AirPlay 2 ?

I see that AirPlay 2 is now available on Sonos speakers and wondered when it might be available on the new Uniti range etc?

• naim Uniti Star (2.6.1.9794)
  • iPad Air v1/ iPhone 7+ (iOS 12.0 Db3)
  • Mac Mini (MacOS 10.14 Mojave Db3)
  • naim iOS app (5.10)
Original Post
GregWPGibbs posted:

I see that AirPlay 2 is now available on Sonos speakers and wondered when it might be available on the new Uniti range etc?

Unless I'm wrong, I've always been disappointed that Airplay 2 is about muti-room and convenience rather than supporting higher def audio playback - a real missed opportunity from Apple which also makes it less likely that they'll offer anything better than lossy AAC in their store or Apple Music, but you never know.....

I agree with ALLEY CAT, a high res sound option within Airplay 2 would be nice. Does anyone here know if the Airplay 2 protocol would theoretically have enough bandwidth for this? And how about a future possibility for Surround Sound for Home Cinema usage?

One bonus with the Airplay 2 update on my AppleTV is that latency seems to have improved significantly - previously watching a movie on the TV and sending sound to my Nova (all on ethernet) gave significant lip sync delays - last night watched Moulin Rouge and no noticeable  lip sync problem at all which is a real bonus.

The annoying think with AppleTV is the lack of granularity with the volume which jumps in steps of 8 on the Nova - must have really annoyed the neighbours turning up every so often in large steps - must remember to enable the admittedly sound deteriorating option to reduce dynamic range. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)