552/NDS first switch on ......

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
Richieroo posted:

Well things have improved more .... but here is the strangest thing in the middle of the week it got on the face of it brighter.... however, with a further careful listen what seems to be happening is there is just allot more information coming through ... there are now rhythmic cymbal elements shining through which were never present on the 272 .... will keep you posted.. .

You know when you have a good system as you start to listen and enjoy the music/audio from it rather than listening to the system or system artefacts like 'brighter', smoother, stronger/lesser bass, dynamics etc.... the effect I use to describe it is the Mandelbrot effect.. you can listen into the recording (subject to recording) to ever finer detail picking out nuance, technique, quality/type of instrument, phrasing and emphasis  (as well as technical matters like cathedral/building reverb, conversations snippets in audience, mic placement, mixing / compression techniques, eq and mastering)... just like you do at concerts, real life  etc... lesser systems you tend to be presented with a musical wall of sound as a whole, take it or leave it... you can't delve too much into it.

Enjoy.... BTW when I briefly moved from a NDAC to NDS I found it greatly enhanced the ability to resolve live recording natural reverb... listen to a choir in a cathedral and then listen to a similar recording, you will find the NDS starts to dig into this and portray some of what is there, especially if recorded by a competent engineer... being an ex chorister I guess I am tuned to this, but it was impressive.

Since adding SL speaker cable (5m), my CDX2 -> NDAC + XPS DR -> SL IC -> 282 + SC DR -> Witch Hat Din / XLR > 300 DR -> SL -> Focal Sopra N2 is digging out more detail which includes building acoustics. Soundstage has opened up more and orchestral instruments standing out from the strings. The vinyl is the same. 

I'm sure the 552 would up things as well, but I'm quite content. 

Phil

Richieroo posted:

Filipe ... I bet those Focals sound great wish I had the space!!!!

They don't really take up any more space - mostly they are a bit taller. They look really good. Audio T Brighton have an orange pair at £7,500. Not the most popular colour! The price of a new 300DR.

They do sound good, but the power cords and SL IC and speaker cable bring out the sound as well.

Phil

Indeed. Hard is how a 552 doesn't sound but it can pound your ears a bit as it gets to its cruising altitude.

Mine is sounding wonderful, magical. I mention this because storms are forecast here and I'm going to have to pull the plug tonight. Such a shame. But it will be singing again in a few days.

Mine is gradually getting better .... on certain recordings it's stunning .....  with the NDS / highline it is very explicit with great depth, width and musicality...and punch. I am hearing things that were never present on the 272. On some tracks ... the explicit nature  is a bit much.... I am hoping it will gain a little more warmth and calm down just a touch....it has now been on just over 2 weeks.

Likes (0)