Atom - DELAYED AGAIN?!?!

Eoink posted:
Trevor Wilson posted:

Hi all

for the purpose of clarity, the announcement from Apple yesterday has had no impact or correlation to the New Uniti range development timing and delivery. Airplay 2 is a separate feature for update at a later point in line with Apple release.

Trevor

Lord Hillier, Trevor Wilson responded on the Airplay 2 question yesterday, it's very clear, and it doesn't get more official than that.

To be fair I don't think it's clear, the official timeframe is release next week. Trevor's answer is vague enough to not be beholden to that time frame, ie no date referenced, I hope I'm wrong.

Lord_HIllier posted:
Tastiehastie77 posted:
Lord_HIllier posted:

Richard (Dane), can you give us some clarity please around the Atom. Is there an update please? The dealers that I have spoken to (3 in the Midlands), are suggesting end of July to Mid August now, is there any substance in that?

Best

LH.

If this is true....I'm officially giving up??

It is. 2 of them sited the Apple Play 2 element, the other licensing delays. I honestly don't know what to think of it all now. Hoping Naim can clarify.

Lord Hillier, I'm not sure why they would cite Airplay 2 - Trevor posted on this yesterday and made clear that Airplay 2 is something coming in future and has no bearing on the timing of current new Uniti deliveries.

Richard Dane posted:
Lord_HIllier posted:
Tastiehastie77 posted:
Lord_HIllier posted:

Richard (Dane), can you give us some clarity please around the Atom. Is there an update please? The dealers that I have spoken to (3 in the Midlands), are suggesting end of July to Mid August now, is there any substance in that?

Best

LH.

If this is true....I'm officially giving up??

It is. 2 of them sited the Apple Play 2 element, the other licensing delays. I honestly don't know what to think of it all now. Hoping Naim can clarify.

Lord Hillier, I'm not sure why they would cite Airplay 2 - Trevor posted on this yesterday and made clear that Airplay 2 is something coming in future and has no bearing on the timing of current new Uniti deliveries.

I think we have ended up in the same situation as before, lots of rumours, a week before release and awaiting the uniti update thread being updated. 

ssmith posted:
Eoink posted:
Trevor Wilson posted:

Hi all

for the purpose of clarity, the announcement from Apple yesterday has had no impact or correlation to the New Uniti range development timing and delivery. Airplay 2 is a separate feature for update at a later point in line with Apple release.

Trevor

Lord Hillier, Trevor Wilson responded on the Airplay 2 question yesterday, it's very clear, and it doesn't get more official than that.

To be fair I don't think it's clear, the official timeframe is release next week. Trevor's answer is vague enough to not be beholden to that time frame, ie no date referenced, I hope I'm wrong.

I think there are two questions.

i) Is it in slip again? There I don't believe we have clarity, unless of course it does ship next week in which case there was no need to update.

ii) Are the previous slips and the possible one Lord H has been told of related to the Airplay 2 announcement, there I think Trevor's reply is unambiguous " no impact or correlation to the New Uniti range development timing and delivery".

 

All valid points - thank you for those thoughts. It wouldn't be the first time the dealers do not have all of the information, however, to be fair to them they are often passing on alleged information from the Reps. What was interesting was one dealer referred to an e-mail received from Naim. The truth is somewhere within this, hence asking Richard Dane if there is an update, It will be two weeks this Friday since the last, (that I can see), one thing that is certain in my mind is that the Atom will not be available at the back end of next week as suggested. As for other models, we know that they are still moving targets.

I think that many would appreciate an update soon.

Richard Dane posted:
Lord_HIllier posted:
Tastiehastie77 posted:
Lord_HIllier posted:

Richard (Dane), can you give us some clarity please around the Atom. Is there an update please? The dealers that I have spoken to (3 in the Midlands), are suggesting end of July to Mid August now, is there any substance in that?

Best

LH.

If this is true....I'm officially giving up??

It is. 2 of them sited the Apple Play 2 element, the other licensing delays. I honestly don't know what to think of it all now. Hoping Naim can clarify.

