Advice on 282/200 or 202/200

Hi all,

I got a chance to purchase a 2nd hand 282/200/HiCap in a price around a new 282 only.  Or should I stay on a new 202/200?  What make me doubt is my dealer told me sound of 282 is different than 202.  282 is more punch, faster but 202 is more musical.  I read many post that 282 is much better than 202, however I can't find post about the sound characteristic of 282 and 202.  As I can't make a A/B comparison about 282/200 and 202/200.  I worry about the system balance and sound chararteristic will make me regret on 282/200.  From my dealer, I love the 202/200 only with HiCap added.  But I can't afford them in once go.

Thanks in advance

Original Post

First of all, what is the rest of your system? Having a good source is important and a 200 will drive many speakers, but not all.

The 282 does everything better than the 202 since it allows much more music and detail from your source into the amp. The preamp is a vital piece of the puzzle so always aim high. If you consider it a source, then you can understand why buying the better pre is usually the way to go. But remember the 282 can be revealing. 

I'm not sure I agree with your dealer that the 202 is more musical - in fact, I think it's the opposite. The 202/200 combo has been called a lean combo by many. Compared to the 252, the 282 can sound more forward and faster/punchier, but the 282 really gets the detail out of your sources compared to the 202. The proverbial veil is lifted! 

Try listening if you can but I have a feeling you'll be very happy with a 282. There are a few people who stop upgrading after the 282...unless finances change or a great deal arises on a 552.

Arun

Hi,
As stover said the 282 is a step up from the 202 so should be your best option.
Is the hicap you have or getting a dr version or not.i upgraded my hicap to the dr version and the 202 improved quite a lot.its all about balancing your system and getting the sound you prefer.
I am very happy with my 202/200 and have no plans to change in the future.
You should really have a home dem if you can.

Scott

I just moved from hicapped Supernait to 282/200 Supercap DR. A really big step and I think the 282 is very important. My dealer told me that the pre is more important than the end. I never heard a 202 but I think the 282 is far ahead. A worthwile upgrade.

I had both Nacs : 202 for  one year,  282 during 7 years and there is a considerable difference in presentation. I loved the 282 more until changing to a Nac552 recently.I continue to use the Nap200 but as a pair active with SL2s. As said by others  the 282-200 is a wonderful combo and a good place to be with Naim. 

Regards,

Fabian

Another vote for secondhand 282 over new 202. 

Entrust your dealer to find you a nice example, or maybe he'd sell you his at an attractive price?!  Just gives you a little peace of mind that it's sound and doesn't have the contents of a cheap transistor radio instead of what should be inside!

Originally Posted by Christopher_M:
Originally Posted by DinosaurAT:

I worry about the system balance and sound chararteristic will make me regret on 282/200.  

How about a used 202/ 200 and XPS?

Chris

Or stick with whatever amp you have at the moment and find an nDac for your NDX and an XPS for the dac. Blisteringly good.

C.

yep but the best of all time is the olive or chrome B stuff IMO, get a 52/psu/135 or 250 will wipe above like a cocked hat, my opinion only mind you

A 5i amp is fine while waiting to afford or source down

100% second hand nac282/nap200/hicap instead of new nac202/nap200 (if second hand is in good condition). Second hand can be sold again with only a small loss and that is something to consider if you are new to Naim because many makes changes to their system until they have found the sound and quality they are looking for.

Thanks a lot.  I finally get the 2nd hand 282/200/HiCap combo.  During the first start, the 282 already gave me the details and base control over my existing Goldmund Int Amp.  A major step forward.

Due to more boxes now, I run into another problem (or happy problem) that I don't have enough power cords.  Per my understanding, NAPSC is just used for digital part in 282 and not related to audio part.  Is that mean, a normal power cord is ok?

Originally Posted by DinosaurAT:

Thanks a lot.  I finally get the 2nd hand 282/200/HiCap combo.  During the first start, the 282 already gave me the details and base control over my existing Goldmund Int Amp.  A major step forward.

Due to more boxes now, I run into another problem (or happy problem) that I don't have enough power cords.  Per my understanding, NAPSC is just used for digital part in 282 and not related to audio part.  Is that mean, a normal power cord is ok?

Not if you want to get the best out of the 282.  See my earlier post:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...-be-hearing-this-but

Likes (0)