Am I Mad

boom posted:

Might be a bit small for my room, 10 x 6.5 meters.

Boom,

I see your room is similar in dimension to my own, also with S-400 but with an Nait XS driving them.  Do you have a primary listening position this room, how are the speakers oriented?  

As background I tend to treat my hi-fi as a glorified radio in that I don't get a lot of time to still to sit in particular place and just listen to music.  I'm always moving around/through this room and in this context the S-400 are exemplary as the music sounds good wherever you are.  That's important to me, as I consider myself as someone who is more interested in music than hi-fi.  However there is still an area where the music is appreciably more focused.  In my room I have the speakers 3 metres apart firing down the length of it and the sweet spot extends from 5 metres out and continues to increase in focus as you get closer to the 2 metre mark where the focus becomes clearest and dare I say it punchier.  Though I am often tempted to upgrade the amp, I suspect I'd be betting a much bigger upgrade by giving up work and turning my much smaller study into a listening room and spending more on source.

good luck with your choices.

LarsDK posted:

Boom - that is a large room! Some years ago I moved into a larger place and my great kudos s20 could simply not move the room, thus went for a larger speaker 3-way w 8’ bass. Size is not everything, it also sounds great, but am wondering if that is part of your problem also. At least now - also with an upgrade from 250 to 300 - i enjoy good drumkicks etc. Dont know the sopras, but at least consider home demo of a larger speaker to see what it does (maybe s600 even...) br Lars

Great point, thanks Lars

yeti42 posted:
mcjt posted:

Focal has announced a new Diablo Utopia. You might be able to find 2008-2018 version for a modest sum. 

It would definitely show off all that your electronics can do! 

Note the optimal listening position.

Haha must be rear ported 

Simon_H posted:
boom posted:

Might be a bit small for my room, 10 x 6.5 meters.

Boom,

I see your room is similar in dimension to my own, also with S-400 but with an Nait XS driving them.  Do you have a primary listening position this room, how are the speakers oriented?  

As background I tend to treat my hi-fi as a glorified radio in that I don't get a lot of time to still to sit in particular place and just listen to music.  I'm always moving around/through this room and in this context the S-400 are exemplary as the music sounds good wherever you are.  That's important to me, as I consider myself as someone who is more interested in music than hi-fi.  However there is still an area where the music is appreciably more focused.  In my room I have the speakers 3 metres apart firing down the length of it and the sweet spot extends from 5 metres out and continues to increase in focus as you get closer to the 2 metre mark where the focus becomes clearest and dare I say it punchier.  Though I am often tempted to upgrade the amp, I suspect I'd be betting a much bigger upgrade by giving up work and turning my much smaller study into a listening room and spending more on source.

good luck with your choices.

I read this and it could have been me writing it, I’m exactly the same with my listening. Unfortunately for me the sweet spot is not great as I have a L couch sideways in that area, I do tend to spend a lot of time sitting at the opposite end on the room at the dining room table listing or working from the kitchen island, which is off to the side, At the opposite end also. All open plan.

for me living with the music is so important, a dedicated listening room wouldn’t work. Unless it was an extension to my existing 10 x 6.5m room - with sliding doors to open up for every day listening.......mmm now that’s a thought!

great chatting Simon

Likes (1)
Suzy Wong