Confused by upgrade options...

hungryhalibut posted:

Well yes, but he’s not actually intending to buy three amplifiers. 

ah yes,  sorry, I'd  just spent 5 hours watching training material - brain fried, obviously didn't click out of idiot mode.  Still, 2 days to come without seeing a PowerPoint slide to recover...

TallGuy posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

Well yes, but he’s not actually intending to buy three amplifiers. 

ah yes,  sorry, I'd  just spent 5 hours watching training material - brain fried, obviously didn't click out of idiot mode.  Still, 2 days to come without seeing a PowerPoint slide to recover...

You have my simpathy. I tried to complete some idiotic courses this year, it relates strongly to the days I've been active most on this forum. Worst thing is computer voice over.

JME,

Any news with your proposed UQ2 upgrades? I’m curious as I too have a UnitiQute2, so also considering the many options. My thoughts are currently similar to your idea No 1). Although a variation on your No 4) is also an option I’d considered. To me, the following seem logical cost effective steps.

…UQ2 + NAP200. The UQ2 used as Pre / Streamer initially.
…NAC-N 272.2 + NAP200. The UQ2 sold or used elsewhere.
...NAC-N 272.2 + XPS + NAP200. Simple. Not too many boxes.

Ideas are in anticipation of the direction Naim take with their NAC-N range, so I’ll not be making any quick decisions. If the current 272 is the last NAC-N incarnation, then I’ll keep plans fluid, which will still be easy. Temporarily use the UQ2 as a source into a Supernait2 and then add an NDX2 as funds permit, or plunge for an NDX2 from the off and use that as a source into the UQ2. So many options only a dem will help clarify!

Just a couple of ideas rattling around my noggin. Please keep your thread updated with progress as it would be good to read how you move forward.

Yeti,

Thanks, will do. With so many options it’s difficult to know what direction to go in. 

It is, I think, even more difficult when funds require second hand purchases as it makes demo impossible unless you’re willing to take a chance and sell on. But, then you might buy something and be happy enough that you don’t try further options which might, for the money, be better. 

I called my nearest dealer but they didn’t have anything I wanted to listen to available. There is another dealer further away but I have a baby due in a couple of weeks so will have to hold fire for now. 

I do love the simplicity of one box, but two would also be fine. I am sorely tempted to pick up a pre Bluetooth superuniti and be done. I could even keep the qute and move it into my study with some iotas to replace a Nad D3020 I use with headphones.

Will let you know.

J

A tricky choice. With a pending new arrival (congratulations!) then the simplicity of a SuperUniti could just be the ideal choice for a couple of years while the new Naim streaming platform matures and develops. The SU prices on the secondhand market are now very tempting indeed. I'm sure your local dealers would quickly get on the case and look for minty examples. Personally I really value the Uniti Bluetooth option as I stream podcasts from iPhone / iPad (works flawlessly) as an alternative to music. A pre bluetooth SU is going to be cheaper though. In time, you could even add a NAP and start the SU system expansion that way. 

Agree re the UQ2. If funds permit, just hold on to it and use elsewhere. I’m quite the fan of this little box. It has to be one of the best bang for buck units Naim have made.

Likewise, I’ll be making secondhand purchases to move forward. As mentioned, more than likely secondhand NAP / SN2 first off, then a NAC-N or streamer to match. Lots to think about.

Certainly interesting to compare notes as there are so many options for UQ2 owners. 

Thought rather than create a new thread I’d just use this. 

Out of interest. If running a qute into nait as source. Can you just use one remote or do you need to use both nait remote to select qute then qute remote to select which source/input on qute? 

I suppose could use nait remote plus naim app too?

thanks. 

jme posted:

Thought rather than create a new thread I’d just use this. 

Out of interest. If running a qute into nait as source. Can you just use one remote or do you need to use both nait remote to select qute then qute remote to select which source/input on qute? 

I suppose could use nait remote plus naim app too?

thanks. 

With an integrated amp (or separate preamp) you would need to control volume etc. with its own remote. If it’s a long term option, you might consider a power amp instead of an integrated so that a single remote would do everything. 

If running a Uniti Qute as a source into a NAIT, you could either just set the UQ volume to a certain level and then control system volume from the NAIT.  Or, if you just want to have the one controller doing most all, you could connect the Qute into an input on the NAIT with Unity Gain enabled, thus bypassing the volume control on the NAIT. Volume control for that input would then be governed by the Qute. I'm not sure which would sound best, as I've never tried it myself, but could be interesting to experiment.

Thanks, much appreciated. 

Yes, I wondered about the latter, but if I understand correctly that would bypass the nait preamp. Looking at Xs xs2 or supernait I would have thought they would have better preamp sections than the qute? 

Add Reply

Likes (0)