552/NDS first switch on ......

The big day came for me yesterday .... the mighty 272 has departed and after a couple of hours rebuilding and fighting with burndies .... my system awoke (only after allot of head scratching .... the NDS had been set to phono. .doh!). Well.... bit of shock .... (bare in mind the NDS and 552dr are pre owned) the sound from cold appears very detailed and clinical ...... voices sound really good and cymbals shimmer nicely ... some depth apparant. I have just let the system play away now on shuffle .... I will be giving it a really good listen tomorrow..... I assume it will take about a week for things to settle down...

Original Post

Enjoy your NDS/552DR, Richieroo.  Even though the 552DR might already have fully burned-in, it will take a few days to properly warn up and settle down.  When I tried a demo model at home my dealer advised me it would take 5 days and right on que the performance took a step up after 5 days.

Congrats!  Apologies for crashing the thread but I have just secured a used NDS via a trusted dealer and I cannot resist joining in . Should get in a couple of weeks

i only have a lowly 52 (well lowly compared to 552 anyway) but think it should be rather excellent. Have been aiming at getting NDS for about six years so far - have had nd5xs for three-four years which was a bit of a step down from cds2

Not sure it's possible to get more excited but do please let me know how the sound comes on for you 

Richieroo posted:

The big day came for me yesterday .... the mighty 272 has departed and after a couple of hours rebuilding and fighting with burndies .... my system awoke (only after allot of head scratching .... the NDS had been set to phono. .doh!). Well.... bit of shock .... (bare in mind the NDS and 552dr are pre owned) the sound from cold appears very detailed and clinical ...... voices sound really good and cymbals shimmer nicely ... some depth apparant. I have just let the system play away now on shuffle .... I will be giving it a really good listen tomorrow..... I assume it will take about a week for things to settle down...

I'll be interested to hear how it fares in relation to the 'humble' 272...

G

With my 1st brief listen .... it appears the NDS in combination has more detail .... as you would expect ... especially at mid to top. If things settle down as I hope ... the treble should sound amazing with a deep open husband.. ... time will tell. Will keep you posted.

Richieroo posted:

I hope so .... I am digging out my old linn sondek/ittok/OC7 looking forward to hearing my old vinyl again.....

You are in for a very nice surprise there is a synergy with Classic amps and analogue sources, I expect it will be a close call NDS/552  v  LP12/552 but what a beautiful time you will have comparing the 2!

Had first real listen .... system been on 1.5 days ... sound has opened out, brightness gone detail is impressive - sounds very musical with good rhythmic drive ....infact I meant to spend 30 mins to have a quick listen ....before work....an hour later I had to peel myself away.  Currently performance exceeds 272/555ps combo but i think there is even more to come ... in terms of value and performance though the 272 is fantastic...

Richieroo posted:

Had first real listen .... system been on 1.5 days ... sound has opened out, brightness gone detail is impressive - sounds very musical with good rhythmic drive ....infact I meant to spend 30 mins to have a quick listen ....before work....an hour later I had to peel myself away.  Currently performance exceeds 272/555ps combo but i think there is even more to come ... in terms of value and performance though the 272 is fantastic...

just curious how much it exceeds a N272/555DR/300DR/SL full loom

All I can tell you is my setup was 272/555ps (non dr)  - this performed very well ..... changing to the NDS/552 has made a significant difference. However, in context bang for buck the 272 is staggeringly good ... I would imagine the 555dr would improve it again. My system now seems to have a fair bit more inner detail -- soundstage is wider and deeper, high frequencies are more delicate, the ability to maintain rhythmic pace is superior in complex music - base appears to have more punch and mid range has a lovely completeness. Now..... this sounds from my description that the 272 is really lacking - it is not - what the 272 does is covers its tracks very well - it is coherent, punchy with good detail retrieval. I found the 272 really benefited from a good support. It is early days yet - I suspect the NDS/552 has allot more to give in the days to come.....I will update you all.

Richieroo posted:

.... I found the 272 really benefited from a good support. It is early days yet - I suspect the NDS/552 has allot more to give in the days to come.....I will update you all.

