Amps that are better than Nait XS 2

Huge posted:
Christopher_M posted:

I have just found the following in the XS2 owner's manual:

"The link plug should be removed only in the following circumstances:
• A power supply upgrade is to be used.
• An alternative preamplifier is to be used with the Nait XS 2 power amplifier.
• An alternative power amplifier is to be used with the Nait XS 2 preamplifier.
Note: When an external preamplifier is connected to the Nait XS 2 power-amp in socket, a fault will initially be indicated by the Nait XS 2 mute button flashing. To clear the fault, press and hold the flashing mute button. This will un-mute the amplifier and turn off the display and volume indicator."

Iconoclast, you will also need a SNAIC4 if you are interested in using your XS2 as a halfway house, on the way to, say, a 202/ 200.

Have you tried it?

As I've already written, I've done it with my NAIT XS and a different Naim pre, and have no reason to doubt Naim's words on the XS2.

But I have just seen Iconoclast's response to Seakayaker, so there doesn't seem much point saying more. I mean, how many times can one say the same thing?. Oh wait a minute, this is the Naim forum :-)

leni v posted:

A good amp should expose poor recorded music.

Interesting logic in my mind, and it does promulgate the notion some hold on this forum that poorly recorded music should be more and more exposed by higher level gear. I don't see the reason. In my mind a good amp, or any other component in the system, ought to increase engagement rather than detract. If the music is good with a groove, I want to enjoy it and not be focused on the recording quality. My TV + $200 soundbar gets my toe tapping if the music's got chops.

Christopher_M posted:
Huge posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Note: When an external preamplifier is connected to the Nait XS 2 power-amp in socket, a fault will initially be indicated by the Nait XS 2 mute button flashing. To clear the fault, press and hold the flashing mute button. This will un-mute the amplifier and turn off the display and volume indicator."

Iconoclast, you will also need a SNAIC4 if you are interested in using your XS2 as a halfway house, on the way to, say, a 202/ 200.

Have you tried it?

As I've already written, I've done it with my NAIT XS and a different Naim pre, and have no reason to doubt Naim's words on the XS2.

But I have just seen Iconoclast's response to Seakayaker, so there doesn't seem much point saying more. I mean, how many times can one say the same thing?. Oh wait a minute, this is the Naim forum :-)

I haven't spotted any used 202s locally which is why I've ruled out that option for the time being.

What's better than an XS2?  An XS3 of course!  And yes, there will be one eventually.  Being in a similar predicament ( upgrading from a 122/150 ) I chose the Supernait.  And I am very very pleased with it.  Is it better than the xs2?  I don't have any direct experience but I expect it is.  2nd hand prices are very close to the XS2 trade in so this is likely your cheapest option. A used 202/200 is a significant step up in price from the XS2 and you "need" the NAPSC.  And more shelves and more plugs and more to recap after all is said and done (I've soured on the multibox experience - can you tell?)  A used Supernait 2 is slightly more expensive than the 202/200/Napsc in my neck of the woods.         

I have used flatcaps and I recognize what they bring to the table, but if you can get into Supernait or 202/200 territory with just a little more invested then that's a better choice in my experience.

Christopher_M posted:
Huge posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Have you tried it?

I have tried it - it didn't work using the standard connection scheme.

Likes (0)