4.6 update and upgrade sound quality ?

Bonjour M Rooster.   Yes it does bring a change to SQ, this was established in the beta testing.  With my NDX in my system & room & to my ear/brain interface,  the presentation is more dynamic & punchy,  bass is firmer, treble has detail,  sound stage has width & depth.   Instrument & voices are natural & I find it easier to follow & position individuals.     I read the same with NDS & 272 colleagues .    See other threads on this same subject

Mike-B posted:

Bonjour M Rooster.   Yes it does bring a change to SQ, this was established in the beta testing.  With my NDX in my system & room & to my ear/brain interface,  the presentation is more dynamic & punchy,  bass is firmer, treble has detail,  sound stage has width & depth.   Instrument & voices are natural & I find it easier to follow & position individuals.     I read the same with NDS & 272 colleagues .    See other threads on this same subject

hello Mike, i hope you are right. But how can you be certain, sure at 100%, because this update is not yet available.  Naim have told you that ?

French Rooster posted:

You have already installed the 4.6 update?

French Rooster posted:

How to do the update?   install the update on a pc first?   windows 7 will work?  then connect the usb to mini usb cable between pc and nds, and after?

YES  .........  pre 4.6 beta & todays 4.6

Follow the instructions:  Naim seem to have released only english language today.  But in meantime go to release v4.4 to read French instructions & download the USB driver.  Then go to release v4.6 & download 4.6 Western Europe

Mike-B posted:
French Rooster posted:

You have already installed the 4.6 update?

French Rooster posted:

How to do the update?   install the update on a pc first?   windows 7 will work?  then connect the usb to mini usb cable between pc and nds, and after?

YES  .........  pre 4.6 beta & todays 4.6

Follow the instructions:  Naim seem to have released only english language today.  But in meantime go to release v4.4 to read French instructions & download the USB driver.  Then go to release v4.6 & download 4.6 Western Europe

i had installed the 4.4 version more than 1 year ago with the help of one dealer.  I didn’t remember exactly how i did it.   Do i need to download the usb driver also before the 4.6 update?

The original rationale for the upgrade (about 2 1/2 years ago) was, in large part, to address dropouts on Tidal. The multi-room requirement came later (Autumn 2016). Since then, I think (correct if I’m wrong please) Tidal have improved their infrastructure and a lot us have improved our own network performance, so perhaps it’s a less pressing issue.

Keith

Just updated to the new firmware on my N272 and Unitlite - I noticed that for the N272, there was an update to the DSP and Streamer - but on the Unitlite, there was no DSP update.... so do I assume that any sound quality improvement will only be on the N272?

I don't think you should assume that the UL and UQ DSPs are unchanged. They use a different DSP to the more expensive units, so the way the firmware is bundled is probably different. I today updated my UQ, UL, SU and 272. I'm listening to the UQ at the moment and I may be imagining it, but it sounds wonderful to me.

best

David

Mike-B posted:

If you upgraded your ND using your current computer, the driver is already installed.      

As Mike says. I did the update today with the same Windows 7 PC that I did the 4.4 update two years ago or so and I didn't have to reinstall the drivers.

best

David

Finkfan posted:

I’ve not had chance to update my 272 yet, but I’d be interested to hear of any improvement from others who have. 

I have definitely perceived SQ benefits. Bass is firmer and slightly more extended. Mids are clearer without anything being unduly accented, as if some distortion has been removed. They are also what might be described as firmer or tighter, with a bit more body in the mid-mid (ie as opposed to upper mid or lower mid). Treble appears to have less sibilance.

I wouldn't say the changes were massive, but the sound is more satisfying to me now.

Naturally I might just be imagining it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

PS, I should add, good work, beta testers and DSP team. Gold stars all round.

Finkfan posted:

I’ve not had chance to update my 272 yet, but I’d be interested to hear of any improvement from others who have. 

272 updated yesterday, but spent last night checking all inputs were working, so didn’t stream upnp properly until I came in today. It does sound different in a better way. Just listening to Tori Amos native invader, and I have no desire to stop listening. Very immersive sound. More open and bass is better than before. Certainly worth the effort!

Like others, I also perceive the firmware to bring some SQ benefits with tighter and more pronounced bass and able to play at lower listening levels.  I normally turn the 272 to about 35 and closer to 40 if I want to turn it up. Since the update, leaving it at 35 is more than enough volume to get immersed. 

docmark posted:

How do I download the drivers using a Mac?  When I open Naim Streamer Updater, the only item I see on the drop down menu is Bluetooth Incoming Port.

This is the direct link to the USB driver for Mac. The link was included in the PDF named "Naim Streaming Products_Firmware Update Guide (MAC)" contained in the download folder of the 4.4 Software Update from the Naim website.

Thanks Rightcoastants - everything worked smoothly, my 272 rebooted and just after doing some listening, I must say that I'm impressed.  Soundstage is wider, bass seems more controlled and not at all sloppy.  I don't know that it's a black box upgrade, but something sure sounds better.

Finkfan posted:

I’m having issues installing the USB driver on my laptop. I just get the message...

Cannot complete the device driver installation wizard

Errors were encountered etc. 

Ive tried a few time. Same every time. 

Any ideas?? 

Are you running one of the recent Mac OS? 

Eoink posted:
Mike-B posted:

........  we need @hungryhalibut to chip in (or should that be swim in)    he wrote up a good & positive description of the 272 sound with the new DSP in the beta test thread.  

Halibut and chips Mike?

More lyrical, engaging and natural was my conclusion. It seems easier to follow the musical strands, but without being overs analytical. It was slightly different in beta with the 272: with the other streamers Naim found a DSP version they were all happy with, but with the 272 it was felt that more performance could be squeezed out, which thankfully came to fruition. One interesting test I did was with a Gang if Four album, Return the Gift, where the new DSP was throwing vocal effects six feet to the left of the left speaker, which I didn’t recall happening previously. It takes a few days to get used to the new sound and assess changes - it cannot be done as quick A/B comparisons. It’s where the beta becomes interesting, it’s easy to identify if X or Y works or doesn’t (often hard to fix for Naim’s tech team thought) but much more challenging to identify which version of DSP is best, bearing in mind that everyone’s setup is different and that what is initially impressive can be annoying long term. I think, with the 272 at least, that Naim have done a fantastic job on this, and have squeezed more performance from the humble streaming preamp than I thought possible. It’s very reassuring that, so far, others are pleased with the changes. 