Lord Hillier, I'm not sure why they would cite Airplay 2 - Trevor posted on this yesterday and made clear that Airplay 2 is something coming in future and has no bearing on the timing of current new Uniti deliveries.

Thanks for the reply Richard. The way I read it is that there is therefore confusion in the channel, anecdotal conversational rumour or perception, or, it's tactical to shift the requirement to another vendor? Who knows.

Tastiehastie77 posted:
Mike R posted:
Klout10 posted:

For what it's worth: my dealer confirmed today that my Uniti Atom will be available in two weeks ... 

His dealer needs to read yesterday's letter from NAIM then!!

Prey tell...Letter?

They've just updated the status......

Looks like Klout's dealer and mine were going on information that was superceded by a later email.

jon honeyball posted:

I was trying hard to stay quiet

ignore airplay2. Apple announced it this week for delivery later in the year. That's probably q4. Naim cannot ship it until Apple says so

thats all there is to it. 

Not sure that's quite right!

I do agree that Naim probably can't say "AirPlay 2 ready" until Apple say they can, but Naim probably can ship Atoms with the functionality built in if they want to and also they could disable the functionality and then enable later it with a firmware or app update if they preferred.  So I don't think we should be thinking that the Atom is held up until Apple decides, which is what your "all there is to it" implies.

And the fail they have just run into may not be Apple as Eloise said.

best

David

It is all there is to it

there is no production code from Apple. It is in early beta. There is no shipping apple os with it in. You cannot test for compliance against something that is barely beta. It is months from being ready from Apple let alone a third party implementing the spec 

jon honeyball posted:

It is all there is to it

there is no production code from Apple. It is in early beta. There is no shipping apple os with it in. You cannot test for compliance against something that is barely beta. It is months from being ready from Apple let alone a third party implementing the spec 

I do agree with that! But the Atom isn't held up because of it.

best

David

I think you and Jon are saying the same thing David. As I read his original post, he was saying "Naim can't ship it until Apple say so" with it referring to Airplay 2, and the intent of the message being that Airplay 2 wasn't what was holding up the shipping of the Atom because it was to be launched after the Atom shipped.

A certification is holding up the Atom, it could be Google for Chromecast, it could be Apple for Airplay (not Airplay 2), it could be any other feature that requires external certification.

Christine posted:

I wonder why they can't release the Atom now and disable via software whatever it is they can't obtain a licence for then enable it once the hurdle has been jumped?

I think there are 2 main reasons.

i) The feature set of the new Unitis has been announced, let's say it's Chromecast that's the issue, to launch without that would be a big hole in the new feature set, it it's Airplay (1), then a big hole in the feature set that the previous generation had, and so on depending on which feature set it is.  So from a marketing perspective, I can see why you'd hold on to launch the full system, effectively "don't do another Core".

ii) As an ex software engineer, the chances are that the certification will require some changes, so shipping would then mean early firmware changes, not just a licence enabling, totally possible, but I can see why you wouldn't choose to do it.

 

There are issues in USA tax law about enabling things after launch. To do with how you book the value of the transaction. I am not an accountant. But Apple had to make a $1 charge in the past for enabling capabilities post release on their wifi products. 

Eoink posted:
Christine posted:

I wonder why they can't release the Atom now and disable via software whatever it is they can't obtain a licence for then enable it once the hurdle has been jumped?

I think there are 2 main reasons.

i) The feature set of the new Unitis has been announced, let's say it's Chromecast that's the issue, to launch without that would be a big hole in the new feature set, it it's Airplay (1), then a big hole in the feature set that the previous generation had, and so on depending on which feature set it is.  So from a marketing perspective, I can see why you'd hold on to launch the full system, effectively "don't do another Core".

ii) As an ex software engineer, the chances are that the certification will require some changes, so shipping would then mean early firmware changes, not just a licence enabling, totally possible, but I can see why you wouldn't choose to do it.

 

Yes, you are probably correct.

I guess we are only a very small bunch of people who are bothered that we can't purchase it right now.

Likes (1)
Richard Dane
×
×
×
×