252 or CD555 ?

Having lived with a CD555 for a couple of months now, I have no hesitation is recommending it, Wenger2015.  It is even better than I thought it would be. To put it into context, I tried my CDX2.2 powered directly with my 555PS. That sounded pretty good but it fell well short of my then four-box CD set-up of CDX2.2/XP5XS-DC1-nDAC/555PS.  And the CD555 is head and shoulders above my old four-box set-up.     And, of course, currently there are bargains to be had on CD555 head units, and you've already got the 555PS.  

MDS posted:

Having lived with a CD555 for a couple of months now, I have no hesitation is recommending it, Wenger2015.  It is even better than I thought it would be. To put it into context, I tried my CDX2.2 powered directly with my 555PS. That sounded pretty good but it fell well short of my then four-box CD set-up of CDX2.2/XP5XS-DC1-nDAC/555PS.  And the CD555 is head and shoulders above my old four-box set-up.     And, of course, currently there are bargains to be had on CD555 head units, and you've already got the 555PS.  

Glad to hear you are very happy with your CD555 and feel it’s a more then worthwhile upgrade....

I have been more them aware that many naimites are trading in .... and have been contemplating taking advantage of the situation....

davidf posted:

Can Naim service cd5555 for long time?

i have cds2 so no replacements for me afaik

david

My dealer assured me on that point, David. Indeed, he said that Naim have CD mechs and lid mechs stored individually for each CD555 sold. 

Well, as I've said on here before, I'm not a fan of the 252, preferring the excitement of the 282 so you'll need to hear the 252 against the 282 for yourself. What I'm in no doubt about is how good the CD555 is. I think that will hold true what ever pre-amp it is feeding.

Mike 

MDS posted:

Well, as I've said on here before, I'm not a fan of the 252, preferring the excitement of the 282 so you'll need to hear the 252 against the 282 for yourself. What I'm in no doubt about is how good the CD555 is. I think that will hold true what ever pre-amp it is feeding.

Mike 

That’s very reassuring to hear, due to the fact, if I decide to favour the CD555 option, I may well be purchasing without the usual home dem.

As for having a dem for the 252 that’s not a problem as I have a very accommodating dealer... 

French Rooster posted:

those who bought recentry the nd555 have sold their cd555.  It is an opportunity now to buy a cd555 for a good price.  The 252 will be easier to buy in the future.

There is also second hand nds at good prices now.

Yeah and also cd’s will become more and more available at good prices...

analogmusic posted:

Not sure about that. The CD555 to my ears sounds very similar to an ND555.

which would one rather have, an LP12, or a CD555.

for me the answer is clear -  I would take the CD555 as CD's are available, but LP's not as much.

Not quite sure where the LP12 came into the equation

The question was 252 or 555 ....

MDS posted:

Mike, presumably you ditched the nDac or no longer use the 555PS

Phil

Back from walking 452 miles from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela for robocap dot org dot uk. £4435 raised so far for equipment for our NHS

Another vote for the CD555. If  you have the opportunity to get one at a reasonable price and you have a decent silver disc collection, this is an opportunity i' d not miss

For the preamp, if you like the presentation of CDX2/282, the 252 may be not totally satisfying. For the record i followed the same route. CDX2/555ps into  Nait XS , then  282/HC and finally  upgraded to 552 

Regards

Roberto

Just to answer a few questions...

Regarding Streaming.... I have heard the 272 now on many many occasions. No disrespect to anyone owning the 272, it’s only personal opinion and we like what we like but i found it somewhat underwhelming....maybe it’s virtues had been overhyped and I was expecting to much but it has put me off the streaming route for the time being although with the price dropping through the floor on the NDS I haven’t dismissed it completely.

The 252 has always been described as being refined and grown up, which is a description that appeals to the type of sound I like.

The CDS3 and The CD555  reviews and forum comments seem to put these two in a different league, the CD555 described as being closest to the ND555........but any opportunity to demo is quite remote.

As for 552,  I don’t think I could ever justify the cost considering my system sounds extremely good as is..

Filipe posted:

MDS posted:

Mike, presumably you ditched the nDac or no longer use the 555PS

Phil

Back from walking 452 miles from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela for robocap dot org dot uk. £4435 raised so far for equipment for our NHS

Hi Phil

The 555PSDR I used on the nDAC is now on the CD555.  My Ndac, supplemented by an XP5XS, is now used as a secondary source to play some albums that I have downloaded and have on USB sticks.

Mike

Wenger, glad to hear you have not totally dismissed the streaming route I've not had a CD player for a few years adopting the streaming route some time ago. A well set up streaming system can be immensely enjoyable and a very convenient way to listen to music.

Could you not home demo a CD555 or NDS ?

The 282 against the 252 has divided opinions but I much preferred the presentation of the 252 over the 282 in a back to back demo at my dealers all down to personal choice like a lot of other things in the Naim Black Box world.

I used a NDX with a XPSdr in my system for several years and found it a extermely capable and enjoyable combination at its price point but then the Beast arrived enough said ! 

Good hunting as they say.

Bert Schurink posted:

Assuming you want to stay with cd replay I would suggest the 282, while the 252 is a bet with longer term reach.

Naim stuff takes ages to give its best. Most demos don’t last long enough to really reveal the differences. They give a hint but then you get a long period where you doubt your choice. Really pleased now with my 252 (282 + SCDR before) and 555PS on nDAC (XPSDR before). Perhaps it needed nearly 2 months of pilgrimage, walking 452 miles from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela, to get HiFi out of the mind! It comes down to personal priorities.

Source first, then 252.

As according to your profile you seem to use both tt and CD player/555 and that will help improve a lot both sources.

Hungryhalibut’s advice is also interesting, I was hooked after listening to cds3/555 a long time ago and 552 is superb.

Furthermore 252 and cd555 should be done at the same time I reckon.

analogmusic posted:

Not sure about that. The CD555 to my ears sounds very similar to an ND555.

which would one rather have, an LP12, or a CD555.

for me the answer is clear -  I would take the CD555 as CD's are available, but LP's not as much.

Both, is the answer! and I have many LPs on my shelves.

Clive

Add Reply