Adam Zielinski posted:
Finkfan posted:

I’m having issues installing the USB driver on my laptop. I just get the message...

Cannot complete the device driver installation wizard

Errors were encountered etc. 

Ive tried a few time. Same every time. 

Any ideas?? 

Are you running one of the recent Mac OS? 

Hi Adam

No, I’m running Windows 7 or 8, can’t remember which now, on a Sony viao laptop 

Will the upgrade help me as well, having ND5XS with nDAC ?

If the upgrade for the ND5XS only has improved on the things that the nDAC takes care of (when paired together) then there will be no reason for me to upgrade the firmware. 

Or ???

Claus

It can be done over wireless,  some laptops have no ethernet connection.   Personally, although I've tried wireless (once) I always use ethernet:    I have to run the USB cable,   the extra time needed to run the ethernet to my router or net-switch positions is nothing.

@Finkfan Unfortunately you need to have the USB connection and as well both the unit and the PC have to be connected to the internet (I suspect the latter is actually on the same Lan with IP addresses allocated, but it boils down to the same thing). It won't work without both and the reason is that some of the update is delivered over the USB connection and some of it is delivered over the Ethernet connection.

best

David

fernar posted:

When I did my upgrade on both the N272 and Unitlite - both hardware were connected to the internet via a wired connection, but my laptop was connected via wifi.... in both cases the update worked without any issues.

I’ve always used WiFi, without problems. 

Finkfan posted:

Useful info guys. If I can’t get the driver to work I’ll try and update via Ethernet. 

Do you have access to another laptop? I successfully installed the USB driver on my Dell laptop  (if I can trust the Device Manager), but the update software didn't recognise/find my streamer. Tried again and again -- without success. I then tried the same with our rather ancient Samsung laptop -- I did exactly the same, but this time the update went through without any problem. No clue why a new Dell could deliver what they old Samsung did... Just relieved that I didn't need to bother Phil...

I read in a much earlier post a day or two back that the USB drivers come in two flavours. Generic Windows and Windows 7, 8 and 10 version. The poster had to delete the generic Windows driver he had installed which didn't work and install the later one, which then did work. No doubt this post can be found if someone wants to look for it.

best

David

David Hendon posted:

I read in a much earlier post a day or two back that the USB drivers come in two flavours. Generic Windows and Windows 7, 8 and 10 version. The poster had to delete the generic Windows driver he had installed which didn't work and install the later one, which then did work. No doubt this post can be found if someone wants to look for it.

best

David

I used the same driver with both the Dell and Samsung laptops -- so that "variable" is stable and can't explain why the Dell did not work...

I have a super duper fast and up-to-date laptop on Win10 that won't work no matter what drivers I try to install on it. I also have a wheezing, clunky old laptop on Win7 that will get Com3 and run the update without a hitch. Unfortunately, the link posted further up the thread didn't help. But I do appreciate people trying to help. Maybe Naim can weigh in?

Timo posted:
David Hendon posted:

best

David

I used the same driver with both the Dell and Samsung laptops -- so that "variable" is stable and can't explain why the Dell did not work...

Well it could explain it, if the driver is ok for your "rather ancient" Samsung but not for your newer Dell. But anyway I'm just saying this worked for someone else.

best

David

I installed the latest version for Win-10 & now have this & the old generic multi-Win version also installed.    When I connected up the USB cable it connected OK,  no idea which driver its selecting but who cares.    The point is you can load both.    With Win-10 it installs in OS>Programs>DIFX

marcobb posted:

According to the upgrade process, there mention the PC need connect to the network use wired, anybody try to use the wireless instead of wired ?

Is it wireless connect to the network also work ?

yes I have updated use a wireless connection otherwise I would have to move the SU near the modem.
everything was simple and it worked.
I did not understand why  need to update with devices connected to the network if the update is installed on the PC

Anto68 posted:
marcobb posted:

According to the upgrade process, there mention the PC need connect to the network use wired, anybody try to use the wireless instead of wired ?

Is it wireless connect to the network also work ?

yes I have updated use a wireless connection otherwise I would have to move the SU near the modem.
everything was simple and it worked.
I did not understand why  need to update with devices connected to the network if the update is installed on the PC

It's because some of the update is delivered over the USB connection and some of it is delivered over the ethernet/wifi connection. You need both.

best

David

ChrisR_EPL posted:

My ND5XS seems to have lost a bit of ooomph unless it's turned up a lot more. Anyone else noticed it?

Absolutely, couldn't believe my ears (just ike a psu).

Always a good sign, in fact voices and details are more real and highs more airy and less shrilling, no mid bass omph.

When turned up a whole new musical experience. 

Hmm. I'm not convinced by the DSP update. On my system there's now a bass bloom and the classically 'Naim' midrange hump has gone. I watched a film through it last night and it was noticeably harder to hear the voices due to midrange recess. The bass was like pushing a loudness button.  I hope it's an adjustment period. I'll listen again later at reasonable levels. I imagine it'll sound better through NACA5 than Tellurium Q. This is, in no way, a criticism of our esteemed Beta testers, simply a reaction to how my own system sounds. 

I've just done my 272 and I find a significant improvement to SQ... By no means the equivalent to a 'black box' upgrade, more like the effect of upgrading interconnect cables.

I find vocals clearer and instrumental timbres a bit better differentiated, I also think the microdynamics have been sharpened a little giving a sense of it being a little louder at any given actual volume level.  As others have found, I think the bass seems stronger and more controlled, I don't believe that the volume of the bass has increased, just that it seems more defined and the low bass and mid bass are better integrated both between themselves and to the midrange so that it stays clearer and fades less into the general mix

Looking at the posts here while there are differences to peoples perception of vocals and mid-range performance consistent between the different streamers (most notably between devices with the Analogue Devices DSP chip and those without), the perception of stronger bass does seem to be consistent across all the platforms.

