Active 606/707?

So,  if you couple the announcement in the stickies about Audiobarn on 14th October with the Audiobarn website announcing a Kudos Titan session on the same date, then the dots join up as a SNAXO active 606 and/or 707 demo.

If that's a correct joining of dots, its an exciting development. I look forward to reading some reviews

black boxes into black boxes into some black speakers

Original Post
sunbeamgls posted:

So,  if you couple the announcement in the stickies about Audiobarn on 14th October with the Audiobarn website announcing a Kudos Titan session on the same date, then the dots join up as a SNAXO active 606 and/or 707 demo.

If that's a correct joining of dots, its an exciting development. I look forward to reading some reviews

I hope the dots are connecting!

After all, its about time:

Chesterfield, March, 2017:

""Today the system was Melco, NDS / 555, 252 / Supercap,

{SNAXO active crossover with Hi-Cap PS}

and 2x 250DcR power amps.  Cables were, in the main, standard Naim fare {not hi-line} with the exception of the streamer to pre connection which was courtesy of

{Chord Sarum-T}.

{Sarum-T also provided connection between power amps and speakers}

, with the length of cables in use today just exceeding the price of the speakers themselves - at around the £13.5k mark.  Gulp.""

""Join us on Saturday 14th October at The AudioBarn to experience the legendary Naim Sound.

We will be demonstrating our ever popular {NAC N-272 paired with the 555PS}, 

{Supercap DR, Snaxo 242 and NAP 250 DR.}

There will also be a Naim expert on hand to answer any questions you may have.""

Sounds promising!

I like this set-up, with SCDR/ Snaxo, as opposed to the Chesterfield setup!

Allante93!

PS. "A bit of background - Kudos are big fans of making their speakers capable of working with active options from manufacturers such as Linn and Devialet.  Their current range leading T-808 has been played with passive electronics from Naim, Exakt active from Linn and active with Devialet at shows I've been to, in addition to active with Naim electronics being fed by an active {Behringer crossover} (which was good but not in the same league as Linn and Devialet).  The best of these was Devialet at Indulgence, although I understand the Exakt crossovers have been heavily modified since I heard them at the National Audio Show back in 2015."

Allante93 posted:
sunbeamgls posted:

Chesterfield, March, 2017:

and 2x 250DcR power amps.  Cables were, in the main, standard Naim fare {not hi-line} with the exception of the streamer to pre connection which was courtesy of

{Chord Sarum-T}.

, with the length of cables in use today just exceeding the price of the speakers themselves - at around the £13.5k mark.  Gulp.""

""Join us on Saturday 14th October at The AudioBarn to experience the legendary Naim Sound.

{Supercap DR, Snaxo 242 and NAP 250 DR.}

There will also be a Naim expert on hand to answer any questions you may have.""

Sounds promising!

I like this set-up, with SCDR/ Snaxo, as opposed to the Chesterfield setup!

Allante93!

PS. "A bit of background - Kudos are big fans of making their speakers capable of working with active options from manufacturers such as Linn and Devialet.  Their current range leading T-808 has been played with passive electronics from Naim, Exakt active from Linn and active with Devialet at shows I've been to, in addition to active with Naim electronics being fed by an active {Behringer crossover} (which was good but not in the same league as Linn and Devialet).  The best of these was Devialet at Indulgence, although I understand the Exakt crossovers have been heavily modified since I heard them at the National Audio Show back in 2015."

There are a few quotes in there (Chester, not Chesterfield) that should only be used with the source acknowledged

james n posted:

I hadn't realised that even the baby S10 is now easily configurable for active operation. Interesting 

It happened at the same time as the S20 which must be a couple of years ago. The 'a' suffix in the model name identifies the change to the terminal panel.

The S20 responds extremely well to Exakt, I would assume S10 does too. My understanding is that all the Kudos products will eventually support active use.  Lets hope there's a SNAXO to match each one.

sunbeamgls posted:
Allante93 posted:
sunbeamgls posted:

Chester, March, 2017:

{Chord Sarum-T}.

============%==========

{Supercap DR, Snaxo 242 and NAP 250 DR.}...."

