cisco 2960 8tc/ vs paul pang tcxo

French Rooster / Simon,

I am now a 2960 believer.

I was in NO hurry to change my system as I am very happy with what I am hearing .....BUT, I was off on hols last week and the night before we left my main Cisco switch began thrumming as one of the fans kept going out of balance. I decided to quickly replace it with the 2960 so that my daughter could sleep while we were away, I am just too kind.

On returning I have noticed a positive difference, not dissimilar to removing SMPS, but in a different part of the audio spectrum. This is all subtle, but writing it below will make it all sound absolute and simple - not to my ears.

SMPS removal
Sounds more 'relaxed', by which I mean all the detail & timing is there, just 'feels' more like music (sorry - vague). High frequencies that could be sharp and highlighted in places now aren't.

Sounds more 'relaxed', by which I mean all the detail & timing is there, just 'feels' more like music (sorry - vague). Low frequencies that could be vague and indistinct in places now aren't.

Found myself listening to more whole albums, not hoping about as it all sounds soooo good.

M

Mr Underhill posted:

French Rooster / Simon,

I am now a 2960 believer.

I was in NO hurry to change my system as I am very happy with what I am hearing .....BUT, I was off on hols last week and the night before we left my main Cisco switch began thrumming as one of the fans kept going out of balance. I decided to quickly replace it with the 2960 so that my daughter could sleep while we were away, I am just too kind.

On returning I have noticed a positive difference, not dissimilar to removing SMPS, but in a different part of the audio spectrum. This is all subtle, but writing it below will make it all sound absolute and simple - not to my ears.

SMPS removal
Sounds more 'relaxed', by which I mean all the detail & timing is there, just 'feels' more like music (sorry - vague). High frequencies that could be sharp and highlighted in places now aren't.

Sounds more 'relaxed', by which I mean all the detail & timing is there, just 'feels' more like music (sorry - vague). Low frequencies that could be vague and indistinct in places now aren't.

Found myself listening to more whole albums, not hoping about as it all sounds soooo good.

M

i am glad you are more enjoying now.  I didn't understand what is your smps removal : you changed the ps on the 2960?

For me i kept the 2960 too, but put an acoustic lan isolator before it and optical bridge after, with linear ps. The cisco alone sounds a little hard on my ears. 

Mr Underhill posted:

Hi FS,

No the 2960 is unchanged, followed Simon's advice there. Any device in my system that WAS powered by an SMPS is now powered by a LPSU; subtle but additive.

M

ok, i have done the same:  uptone js2 for unitserve and tplink, hdplex for second tplink. But even with that, i found the cisco a little hard:  acoustic revive between router and cisco put off this hardness.   But some ddidn't found the cisco 2960 a little hard and  edgy....

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

You might find that very short Ethernet patch leads are not optimum for connection to audio equipment..

What would you say is the shortest/optimum length of the patch leads?

I'm just in the process of doing some ethernet rerouting, so this is very timely :-)

Solid Air posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

You might find that very short Ethernet patch leads are not optimum for connection to audio equipment..

What would you say is the shortest/optimum length of the patch leads?

I'm just in the process of doing some ethernet rerouting, so this is very timely :-)

It can of course depend on the PHY driver of the switch, some can detect cable length and reduce power accordingly, but with regular data uses the leads can be as short as you like, with audio equipment you might just benefit from a tiny bit of loss... I use 3 metres as a minimum 

William posted:

Hi folks I am currently eyeing a WS-C2960-8TC-L on the bay. It doesn't have a power cord, am I right in thinking it takes a standard AC mains cable?

Regards, William

Yes standard IEC C13 (Kettle ) lead... do ensure the seller has factory reset the switch... if you are not familiar with the device you don't want to mess around doing that... although fully managed configurable devices, when in their  factory default state they will operate like a simple unmanaged switch.

French Rooster posted:
Mr Underhill posted:

Hi FS,

No the 2960 is unchanged, followed Simon's advice there. Any device in my system that WAS powered by an SMPS is now powered by a LPSU; subtle but additive.

M

ok, i have done the same:  uptone js2 for unitserve and tplink, hdplex for second tplink. But even with that, i found the cisco a little hard:  acoustic revive between router and cisco put off this hardness.   But some ddidn't found the cisco 2960 a little hard and  edgy....