Thank-you for the free upgrade to my N272, it now sounds fresher, cleaner especially on male vocals and piano.   I can hear a slightly bloom to some bass notes, but that was quickly fixed by bringing the speakers 5cm from the back wall, which in turn opens the top end out.

easy upgrade once I'd updated the 64bit drivers , used a very short 10cm USB cable, which can reach to my laptop

Mu-so OBlong updated via the app smoothly...again seems cleaner and Mu-so QB is awaiting it's new f/w

Huge posted:

I've just done my 272 and I find a significant improvement to SQ... By no means the equivalent to a 'black box' upgrade, more like the effect of upgrading interconnect cables.

I find vocals clearer and instrumental timbres a bit better differentiated, I also think the microdynamics have been sharpened a little giving a sense of it being a little louder at any given actual volume level.  As others have found, I think the bass seems stronger and more controlled, I don't believe that the volume of the bass has increased, just that it seems more defined and the low bass and mid bass are better integrated both between themselves and to the midrange so that it stays clearer and fades less into the general mix

Looking at the posts here while there are differences to peoples perception of vocals and mid-range performance consistent between the different streamers, the perception of stronger bass does seem to be consistent across all the platforms.

I wish I could report on whether my 272 sounds different after the 4.6 upgrade but my left ear is completely blocked so I can’t really hear anything!! I’m booked in for the syringe treatment on Tuesday morning. I anticipate that will be - by far - the biggest upgrade of the week for my system...

S3 posted:

I wish I could report on whether my 272 sounds different after the 4.6 upgrade but my left ear is completely blocked so I can’t really hear anything!! I’m booked in for the syringe treatment on Tuesday morning. I anticipate that will be - by far - the biggest upgrade of the week for my system...

Na...  Just buy a 555PSDR for the 272 - it's a much bigger upgrade!

Hungryhalibut posted:
Eoink posted:
Mike-B posted:

........  we need @hungryhalibut to chip in (or should that be swim in)    he wrote up a good & positive description of the 272 sound with the new DSP in the beta test thread.  

Halibut and chips Mike?

More lyrical, engaging and natural was my conclusion. It seems easier to follow the musical strands, but without being overs analytical. It was slightly different in beta with the 272: with the other streamers Naim found a DSP version they were all happy with, but with the 272 it was felt that more performance could be squeezed out, which thankfully came to fruition. One interesting test I did was with a Gang if Four album, Return the Gift, where the new DSP was throwing vocal effects six feet to the left of the left speaker, which I didn’t recall happening previously. It takes a few days to get used to the new sound and assess changes - it cannot be done as quick A/B comparisons. It’s where the beta becomes interesting, it’s easy to identify if X or Y works or doesn’t (often hard to fix for Naim’s tech team thought) but much more challenging to identify which version of DSP is best, bearing in mind that everyone’s setup is different and that what is initially impressive can be annoying long term. I think, with the 272 at least, that Naim have done a fantastic job on this, and have squeezed more performance from the humble streaming preamp than I thought possible. It’s very reassuring that, so far, others are pleased with the changes. 

Not to hijack the thread but I had to question the use of a Gang of Four album in terms of Hi Fi testing until I fired up the track 'Return the Gift' from the only album I have of theirs, the compilation 'A Brief History of the Twentieth Century' and wow what incredible production, how did this sit in the collection so long without me appreciating it's sonic wonders.

Checking out the producers, I was amazed to see and now understand why: Jimmy Douglass, Mike Howlett and The Albert Brothers.

Anyway thanks HH for this. Now back to main topic of the thread......

Just updated my first version Unitiqute from 3.22 to 4.6 at long last. Tried years ago but could never get the update to stick. Had to update the driver for my RS232 cable and used my Mac Pro desktop. Sounds better for sure - I'm able to play at higher volumes with less fatigue - individual instruments seem to stick out more and easier to follow. Couldn't be more pleased. 

Updated the Mu-so in the bedroom as well but no chance to listen to yet - it's really mostly for TV duty anyway. Really, really wish the mu-so had a way to play via headphones - didn't realize that wasn't the case when I purchased it. Bad design on Naim's part but that's getting OT. 

I did the upgrade yesterday.  After listening for a couple of hours my impression is a more natural sound.  Timbre is better and the presentation more tamed.  Easier to listen.  My previous system was rather in the warm side and I always found the 272 a bit forward in the presentation.  That is gone for better.  Much, much natural though I cannot ping point what they did.  

I feel that the upgrade lower the noise floor.  You can play it louder while maintaining clarity.  Keeping the the volume at 43, where I normally listen CDs that not overcooked, give me the impression of a lower SPL.  I am going to check the SPL tonight.  I am intrigued whether is a perception or real.

Great job, Naim!

AndyP19 posted:

Not to hijack the thread but I had to question the use of a Gang of Four album in terms of Hi Fi testing until I fired up the track 'Return the Gift' from the only album I have of theirs, the compilation 'A Brief History of the Twentieth Century' and wow what incredible production, how did this sit in the collection so long without me appreciating it's sonic wonders.

Checking out the producers, I was amazed to see and now understand why: Jimmy Douglass, Mike Howlett and The Albert Brothers.

OK, so curiosity got the better of me and I tried this on Tidal. Interesting, but not my cup of tea! @hungryhalibut delights and surprises me with his eclectic tastes. Personally I think a better contemporary demo of 4.6 is Private Investigations/Dire straits. Stunning, dramatic sound.

One of my fondest teenage memories was dancing with my arm around Andy Gill, bopping in the dark, sharing a cheap bottle of "champagne," to a scratchy record of the Supremes, at a house party after their gig here in Seattle in 1981. Yes, The Supremes. Both confused and inspired the hell out of this impressionable punk rock seventeen year old. Good music is good music, as long as it's intention is right and it moves you. Damaged goods, not....

Ok, after extracting the files I finally got the driver to install, or so it says. I’ve run the Naim updater and on the connection check screen it asks to select a serial port...and it’s blank. Over one hurdle, straight on to the next.

Suggestions hugely appreciated!! 

FINKFAN,

I feel your pain.I have previously updated my ndx successfully before so thought it would be straight forward.I was of course mistaken.After over 3 hours and a lot of head scratching I got it to work.The problem is if I'm honest is that if I done it again I would still struggle as I think it was lucky I succeeded.Stick with it,I am sure you will get there and when you do the reward will be worth it.

