise...

I will hopefully be able to do so in the next couple of days 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by LarsDK

Do you have 2 LANs? The IP adress is 192.168.1.xxx - is your ipad and other devices operating on the same range?

secondly, i think normally you need some meters distance from the wifi point to QB to ensure network access, maybe 1 meter is too close for qb to connect well

did you try to connect it directly to the HH router/modem via ethernet and not the access point?

hope you will get it to work

Br Lars

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by wenger2015

Yes, both operating on same range, the Qb was a few meters away but moved it to hardwire, and it is connected direct to modem.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by wenger2015

Decided to box up the Qb......... but then decided to just see if it would work one last time?

Bizarrely..... it switched on fine..... its only been two days but it’s still working......?????

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

It knows....

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by wenger2015

It’s gone again......

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by blythe
wenger2015 posted:

It’s gone again......

Try a different network.
(Neighbour's etc)