Hi FR,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. In my case it was replacing an old CISCO managed switch I had used for many years.

The 2960 in my case is in the loft in my server rack. Due to the nature of the beast there are a fair few SMPS in that location.

In my HiFi setup I now have no SMPS, my small Netgear switch being powered by a LPSU. Although, I do not use a separate ring or spur and so it is all on the same circuit, something I will address.

I have had an issue this week and so introduced a 9V IFI into the HiFi during troubleshooting, oh dear - it was very quickly moved back upstairs.

M

Mr Underhill posted:
French Rooster posted:
Mr Underhill posted:

Hi FS,

M

Hi FR,

Sorry it didn't work out for you. In my case it was replacing an old CISCO managed switch I had used for many years.

The 2960 in my case is in the loft in my server rack. Due to the nature of the beast there are a fair few SMPS in that location.

In my HiFi setup I now have no SMPS, my small Netgear switch being powered by a LPSU. Although, I do not use a separate ring or spur and so it is all on the same circuit, something I will address.

I have had an issue this week and so introduced a 9V IFI into the HiFi during troubleshooting, oh dear - it was very quickly moved back upstairs.

M

hey underhill,  i did not say it doesn't work well for me( 2960). Just a bit hardness at the beginning. But now, with lan isolation before the cisco and a good quality lan cable between the router and this switch, all is fine now.  I realized recently that good quality lan cables are important on all the network road, not only at the end before the streamer.

I've not had a great deal of time over the weekend, but I did manage to plug the new Cisco switch in and compare briefly to my old Cisco. First impressions are that the music has gained a little air and better definition, maybe a little better balanced too. These are only subtle changes but it does sound better than the 110d with ifi ipower. 

Finkfan posted:

I've not had a great deal of time over the weekend, but I did manage to plug the new Cisco switch in and compare briefly to my old Cisco. First impressions are that the music has gained a little air and better definition, maybe a little better balanced too. These are only subtle changes but it does sound better than the 110d with ifi ipower. 

Finkfan, I did pretty much the same as you and therefore my iFi iPower was going spare. As the iPower was rated to suit my BT Home Hub 5, I acquired the correct DC adaptor and stuck it on the HH5 and hence removed another pesky SMPS. OK the iPower is a SMPS too but it is a low noise design. Pretty sure putting the iPower on the HH5 improved things further although subtle at best.

If your iPower is now spare and if you have a BT Home Hub (or similar) and if the iPower is a suitable rating (lots of ifs there) you might try it.

Hi Nigel. Yes I too moved my ipower to those duties. I did wonder if the 2 switches I have elsewhere in my network would benifit from an ipower? Would it reduce 'noise' on the network and have a positive effect on my streaming? My 272 is fed exclusively via the 2960 which is fed directly from my 'Hub'. 

Finkfan posted:

Hi Nigel. Yes I too moved my ipower to those duties. I did wonder if the 2 switches I have elsewhere in my network would benifit from an ipower? Would it reduce 'noise' on the network and have a positive effect on my streaming? My 272 is fed exclusively via the 2960 which is fed directly from my 'Hub'. 

Not sure if more iPowers on further switches would help. As you have a spare iPower you could move it from your Home Hub and try it on your other switches and see (or rather hear) if it makes a difference. I suspect however the switch nearest the streamer and server/NAS would have the most potential impact on SQ but you already have the Cisco for those duties.

I am now a 2960 believer too. 

Picked up an used Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960-8TC-L-V03 last week for only €24,95 at my local store. It has a governmental sticker on it, the dutch crown.

My first observations are great, lots of PRAT, good sound layering, more details in high and low and no more listening fatigue. 

So the government now gives me joy and a smile on my face. Not that hard to pay the tax bills anymore..

meni48 posted:

At the moment I'm using only cat 6 between the Rauter and the Netgear switch, An addition of a lan isolator will I get any improvement in term of sound quality.

And what for us in America who do not use Rauter but Rooter? 

Hmm best use the original term then 'Gateway' and all will be happy. Of course in English a router pronounced  'raughter' is something that gouges or cuts a slice into something, typically wood - but can include  armies  - so it always make me smile (and slightly wince) when I hear some across the Atlantic use the 'raughter' pronunciation for a gateway or a network router (rooter) that routes between networks

A router that should be pronounced 'raughter'.....

Likes (0)