Best frontman in a British rock band

Pedantry alert.... The UK or more fully The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the  political grouping of  the countries of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England into a single nation state. The British Isles refers to the geographical land masses, rather than any nation state, off to the west of continental Europe comprising of Great Britain, the island of Ireland and the smaller islands like the Isle of Man etc. Great Britain is derived in name from the greatest sized island of the British Isles, and politically comprises of the countries of Wales, Scotland and England.

Joerand posted:

Hmack posted:

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf.

I got golf via a quick google. Frankly I suspected it would be curling.

Unfortunately, 'global warming' has undermined our prowess at our 2nd national sport. Our once natural curling rinks don't freeze over in the winter any more.   

Hmack posted:
joerand posted:
Corry posted:

Alex Harvey was Scottish, which makes him British.

So Scots are Brits but Irish aren't? Confusing for us former colonials.

Has me wondering why cricket is Britain's national sport and Scotland's is golf.

I suspect you are joking, but for anyone who does not know, it's quite simple:

Anyone born in the Republic of Ireland is 'Irish', NOT 'British'

Anyone born in the North of Ireland is BOTH 'Northern Irish' AND 'British'

Anyone born in Wales is BOTH 'Welsh AND British'

Anyone born in England is BOTH 'English' AND 'British'

Anyone born in Scotland is BOTH 'Scottish' (not Scotch) AND 'British'

although with the way BREXIT negotiations are going, Scotland may choose not to remain in Britain for very much longer.   

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf. Golf is just a pleasant pastime. It's just that we're not very good at football any more, so you won't see us at the World Cup.  

People could be forgven for thinking Scotland’s national game is tossing...

(the caber)

As for nationality, that relevant to nationals of all except the Republic of Ireland in the above is British - and not United Kingdom as a lot of airlines now offer instead of British in the drop down list to select when booking an international flight. (Not that nationality is conferred automatically by place of birth.)

When I saw Prodigy in 96 just after the release of Firestarter, I was expecting Keith to be at the centrestage but he was overshadowed by Maxim who ran the show whilst Liam Howlett did his stuff with keyboards.  So in terms of stage presence he certainly stood out.  At the same show they played a new track which sounded to me like  'it's my pizza' wasn't until the album was released that I realised that it was the embarrassingly named 'Smack my bitch up'.  It would of been much better as 'It's my pizza'

Best frontperson Siouxsie Sioux - see any track from Koln Germany 1981 (with the brilliant John McGeogh on guitar)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twPQicPJkok

Nearly a week into the thread and no mention of THE greatest frontmant of a British rock band.

Ronnie James Dio.

Probably the greatest metal vocalist, but he was far more than that. Not just a hired singer, he influenced and seemed to inspire the musicians he played with, in a very positive manner. All the Sabbath and Rainbow albums he sang on where all top notch, as where the first three Dio albums.

Noddy Holder? Only half joking 

More seriously, I’d say a coin toss between Freddie and Jagger. Fred was an even greater showman, a better singer and (perhaps?) made more of a contribution to writing the big songs, but Mick has kept it going for more than half a Century. Tough choice. 

Just saw Mr Jagger in action last night, I have never been his biggest fan but to give credit when it’s due, his energy level was exceptional, his ability to captivate an audience, sheer charisma....absolutely superb..... bearing in mind he’s been strutting his stuff for 50 years plus.... 

possibly agree with KEVIN J CARDEN....Freddie probably  a better Singer and Song writer 

Hmack posted:

Joerand posted:

Hmack posted:

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf.

I got golf via a quick google. Frankly I suspected it would be curling.

Unfortunately, 'global warming' has undermined our prowess at our 2nd national sport. Our once natural curling rinks don't freeze over in the winter any more.   

Well I do know that true curling stones originate from Ailsa Craig and no amount of global warming should undermine that, although the island was up for sale recently.

As for presence in front of a band and in front of a crowd, I'd probably have to vote Jagger #1 and Daltrey #1A.  Robert Plant tied at 1A??  I cannot say that Jagger is MY favorite, but in terms of what a front man does I'd have to call him the best at it.

Bono is / was quite good too the 2 times I've seen him.

For me the best Rock frontman to do the cover of the song 'Love Hurts' was Dan McAfferty of Nazareth.  He simply just nails it, its as if the song was specificly composed for his voice.  The pain and anguish are so expressly conveyed  by his style of singing, its hard not to feel emotional.

My vote would go to Bruce Guthro front man of the biggest band no one knows. RUNRIG. best thing to come out of Scotland. 40 years on they are still filling stadiums throughout Europe and the UKat this very moment.  They play their very last concert this August in Stirling to approx 30000 fans. 

They play music that has a passion and a cause and tells a story in English and Gaelic. I challenge you to listen to their last Album , The Story.

Robert Plant gets my vote.

Freddie Mercury stole Live Aid with a virtuoso performance.  Queen's music was spot on for that occasion.  Led Zep were embarrassing and I suspect that performance fueled their later O2 concert where they nailed it.

I can't deny Mick Jagger his dues - heck of a front man.

Roger Daltrey probably too but I could never relate to their music.

Paul Rogers and Free were superb but I always regarded them as a tight unit, without Paul emerging so much as a front man.

Peter

Add Reply

Likes (1)
Clive B