Good luck

Mike-B posted:

Mike (or anyone else) , despite searching, I can’t find the other threads on the same subject. Can anyone steer me right please?

Also, there seems so far to be unanimous positive comment from 272 owners. I’d be interested to hear what NDS owners think. I did the update on mine yesterday and the jury is still out. Agree on improved Vocal intelligibility and other positives, but struggling a bit with the  upper/mid bass region which for want of a better term sounds slightly foggy and slow. The overall sound has also lost some air and the portrayal of the acoustic in which the recording was made seems to have suffered. Hmm.

Another key point as I mentioned a while back in the thread is that the USB lead needs to have the data connections as well as the power connections. If you are using a USB lead that basically came with a USB charger, the data connections may not be made. When I updated my streamers, the first lead I tried didn't connect but the second was fine.

kevin J Carden posted:
Mike-B posted:

Mike (or anyone else) , despite searching, I can’t find the other threads on the same subject. Can anyone steer me right please?

Also, there seems so far to be unanimous positive comment from 272 owners. I’d be interested to hear what NDS owners think. I did the update on mine yesterday and the jury is still out. Agree on improved Vocal intelligibility and other positives, but struggling a bit with the  upper/mid bass region which for want of a better term sounds slightly foggy and slow. The overall sound has also lost some air and the portrayal of the acoustic in which the recording was made seems to have suffered. Hmm.

It's the thread in Streaming Audio called "New firmware this week" . Start from the latest and work back I suggest.

I don't have an NDS but I have read all the posts here and in the beta forum during testing and lots of people reported on the NDS SQ. it was generally regarded as improved by this update. 

Best

David

I unanimously think it’s a significant improvement for the NDS, the same way as described by 272 owners. My caveat would be that I spent soooo long in beta land I can’t now remember what the production firmware sounded like. I do know that I very quickly felt this version was right. Tight, dynamic and natural.

Keith

The more I listen with the new firmware, the bigger the upgrade seems to be.  Not that it changes, just that I'm gradually realising how good it is.

Presumably different folks will hear different degrees of improvement based on their particular systems, rooms etc.  But in my case it is quite significant.  And especially considering that I didn't even know the new firmware would make any SQ difference until yesterday, I'm very pleased indeed with it.

Thanks David. I’ve seen the ‘new software this week’ thread, but mistakenly thought MikeB was referring to other threads. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Keith, good to hear. I must say that it sounds better to me today than it did after initial installation yesterday. Whether that’s because the full impact of changes to the sound takes time to happen (is that possible with firmware?) or whether it’s the firmware between my ears that needs to adjust I don’t know. I will persevere! 

Donkeyhaute posted:

Hmm. I'm not convinced by the DSP update. On my system there's now a bass bloom and the classically 'Naim' midrange hump has gone. I watched a film through it last night and it was noticeably harder to hear the voices due to midrange recess. The bass was like pushing a loudness button.  I hope it's an adjustment period. I'll listen again later at reasonable levels. I imagine it'll sound better through NACA5 than Tellurium Q. This is, in no way, a criticism of our esteemed Beta testers, simply a reaction to how my own system sounds. 

I experienced exactly the same thing, I found the bass a bit overpowering in my room and it made the music harder to follow, everything got a bit warm and drums and guitar lost their attack. But it does seem to have got better with time, either I've adjusted or my NDS and PSU have warmed up after the restarts, probably a combination of both. I do have a bit more listening to do before I'm convinced I prefer the new presentation, but a big thanks to Naim and the beta team, appreciate your efforts and for me, not having to restart the app every 30 minutes is a great improvement.

Harry posted:

Thanks for that link.

4.6 installed on NDS here and sounding as good as ever. Audible difference on my NDS? Not sure. But it doesn't need to sound any better.

Same here. Upgraded NDS to 4.6, and (still) sounds wonderful.

Thanks very much to the beta test team - your efforts are much appreciated!  

I think Naim should provide all of you with t-shirts or hoodies printed with “Boldly going where no Naim Uniti or Streamer has gone before”. 

KRM posted:

I unanimously think it’s a significant improvement for the NDS, the same way as described by 272 owners. My caveat would be that I spent soooo long in beta land I can’t now remember what the production firmware sounded like. I do know that I very quickly felt this version was right. Tight, dynamic and natural.

Keith

+1. I've seen loooong slow and frustrating progress in the beta program with this f/w development for over two years now. Many false starts and blind alleys. Naim has worked with great tenacity to overcome huge technical hurdles for multiroom, and then they topped that with great SQ improvements for the 272 (and other platforms from what I've read). This release is very significant in my opinion, even though I don't multiroom. It's sad that so many folks are having trouble installing it, some even calling it a day with Naim. I urge those experiencing such difficulties to perservere. I appreciate it requires a bit of technical know-how. But I am used to f/w upgrading so I can assure you it is not so hard with the right USB cable, device driver etc etc. Worst case, a dealer can sort it for you.

Atherton posted:
AndyP19 posted:

OK, so curiosity got the better of me and I tried this on Tidal. Interesting, but not my cup of tea! @hungryhalibut delights and surprises me with his eclectic tastes. Personally I think a better contemporary demo of 4.6 is Private Investigations/Dire straits. Stunning, dramatic sound.

Just heard this Dire Straits track for the first time. On my Pre updated 272/250 it sounds stunning. Looking forward to the updated rendition on he weekend! Thanks @Atherton

Olly posted:

Has anyone else had the album art go awol from the Nova display and if so know what the fix is?

Big smiles on the SQ front here. 

Olly

I only know of the album artwork freezing which Naim owe a firmware update. If it’s totally missing you should contact your dealer or Naim. I presume you have tried unplugging and then powering up again? That fix’s the artwork freeze, until it happens again.

Olly posted:

Has anyone else had the album art go awol from the Nova display and if so know what the fix is?

Olly

Yes my artwork has gone walkabouts from the Nova, via Unitiserve but not Tidal, have asked my dealer to get back to me, he is going to consult Naim tomorrow.

I think that my NDS sounds better now (firmware 4.6).
Tighter, darker, shiny sound, better timing and resolution, extra purity to the higher notes, better 3D, easier to follow, more interesting.
Due to a darker/shiny sound, instruments colours (naturalness) were changed - it's hard to know if I prefer the new sound.
Piano sounds different, by quite a margin. Some albums sound "weird" now. I will wait a few days to see what's up.

