250 DR vs 300

analogmusic posted:

Nigel that's very positive feedback, very pleased to read this.

" it’s like they were sleeping with the 250DR and they are now exuberant and full of life. "

Anyway - it does make  sense.

How else could Naim charge double the money of a NAP 250DR ?

Couldn't be anything to do with a seperate power supply in an extra box?

analogmusic posted:

it is, but I'm sure there is some further engineering too....

there's extra heatsinking and fan cooling too.  Otherwise, it's all about giving space to the electronics and moving them away from the big power supply and into their own separate "quiet room". 

What I don’t understand, and I’ve experienced it twice, is that despite the 300 being only a little more powerful, it makes the speakers sound so much bigger. It’s like it shakes them and brings them to life in a way that the 250 just doesn’t. 

The cost difference is easy to explain in an extra case and the two Burndy wires, plus the fan and things, but as for the difference in sound quality.....

I fully understand Richard's comments. What I don't quite get is why, if there is such a 'night and day' difference, Naim produce any power amps with an integrated power supply. Given they've never aimed their products at any other than aficionados, I can't see much of a problem with an extra case for all such amps, leaving the integrateds for those without such discerning lugs or deep pockets.

Hungryhalibut posted:

What I don’t understand, and I’ve experienced it twice, is that despite the 300 being only a little more powerful, it makes the speakers sound so much bigger. It’s like it shakes them and brings them to life in a way that the 250 just doesn’t. 

The cost difference is easy to explain in an extra case and the two Burndy wires, plus the fan and things, but as for the difference in sound quality.....

Careful Nigel. Any insinuation of magical incantations and the like will have the engineering faction jumping all over you!

Timmo, it's expensive to do so and effectively doubles the cost of the amp. And probably isn't worth doing until you have the constituent parts of something like a NAP250 - i.e. regulated amplifier, big Tx, top transistors etc..

Don't forget, the NAP250DR is a superb power amp by any standard, but a NAP300 is better still - as it should be for double the money.

Timmo1341 posted:

I fully understand Richard's comments. What I don't quite get is why, if there is such a 'night and day' difference, Naim produce any power amps with an integrated power supply. Given they've never aimed their products at any other than aficionados, I can't see much of a problem with an extra case for all such amps, leaving the integrateds for those without such discerning lugs or deep pockets.

I suppose not everyone needs a power amp at 300 level. People like flexibility and the smaller amps allow an upgrade path (ie internal power supplies for the pre-amp to get you going on the pre-power ladder) in smaller steps. 

I had a 250DR until January when I upgraded to a 300DR. The 300DR is much better but it can introduce setup problems because the PS will interfere with lesser PSs above or below it such as the SuperCap DR of my 282. The preamp being one of the most sensitive parts of the system will be affected. The solution is simple: increase the spacing - in my case I doubled it. I also doubled all the spacing. Once I increased the spacing the music constantly gives me a wow. It sounds far better than the entire range in the demo room at the factory.

The Rega box with the red lights is the TT PS, the Aria being behind in the corner to keep it in a quiet place.

Phil

Likes (0)