2 XLR cable to Naim 4 pin for NAP

I am thinking of getting a Naim power amp but I will need a cable that connects my left and right XLR outputs from my pre-amp (yes not a Naim pre-amp) to the 4 pin input of say a NAP250-2.

Can anyone suggest someone who makes and sells this type of cable?  There seems plenty of people who do 2 x RCA to Naim 4 pin but not XLR.

Original Post
angelface posted:

I am thinking of getting a Naim power amp but I will need a cable that connects my left and right XLR outputs from my pre-amp (yes not a Naim pre-amp) to the 4 pin input of say a NAP250-2.

Can anyone suggest someone who makes and sells this type of cable?  There seems plenty of people who do 2 x RCA to Naim 4 pin but not XLR.

The 250 has a 3-pin XLR input, rather than a 4 pin DIN like the 200.

I notice from your profile that you have a passive preamp - I'd be interested to hear how this works with a Naim power amp if you decide to try it. A few people have reported good results with a passive pre, even though a Naim preamp is thought by many to be the heart of a Naim system.

angelface posted:

i have a non naim pre with nap 250 dr.  Chord made me the special cable to connect both.  I use rca / rca to din/xlr.      I know that some use townsend allegri passive with naim amps, with satisfaction.   

angelface posted:

I see that later NAP300 do in fact have dual XLR inputs but they are a bit out of my price range.

Be aware that the XLR Cannon inputs on the big Naim amps are single-ended not balanced.  What ever you do, do not try running a balanced output pre-amp into a Naim power amp using balanced cables.

As others have mentioned, Naim amplifiers are really designed as a whole - i.e. pre and power together, but apart. The power amps in particular require a Naim pre-amp to work at their best.  Like anything, of course there are exceptions to the rule, but why make things hard for yourself when the chances of a happy marriage with anything else are so poor.

I have yet to hear a demo of Naim pre and power amps.  Yes I get that you fan boys like to have a totally Naim system!  I really like the sound of my current pre-amp (Music First Classic V2) but it has a single pair of XLR inputs and a single pair of XLR outputs.  I can (but don't yet) add extra digital sources to my DAC if required.

Having a custom lead made up my Chord or a friendly dealer sounds my best shot at the moment.

Add Reply

Likes (0)