I believe it's a taste of what we will experience with the ND555.

BP.

Still a bit early to be sure, but I think vocals are easier to follow after updating the Nova. On vinyl I put this down to a new phono stage but listened to some familiar CD rips and streams from Tidal tonight and it appears there is an improvement. Sounds promising.

I posted the other day in the other firmware thread that I was not happy with the sound in this upgrade on my Atom. After a few more days I am still not convinced by it, it just seems to be too bright and lost some of the low and middle, I agree vocals seem more pronounced and I can hear more instrumentation but at the loss of warmth and overall depth. Not a happy camper I get listening fatigue from it now and can't afford another upgrade  if thats what is needed to balance this out, was just right before the update it had just got to the sweet spot, 

glasnaim posted:
Olly posted:

Olly

Yes my artwork has gone walkabouts from the Nova, via Unitiserve but not Tidal, have asked my dealer to get back to me, he is going to consult Naim tomorrow.

Naim are now aware of this issue, and are investigating it. So far it seems to affect the new Uniti streamers when used with a Unitiserve - but it would be interesting to know if anyone has experienced the same issue with other UPnP servers?

Hook posted:
Harry posted:

Thanks for that link.

4.6 installed on NDS here and sounding as good as ever. Audible difference on my NDS? Not sure. But it doesn't need to sound any better.

I think Naim should provide all of you with t-shirts or hoodies printed with “Boldly going where no Naim Uniti or Streamer has gone before”. 

Can I install it on my own, and if yes how do I do it. So far I had the dealer doing it when he stopped by.

ChrisSU posted:
glasnaim posted:
Olly posted:

Olly

Naim are now aware of this issue, and are investigating it. So far it seems to affect the new Uniti streamers when used with a Unitiserve - but it would be interesting to know if anyone has experienced the same issue with other UPnP servers?

I'm using Serviio as my UPnP server and no issues with album art (switched between server, Tidal, radio, Roon - all fine).

Bert Schurink posted:
Hook posted:
Harry posted:

Thanks for that link.

Can I install it on my own, and if yes how do I do it. So far I had the dealer doing it when he stopped by.

Bert

if you look at the Naim post at the top of the Streaming Audio room and scroll down to the bottom, there is a video and instructions on how to do the install of firmware on NDS etc. You need the right driver for your PC and Naim have forgotten to include the link in these instructions but you can get it if you look at the instructions for the 4.4 firmware release in the updates section of Naim's homepage. If having read/seen all of that you still don't know what to do, then it would be best to get your dealer to do it.  It's not hard to do yourself, but if you have never done it before, there are some tricky bits to navigate, as reading this thread will tell you.

best

David

morning

I played a few tracks last night on my NDX (2014) build and YES i have to say the sound has moved up a couple of levels - more detail - focus  - image

i was thinking the DR on my 300 was the cause, however I can say the firmware update has increased detail accross the board

hope the update works for those members who have not sorted

but very pleased at the moment

Installed the new version last night on my NDX. I've done several updates before and all gone 100% hassle free. Not this time :-(

Detected the NDX fine. I selected the f/w file (western europe), it tried to start copying across and the NDX display said upgrading but nothing happened. I left if for 10 mins... still nothing. Ended up aborting it. NDX off/on. Start again. Thankfully it worked the second time but it did a full reset at the end so I had to resetup my settings and network config. The only difference between what I did this time and the last update was last time it was windows 7 and now windows 10, that's all I can think of. It's kinda put me off doing any more f/w updates :-(

PS too early to say if I can perceive any changes/improvements. After an hour sweating over the update I was too stressed ;-)

solwisesteve posted:

....................  only difference between what I did this time and the last update was last time it was windows 7 and now windows 10, that's all I can think of. It's kinda put me off doing any more f/w updates :-(

I've done quite a few updates (beta testing) on my NDX.   During that time I've gone through a few Windows variants, mostly all with Win-10 & I've not had any problems.      I suspect you might have found a problem with the SiLabs USB driver,  its been reported by others.  but I've not seen any response from Naim on what might be going on.    That said I've loaded the latest SiLabs driver link included in the Naim 4.6 instructions .pdf issued this week,   and again I've not had problems.   

I start to be pissed off with this update/USB driver, so far 3 Computers (HP, Lenovo & Dell -> all quite new) where I'm not able to install this USB driver & make it work. It tries to install the driver when USB connected "USB not recognized" & gives an error when installing driver from the correct www page "cannot complete"...  Tried also 2 different USB cables (working ones).

Anyone else having this type of issue?

Gandalf_fi posted:

I start to be pissed off with this update/USB driver, so far 3 Computers (HP, Lenovo & Dell -> all quite new) where I'm not able to install this USB driver & make it work. It tries to install the driver when USB connected "USB not recognized" & gives an error when installing driver from the correct www page "cannot complete"... 

Anyone else having this type of issue?

You have to install the driver in a particular way. 

1) do it with nothing connected to the USB socket. I would restart the PC as well so it forgets what you had connected.

2) it's a while since I did this but I think you have to download and save the driver executable to your PC (eg the desktop) and then run it from there, rather than from the web page. It should install. But it's not a normal driver and doesn't show up until you connect your PC to eg a Naim product.

I hope this helps 

best

David

It’s most likely to be due to using a USB cable that is for charging mobile phones only rather than data transfer. The first time I did this I rooted around in the kitchen drawer for a mini usb cable; I had about 15 from previous mobile phones we’d had down the years. None of them worked as they were all charging only cables.

I went to Maplin and bought a data capable cable and it then worked fine.

Hope it gets sorted..

S3 posted:

It’s most likely to be due to using a USB cable that is for charging mobile phones only rather than data transfer. The first time I did this I rooted around in the kitchen drawer for a mini usb cable; I had about 15 from previous mobile phones we’d had down the years. None of them worked as they were all charging only cables.

I went to Maplin and bought a data capable cable and it then worked fine.

Hope it gets sorted..