There are a few quotes in there (Chester, not Chesterfield) that should only be used with the source acknowledged

Well, the AudioBarn, is Naim's feature topic.

But perhaps, they seek to improve on Chester's set-up, where the Snaxo was powered by the Hi-Cap, as opposed to the SCDR.

Allante93!

PS. The Burndy from the SCDR, might make a difference.

I don't know, not Active with Naim, yet!

Allante93 posted:

Well, the AudioBarn, is Naim's feature topic.

But perhaps, they seek to improve on Chester's set-up, where the Snaxo was powered by the Hi-Cap, as opposed to SC-DR

Not that quote, the rest of it.

I suspect that the SNAXO power supply is not going to make up for the source (if the N272 is considered to be a lesser souce than an NDS of course).

Just had a look at the Audiobarn event on their website and 272, 250DR, 300DR and arrival of 606s (also acknowledging the 707s are already on site) are mentioned but there is no mention of SNAXO nor active demo, unless the SNAXO Is still under wraps as it were or unless SUNBEAMGLS knows something.

It would be good to know if this is an active demo but I guess if it is, they can't pre announce it for some reason.

nigelb posted:

Just had a look at the Audiobarn event on their website and 272, 250DR, 300DR and arrival of 606s (also acknowledging the 707s are already on site) are mentioned but there is no mention of SNAXO nor active demo, unless the SNAXO Is still under wraps as it were or unless SUNBEAMGLS knows something.

It would be good to know if this is an active demo but I guess if it is, they can't pre announce it for some reason.

Read both the links in the OP Nigelb, you'll find the SNAXO.  Its been used with 707s in the past at the Chester show.

Durr…silly me.

Strange that Naim mention the SNAXO as part of the demo in their sticky on here but no mention of it on the Audiobarn website. Maybe they are not quite ready for us to join the dots quite yet. Possibly still talks with Focal going on. Who knows.

Anyway, should be very interesting. Must see if I can get a pass-out for that one.

nigelb posted:

Durr…silly me.

Strange that Naim mention the SNAXO as part of the demo in their sticky on here but no mention of it on the Audiobarn website. Maybe they are not quite ready for us to join the dots quite yet. Possibly still talks with Focal going on. Who knows.

Anyway, should be very interesting. Must see if I can get a pass-out for that one.

Looking forward to your report  

elkman70 posted:

Was passive better. Please say yes.

Well elkman70, all I have to say:

"Your money may be long, but life is short!"

By Allante93!

Enjoy Your Music, The Why!

Naim Audio, FAQ:

What Is An Active System?

"This is, of course, more expensive than any passive system arrangement but we are convinced - as are many satisfied customers - that the results justify the additional expenditure. Active systems {typically} sound more precise, clear and controlled than passive systems. The result is music that sounds more like music and less like a hi-fi system. In part this is because active systems inherently produce less distortion than passive systems. [Sorry, for being technical but it's a fact!] "

Allante93!

PS. I have never heard Active Naim, but well Acquainted with:

LP 12/ Ghenki >Aktiv Bingo Card>LK 280>Briks

Just Saying, Smiley Face! 

You can read the full report elsewhere, but here's the important bit about activating T-707s (from a less than ideal listening session with 2 speakers either side of the 707s, but that was consistent between passive and active so consistent in the comparison):

In passive form, the Janis Ian track was a pleasure to listen to.  The room was joining in to an extent but it was easy to hear that and ignore it to get to what was going on directly from the speakers.  The track is fairly funky by JI standards, which is to say its a not very funky track by funky standards, but there's some decent electric bass lines along the way.  The track starts quietly then adds extra instruments and complexity along the way.  The music was joined up and enjoyable in passive form, bass tuneful, imaging is good but not exceptional (but hey, look at the way they were set up on this occasion, that's no surprise), vocals nicely rendered - this is a very good pair of speakers in action.  We listen to the whole track, then go back and listen to the first 90 seconds or so to try and get the beginning of the track stuck in the memory.