I have my 272 on an Atacama plinth with four compliant sorbothane feet. I have had it for years and tried it under various components; CDS3, HDX, NDX, to no great effect. In fact it was mostly detremental...however, under the 272 it really works well. Performance is lovely and fluid, moreso than without.

G

Five days to a week sounds about right. Congratulations and best wishes with it. Before too long you will have forgotten about the HiFi and just be listening to the music. Your new music collection awaits you. It's better than you could have imagined.

I listened to an old favorite last night natural mystic Bob Marley .. I was astounded at the beep base guitar notes and chords were so clear.... there is allot of detail in that base line I have never heard the track like this...it really brought the track alive..... delighted...

Well things have improved more .... but here is the strangest thing in the middle of the week it got on the face of it brighter.... however, with a further careful listen what seems to be happening is there is just allot more information coming through ... there are now rhythmic cymbal elements shining through which were never present on the 272 .... will keep you posted.. .

Still improving .... great detail and rhythmic drive .... these little pmc's (21's!) really rock .... the tuneful base is amazing .... the atmosphere they generate is quite visceral.... in my small room the effect is like listening to speakers 5x the size.... I have not felt the need to connect my sub yet ..... It is staggering ..... and i am not easily impressed.

Richieroo posted:

Well things have improved more .... but here is the strangest thing in the middle of the week it got on the face of it brighter.... however, with a further careful listen what seems to be happening is there is just allot more information coming through ... there are now rhythmic cymbal elements shining through which were never present on the 272 .... will keep you posted.. .

You know when you have a good system as you start to listen and enjoy the music/audio from it rather than listening to the system or system artefacts like 'brighter', smoother, stronger/lesser bass, dynamics etc.... the effect I use to describe it is the Mandelbrot effect.. you can listen into the recording (subject to recording) to ever finer detail picking out nuance, technique, quality/type of instrument, phrasing and emphasis  (as well as technical matters like cathedral/building reverb, conversations snippets in audience, mic placement, mixing / compression techniques, eq and mastering)... just like you do at concerts, real life  etc... lesser systems you tend to be presented with a musical wall of sound as a whole, take it or leave it... you can't delve too much into it.

Enjoy.... BTW when I briefly moved from a NDAC to NDS I found it greatly enhanced the ability to resolve live recording natural reverb... listen to a choir in a cathedral and then listen to a similar recording, you will find the NDS starts to dig into this and portray some of what is there, especially if recorded by a competent engineer... being an ex chorister I guess I am tuned to this, but it was impressive.

What amazes me is just how much information is on the Red book CD standard (44.1khz ) ..... allot of my CD's have been ripped to flac lossless .... the NDS/552 combination digs out so much more .... I would not have believed it ...... until experiencing it .... going through my library now is like visiting a whole new sonic world.......

It is amazing how much more information appears when you widen the bandwidth. I don't think it's necessarily a law of diminishing returns because the quality of the information improves so much.

I once had a pair of Spendor S5e on the end of myNDS/ 552/300 and they never sounded better. Bandwidth again, plus control. I had no idea they could sound so transparent, hit so hard and go so high and loud without distorting. The effect of adding the grip and control of a 500 would have been fascinating. But they left home before my 500 arrived.

In upgrade cycles over the years the speakers have always been last (and sometimes not upgraded at all) because they tend to improve when downstream improvements happen.

Richieroo,

I'm in a similar place to you at the moment. Just got my recently purchased (second hand) 552 back from Naim and I'm about a week into burn in as they decided to service the PS.

I just can't believe the levels of detail coming through. As Simon says you can hear in to the recording almost like a time travelling experience back to the venue. I had this happen from time to time with my 52 but the 552 seems to do this consistently on every track. Also, high frequency information is rendered so naturally that I often don't know if it's real or coming from the speakers. Several times I've gone to answer what I thought was someone at the front door only to find that it was something in the mix. I fact it's started frightening the wife as the dynamics are now so good it often makes you jump when least expected.

A fascinating aural experience...and if this is at it's worst burn in period I can't wait to see what it's like in a month!

Likes (0)