This is definitely correct and I had the same experience of the first cable not working. But you have to get the driver installed before connecting any cable to the USB.

best

David

It has nothing to do with the cable, both are for data usage & working. Somehow the driver cannot be installed properly, Win 10 in this case. Not even if I installed it without the cable & booted the PC first... Why an earth USB & update can be this difficult?

OK I got it, it tooked 3 years to make this update & it is teasing me a BIT !!!

First there was no COM port available.

So I went off looking for drivers.

Tried all sorts until I found some that would install.

Them I got COM4 but no hook up with the streamer.

Went off and searched for more drivers, cables, etc.....

I've been over this so many times that my credit controller wants to raise an invoice to send to Naim!

Meanwhile, back on my clunky old laptop, which was earmarked for recycling in the near future, the drivers work perfectly and the updates run without a hitch.  And no, I don't have the original driver installer on this machine. Bugger!

If my old laptop had failed or been passed on, my flash new one would be nothing more than a sophisticated paperweight for this task and I would have pulled all of my (remaining) hair out.

I'm not IT stupid.  And I can RTFM. This isn't right. I think the user base needs more support from Naim HQ.

Could be a sales loser.

The so called upgrade has made my NDS sound worse. Yes a bit more detail but it also sounds brighter/harsher than before. The overall balance sound wrong too with bass emphasis and the sound stage is odd. The left/right speaker balance is too pronounced whereas before the speakers seem to disappear when listening.

I'll do a factory reset and give it another couple of days but at the moment I'm more inclined to sacrifice the extra detail and bass for the smoother and more balanced sound of the previous version. Is it possible to go back?

wasn't sure about upgrading my NDS as it was sounding might fine anyhow - "if it ain't broke etc..." -- but curiosity got the better of me and in any case its probably a good idea to be always up to date firmware-wise

upgrade was very straight forward, just finished.

there is definitely a difference in SQ -- will need to assess a little more carefully when I have more time over this weekend and when the new firmware has "run-in" 

enjoy...

ken

Huge posted:

For those using Windows 10...

To work reliably on Win10 you now do need V6.7.5 of the driver (not the older V6.7).

Problem is how to ID if its v6.7 & v6.7.5.      The latest Naim .pdf has only one link to SiLabs & it installs whats on that link.  The link just shows as http://www.silabs.com/Support%...210x_VCP_Windows.zip & it downloads whatever tis on that link.   

The downloaded zip & then the installed driver has no such ID,  it shows as "CP210xVCPInstaller_x64"  & in properties there is no ref to anything like v6.7.

Do you have any how to find v6.7 info ????

Mike-B posted:
Huge posted:

To work reliably on Win10 you now do need V6.7.5 of the driver (not the older V6.7).

Problem is how to ID if its v6.7 & v6.7.5.      The latest Naim .pdf has only one link to SiLabs & it installs whats on that link.  The link just shows as http://www.silabs.com/Support%...210x_VCP_Windows.zip & it downloads whatever tis on that link.   

The downloaded zip & then the installed driver has no such ID,  it shows as "CP210xVCPInstaller_x64"  & in properties there is no ref to anything like v6.7.

Go into the zip file and look for a file called "v6-7-5-driver-release-notes.txt".

The important line is:
MCUSW-110    | Windows 10 certified against RS2 (Creators Update).

Being an old computer pro, I usually work out what any driver is, and then go to the original source to find and get the most appropriate version for my hardware and OS.

I do realise that most people either won't be that fastidious, or maybe don't have the experience to do this quite so easily as can I.

SJBABBEY,

Much obliged you sharing that link for driver installation. I just couldn't get it to work otherwise 👍.

The change in sound hasn't quite got me dancing yet on the NDX. Seems to have increased the mid to high frequency for me.

I'll leave it for a few days then perhaps push the speakers back a bit and put the naca5 back on in place of TQ black ll.

Ray.

I have followed this and ready to update my UQ2, downloaded everything got cable ready etc, but reluctant to do so.

My Muso QB has been updating for 2 hours and progress has not moved. Naim app is asking not to turn off on my phone app and need to go out (i wish I'd used my tablet). If i go out my phone will not be on the same network, will it affect the update......help! 

Huge posted:
Mike-B posted:
Huge posted:

Go into the zip file and look for a file called "v6-7-5-driver-release-notes.txt".

The important line is:
MCUSW-110    | Windows 10 certified against RS2 (Creators Update).

Eat the dust & thanks for a tip but the same file, it does not work... this starts to be debugging with >10k streamer, well >25k with power supplies -> strange...

MCUSW-110    | Windows 10 certified against RS2 (Creators Update). 

Does my neighbour have an older laptop?

Harry posted:

First there was no COM port available.

So I went off looking for drivers.

Tried all sorts until I found some that would install.

Them I got COM4 but no hook up with the streamer.

Went off and searched for more drivers, cables, etc.....

I've been over this so many times that my credit controller wants to raise an invoice to send to Naim!

Meanwhile, back on my clunky old laptop, which was earmarked for recycling in the near future, the drivers work perfectly and the updates run without a hitch.  And no, I don't have the original driver installer on this machine. Bugger!

If my old laptop had failed or been passed on, my flash new one would be nothing more than a sophisticated paperweight for this task and I would have pulled all of my (remaining) hair out.

I'm not IT stupid.  And I can RTFM. This isn't right. I think the user base needs more support from Naim HQ.

Could be a sales loser.

Buy new ND555? Based on this I do not. HQ make simple things easy & please do something? 

Thanks for the feedback.

I restarted the update (which is always a risk) and all seems well. The app never even downloaded the update and therefore didn't start the cycle, which it seems to be doing now, with rotating volume segments and white network light and sound.

Phew, didn't fancy a £650 bricked paper weight.

I guess this is due the stability of the (android) app.

WBR

Guy

Gandalf_fi posted:

Eat the dust & thanks for a tip but the same file, it does not work... this starts to be debugging with >10k streamer, well >25k with power supplies -> strange...

May I see if I can help?

First, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
Have a look for "Windows Driver Package - Silicon Laboratories Inc. (silabser) Ports (9/27/2017 6.7.5.1893)
If you don't have that, the right driver isn't installed

Next connect a data cable to the NDS.

Then go to Device Manager and look for "Ports (COM & LPT)
Expand that and look for the "Silicon Labs..." entry (there should only be one)
Look at the properties
Is that COM4?
If not note what COM port it is on.
If there's more than one COM port shown, what are the others listed as?