Conversion to active takes a couple of minutes.  Understanding the magnitude of the difference it brings is a matter of seconds, then, as the track plays that understanding develops and deepens.  The active conversion brings much of what I'm used to hearing in equivalent changes in Linn active systems.  Its that clarity thing, the edges of notes are better defined, instruments start and stop with more conviction, the bass lines are crisper, tunes are easier to follow, the reverb on a guitar goes on that much longer but doesn't crash into the other instruments, there's a space between and around each instrument that wasn't there before.  Ian's vocals are better rendered, they've taken a step forward from the mix - there's subtelty in there that wasn't there before.  But all this is still joined up as a single musical message.  Back to that first few seconds of going active, and the thing that I really wasn't expecting but was quite a stunning change - the Ian track has a number of quiet elements right at the beginning of the track and that quietness was soooo much quieter than before.  With passive, I wasn't really concious of any background noise and hash in those quiet elements, but with active, the lack of that noise is very apparent (I'm sure there's still some there, but its notably less obvious).

I wish I'd made a note of this track - I've been trawling through the Janis Ian tracks on Tidal, but its a long list and I haven't found it yet!

We then listened to the Georgio track and the way these active 707s can power through this piece of Daft Punk inventiveness is very impressive.  The intro clearly reveals the sounds of the 3 different mics used to record it, and the chatter in the background is easy to follow.  But the real test of this track is about 3/4 of the way through when the very complex bass lines play at tremendous speed and the majority of systems just can't do this bit very well - they end up playing monotone thumps rather than several complex and tuneful notes.  The active 707s do a great job on this not only maintaining the tune but revealling a really growly edge to the guitar, far better than some more expensive systems.  And playing loud doesn't phase them at all.

So, for me, an easy conclusion to reach.  But here's the sting in the tail, that will be of interest particularly to Naim system owners.  The passive system was using a single NAP 300DR with Naim's expensive SuperLumina speaker cables.  The active system used 2 of the "lesser" NAP 250DR power amps and the far more reasonably priced AudioQuest Rocket speaker cables.  Game set and match to active!  Get that SNAXO on the production line Naim!

Thanks for the write up, very informative.

I am going to try and get along to the Audiobarn bash because I particularly want the hear the 606s and of course want to hear Naim active Kudos. I also hope they do the 300DR passive vs the 250DR active trick.

Do you know if the 606s are in final production form yet or are they still pre-production?

nigelb posted:

I am going to try and get along to the Audiobarn bash because I particularly want the hear the 606s and of course want to hear Naim active Kudos. I also hope they do the 300DR passive vs the 250DR active trick.

Do you know if the 606s are in final production form yet or are they still pre-production?

Sorry, I forgot to ask if they had the final production drivers or not.   Its been a long week and it didn't pop into my head to get the update. I do know they're still the only ones in existence though.

sunbeamgls posted:
nigelb posted:

Sorry, I forgot to ask if they had the final production drivers or not.   Its been a long week and it didn't pop into my head to get the update. I do know they're still the only ones in existence though.

OK, thanks. I will enquire if I go to the Audiobarn thing and update the forum.

One last question, did they have 606s at your demo and if so did you hear them?

Please enlighten me! What do I need to run the 707 in active mode?

Do I need a another NAP300 (and PS) and a Snaxo? (That makes three!!).

Mine 707 have played for 60 hours now and they are excellent, the best I have heard!

A friend of mine came over yesterday. He owns Wilson Sasha and electonics from ASR and he thought my system sounds better than his..

oldneil posted:

Please enlighten me! What do I need to run the 707 in active mode?

Do I need a another NAP300 (and PS) and a Snaxo? (That makes three!!).

Mine 707 have played for 60 hours now and they are excellent, the best I have heard!

A friend of mine came over yesterday. He owns Wilson Sasha and electonics from ASR and he thought my system sounds better than his..

'Need' isn't really the word!

You could add another 300DR, a SNAXO and PS.  Or you could trade in the 300 and use a couple of 250DRs, plus SNAXO and PS.

Then add a pair of interconnects and a pair of speaker cables to match your existing ones.

Likes (2)
Former MemberSteve Crouch