Arm the teachers!

Eloise posted:
Paper Plane posted:

No other country is as paranoid about being governed, and feels it needs to arm its citizens. So what's the US's problem?

Perhaps selective quoting / misrepresenting but...

“[Xi Jinping’s] now president for life. President for life. And he’s great.  And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll give that a shot some day,”

I have no problem with someone being president for life, provided that they're still not allowed to serve more than 10 years in office!

Paper Plane posted:

No other country is as paranoid about being governed, and feels it needs to arm its citizens. So what's the US's problem?

Reading this thread... those almost exact same words popped into my head as well. Why do seemingly many have so mistrust of their authorities do they feel the need to possibly bear arms against them...

Over hear in Blighty (excluding NI which has its own considerations) we tend to have a healthy scepticism of authority... and a head of state outside of the political system... and yes we have marches, the occasional riot every few years, civil disobedience etc , but these are all I suggest part the democratic and society regulation processes... perhaps as a nation of ‘tribes’ we are ultimately more generally integrated and at ease with our selves rather than being possibly a nation of individuals.. and therefore the need to possibly bear arms against our state and neighbours  (for most) just doesn’t factor in.

I was musing about guns & gun related deaths & does gun ownership have an affect on gun related death. Using www info I looked at two countries I know a fair bit about & that have a reputation for problems with guns; plus I've incl UK as a benchmark:

USA (the country at the base of this thread). I worked for a US/International company for many years & have travelled to USA at least 4 times a year during that period including some long term stays. Buying & owning a gun in USA is as we have all seen on the news is quite easy.

South Africa, I travelled there for work very frequently, more so than to USA. I've also spent a lot - & I mean a lot - of time on private business & leisure. Ownership of a firearm is conditional on numbers of factors, purpose of need, background checking, premises where kept & licensing of the weapon itself. That said the bad guys all seem to have them & they are invariably outside the law & licensing.

United States has 10.5 firearm-related deaths per 100,000 population per year & has 101.05 guns per 100 population (yes that is 101.05 guns per 100 people)        South Africa is 8.3 deaths per 100,000 ppa & 12.7 guns per 100 population.      UK has 0.23 deaths per 100,000 ppa & 2.8 guns per 100 (I can only imagine the majority of these are shotguns (sport))

So it seems USA's 101 guns per 100 population each cause 0.104 firearm related deaths per 100,000 population & that this is a lot less than the 12.7 guns per 100 in South Africa that account for 0.653 deaths.    UK as a bench mark & that measure is 0.082 deaths.

So does gun ownership have an affect on gun related deaths. Based on these numbers NO.  Does regulation/legislation have an effect: In SA the answer is no, whereas in UK yes. What's my point, nothing other than you might be interested, its just another imponderable in the what to do puzzle. But I see one of the main problems in USA is an obsession with school shootings, virtually unknown elsewhere & that has to be psychopathic & not solely criminal.

Likes (1)
Innocent Bystander