GuyPerry posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

I restarted the update (which is always a risk) and all seems well. The app never even downloaded the update and therefore didn't start the cycle, which it seems to be doing now, with rotating volume segments and white network light and sound.

Phew, didn't fancy a £650 bricked paper weight.

I guess this is due the stability of the (android) app.

WBR

Guy

Very good. You should be ok now.

best

David

Finkfan posted:

Ok. Thanks Huge. I’ll try installing the Driver again

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
Have a look for "Windows Driver Package - Silicon Laboratories Inc. (silabser) Ports (9/27/2017 6.7.5.1893)

Jonn posted:

The so called upgrade has made my NDS sound worse. Yes a bit more detail but it also sounds brighter/harsher than before. The overall balance sound wrong too with bass emphasis and the sound stage is odd. The left/right speaker balance is too pronounced whereas before the speakers seem to disappear when listening.

I'll do a factory reset and give it another couple of days but at the moment I'm more inclined to sacrifice the extra detail and bass for the smoother and more balanced sound of the previous version. Is it possible to go back?

I’m with you on this Jonn. I’ve no idea what the issue is, but I’m sitting here watching cr*p TV and looking at the forum instead of listening to music because my system won’t play me any. It’s sounding Muddy, flat, airless, one note. I’m reserving judgement on 4.6 firmware being the cause as it sounds so bad that I suspect something else must have sprung a leak somewhere else in the system. This is not Preferring A over B, this is just not engaging music.

So, Fastest way to find out will be reinstall 4.4 tomorrow and see if the problem persists.

Huge posted:
Gandalf_fi posted:

May I see if I can help?

First, go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features

Next connect a data cable to the NDS.

Then go to Device Manager and look for "Ports (COM & LPT)
Expand that and look for the "Silicon Labs..." entry (there should only be one)
Look at the properties
Is that COM4?
If not note what COM port it is on.
If there's more than one COM port shown, what are the others listed as?

Thanks, nope, it is nothing with ports.... or com. "Silicon labs" just do not want get installed, not automatically or manually. Only one port is listed in all 3 computers, COM 3 (Intel...)

Huge posted:
Finkfan posted:

That is the issue, no way to get get it installed.

@@Kevin J Carden. Well I really don't think it can be the 4.6 firmware upgrade which is causing the problem. I have enjoyed everything I've played with it so far. I am wondering if it's a little more bloated in the bass (I'm not certain about this), but the overall experience I think is very musical. I have noticed that it makes listening to dense, busy music a bit easier - the music seems less congested somehow. 

ChrisSU posted:
glasnaim posted:
Olly posted:

Olly

Confirm in my case that it is with Unitiserve. 

Olly

I expect they will sort this fairly quickly Harry.  My problem is I'm not really sure whats going on here;    I believe(d)  I've had SiLabs v6.7 driver ever since I got started with updating beta f/w  & during most/all that time I've been on the same Win-10 laptop & have not had any problems.    So what gives with peeps struggling with v6.7  ??  best leave that one I guess.......

A side story:  since this uncertainty/confusion over the USB driver I went to SiLabs www & download a v6.7.5 & now have this loaded together with the old v6.7.   It all seems to work perfectly,  only problem is I don't know which driver is being used  ....  oh well maybe it ain't broke & fix'um not needed.

Some people are complaining about lost clock. I'm not sure if it's the same issue, but I notice that I have lost the track time in the display on my NDS. When I was using v4.4 I could press the 'disp' button on the remote and the display would show some artist and track name information (I think) together with the time in the track. It might also have shown the track number as a fraction of the total on the album, e.g. 3/10 4:15 meaning that there were 10 tracks on the album, track 3 was playing and that it was 4 minutes and 15 seconds through. This seems to have been lost.

Finkfan posted:

Yep! 

Im getting another USB cable to try in case mine is faulty. But I tried several times yesterday to no avail. Finally got the driver installed and the “port” is not showing up. Should it really be this difficult???? 

Finkfan, I have the same problem as you with the update. I have installed the SiLabs driver but when I go to the Updater, I get to the screen with the port drop down menu and new driver port does not appear, just the Bluetooth port.

I have reported my issue to Naim Support who have suggested a couple to potential fixes that have not worked and I wait further suggestions from them. I have tried 2 USB cables and have had the same issue with both so I am not convinced the cable is at fault. I have done a few F/W upgrades in my time so I think I know what I am doing but I am really stumped.

I should add I am using an iMac and trying to update my NDS.

Please report back if your new cable fixes things and I will then get myself a third cable and see if that works.

Frustrated , of Chesham.

NIGELB, FINKFAN,

I’m in the exact same situation as you are with my 272.  Have have swapped out cables, used two different Macs, and always get to the same place where you’re stuck: driver successfully installed and showing up in the OS, but the naim updater app doesn’t see it in the pull down menu; only Bluetooth is there.  Have also reached out to naim support.

Regards,

Frustrated, of Boston

(I highly doubt that it’s the usb cable, FINKFAN; I used the same one l’ve always reserved for [multiple successful] updates of my SuperUniti as well as another of known functionality just to be sure.  Got stuck at precisely the same place with both cables multiple times and on two different machines.)

I had this issue earlier on my 272. I uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled them a few times to no apparent avail. My laptop has been asking about an OSX update from Yosemite to High Sierra for some time, so I obliged and then reinstalled the USB drivers and hey presto the right serial port option appeared and the update was painless thereafter. 

Not sure if this helps anyone much, it took me a few hours to resolve it. All updated now. 

Thanks Monkey Jim but I am already on High Sierra so this is not the same issue for me. I too have installed and reinstalled the driver and have also checked there are no previous versions still installed.

It seems Naim Support are working on this so let's see what they come up with.

Jonn posted:

if it is as you said, i will perhaps wait a bit to make this upgrade. I have already, on some tracks, too much bass emphasis, i don’t want to go in that direction.

Huge posted:
Finkfan posted:

Thanks @Huge. I now have that driver installed and  I’ll try the updater again once the new USB cable arrives. 

Two points:
1. I want to inform some MacBook users regarding how I successfully updated my NDS:
I couldn't see the COM3 port in the combobox of naim's software via the OSX operating system, so I ran Parallels with Windows 10 and I finished the job in 10 minutes. You can also use VMware Workstation in order to set a windows virtual machine.
* Make sure you configure the VM to see all USB ports of your physical computer.

2.  After a few days my impressions are still good, BUT speakers re-positioning is a must.
I had to get my 707's out of the wall (was: 35cm, currently: 75cm), now I get a better 3D imaging and focus, very impressive, bass is not boomy at all.
The NDS still doesn't have the weight and punch of the CD Player, but it's getting close to it with 4.6

BP.

This morning I have updated my 272 to version 4.6, which went very smoothly.

I then unpacked my recently purchased ex-dem Core added an SSD and started ripping discs, which I'm pleased to say is also working smoothly.

Now listening to First Aid Kit - Ruins and to my cloth ears it's sounding great.

Unfortunately, I have no experience of Naim CD players so cannot comment on a comparison.

My UniQute is a 24/96 2B instead of 3D so no upgrade for me, wondering whether I’m experiencing discrimination or dodging a bullet reading this thread!

it is however good to see Naim upgrading non-current products but of course if it took 3 years maybe this isn’t as altruistic as it first seems. 

.sjb

WOW, I got it working finally, it was the USB driver installing issue like I said earlier. I tooked original laptop & tried to install without cable connected & somehow it went as it supposed to go. Notised also that when installing the USB drivers you need to do full extracting first, not just download & open the zip file & run exe.

As a self confessed luddite, this is a bit of a faff, rather than an OTA update, that said, it went smoother than the OTA for my QB, with the excellent advice given here.

UQ2Uwas done in 5mins this morning, before the kids got up and started to use band width, over my normally stable WiFi rather than wired network.

I used windows 10 and com4 with the driver from 4.4 update link. If this helps other members here.

WBR

Guy

Hmm... Has anyone else noticed the presentation of bass to be quite different under 4.6? I took my NDX to 4.6 but listening to A Tribe Called Quest "Steve Biko (Stir It Up)" and "Award Tour" the bass lines seemed rather oddly bloated and slow. Took it back down to 4.4 and actually I think I find this preferable. 

Gandalf_fi posted:

WOW, I got it working finally, it was the USB driver installing issue like I said earlier. I tooked original laptop & tried to install without cable connected & somehow it went as it supposed to go. Notised also that when installing the USB drivers you need to do full extracting first, not just download & open the zip file & run exe.

Yes that's normally required for installations.  The install instructions in the zip file say to extract form the zip and install the driver before connecting the cable to the device.

BUNNY COLVIN,

I think so too(also NDX). The lowest of tones isn't quite as it was and sounds a bit muddled and bloated at higher volumes. Just spent half hour pulling speakers forwards, backwards, slightly more together, further apart, angled, straight on etc.

Perhaps the change will grow on us or even change in time...who knows?

kevin J Carden posted:
Jonn posted:

I’m with you on this Jonn. I’ve no idea what the issue is, but I’m sitting here watching cr*p TV and looking at the forum instead of listening to music because my system won’t play me any. It’s sounding Muddy, flat, airless, one note. I’m reserving judgement on 4.6 firmware being the cause as it sounds so bad that I suspect something else must have sprung a leak somewhere else in the system. This is not Preferring A over B, this is just not engaging music.

So, Fastest way to find out will be reinstall 4.4 tomorrow and see if the problem persists.

Quick Update on my woes. First up, sorry to unnecessarily cast aspersions on 4.6 or to worry anyone thinking of updating their NDS. False alarm. As I suspected, it transpires that my system has indeed sprung a leak elsewhere. Or perhaps more pertinently, leaked a spring. My wonderful dealer this afternoon lent me his demo NDS which still has 4.4 fw installed so that I could relatively quickly A/B the 2 firmwares. That was my objective. First thing I noticed when swapping the head units was when lifting my head unit out of the rack that there was a horrible ‘thunk’ and rattle as I lifted it carefully off the shelf. I’m guessing that somehow the sprung board inside must have come off its mountings and I have absolutely no idea how that could have happened, but clearly, there’s the issue. Surgery needed 

Amazon basics mini USB cable arrived yesterday and I’ve just had time to get to the office to try it out. Plugged it in, ran the updater and.......

works perfectly!! 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. 

You do need to download and extract the driver to your computer. Check that you have version 9/27/2017 6.7.5.1893 installed. I restarted my laptop. Started the updater and then plug in the USB to my laptop. It then came up with the message that it was installing the driver. Once that had completed, back to the updater. COM4 was now available in the drop down menu. Click next and it’s away. 

272 is just restarting so I’m off to have a listen. 

Thanks again gents! 

I really like 4.6 SQ.

NDS + 2x555PS sounds even more analog than earlier. Almost like someone putted handbrake on a bit. Rythm is not slover but it feels like it. Some really excellent recordings with a bit bright sound are much more balanced now. There is more separation & dynamic, expecially vocals are sounding even more real. But then, when listening Fink live recording somehow the magic was lost, where is the attack of Instruments? Aha, need to put a bit more volume than usually and it started to be fine again. Still there is a difference, time will tell the truth.

All of this makes me seriously think do I really need ND555? NDS sounds so damn good now, many thanks Naim !

I’ve just been enjoying a few tracks whilst doing paperwork. The 272 sounds a little more relaxed too I feel. The highs sound a little smoother. Bass a little more refined and agile. Early days yet, but I’m really enjoying it. Thanks to Naim and the Beta team for all their hard work. 

Finkfan posted:

Amazon basics mini USB cable arrived yesterday and I’ve just had time to get to the office to try it out. Plugged it in, ran the updater and.......

works perfectly!! 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. 

You do need to download and extract the driver to your computer. Check that you have version 9/27/2017 6.7.5.1893 installed. I restarted my laptop. Started the updater and then plug in the USB to my laptop. It then came up with the message that it was installing the driver. Once that had completed, back to the updater. COM4 was now available in the drop down menu. Click next and it’s away. 

272 is just restarting so I’m off to have a listen. 

Thanks again gents! 

Excellent! I'm glad the cable suggestion worked out.

best

David

Likes (2)
KlydeMinh Nguyen