Cover versions better than the original.

I Need A Lover. Johnny Cougar's original or Pat Benetar's cover? I first knew Benetar's pop-oriented version from radio back in the day and always enjoyed it. The song helped launch her career. Decades later I heard Mellencamp's original, a more developed and substantial recording. Happily, the success of Benetar's cover helped launch John's career.

Stevee_S posted:

Back in the day I preferred  Cyndi's version to Roy Orbison's original. 

Same could be said for Ronstadt's "Blue Bayou". Maybe Roy wrote songs more tenable to female voices? Partisans of Van Halen's "Pretty Woman" cover may disagree.

blythe posted:

"The Sound Of Silence" by Disturbed. Floats my boat far more than the original S&G version.

I love the original for the tempo, guitar and beauty of S&G's harmonies, but also enjoy Disturbed's deeper, blacker, and more powerful solo vocal approach . The lyrics are poetically dark and isolating (ala "Eleanor Rigby"). Seems appropriate for a grunge or metal band to cover such tracks.

nickpeacock posted:
Chunky posted:

The Czars version of Tim Buckley's Song to the Siren.

Good one, although Elizabeth Faser's version - technically This mortal Coil - is sublime and unsurpassable.

I love John Grant's haunting vocal on the Czar's version, but although I am a fan of Elizabeth Fraser's  work with the Cocteau Twins, I've not heard This Mortal Coil's cover of this.  I must seek it out.

dave marshall posted:

Rag 'n' Bone Man - Die Easy.

Not really a cover as such, more a version of a traditional blues chant already done by Zep and many others, but what  a version. 

🔹 DAVE MARSHALL,...I love Rag'n'Bone Man,he has a fantastic voice.

/Peder🙂 

Chunky posted:
nickpeacock posted:
Chunky posted:

The Czars version of Tim Buckley's Song to the Siren.

Good one, although Elizabeth Faser's version - technically This mortal Coil - is sublime and unsurpassable.

I love John Grant's haunting vocal on the Czar's version, but although I am a fan of Elizabeth Fraser's  work with the Cocteau Twins, I've not heard This Mortal Coil's cover of this.  I must seek it out.

Chunky,

Here's This Mortal Coil's version. It's beautiful

Also, check out This Mortal Coil's version of Another Day by Roy Harper

I doubt either of these is going to meet with much agreement, but:

Always on my mind: The Pet Shop Boys’ 80s disco stomper version knocks The King’s maudlin original into a cocked hat.

California Dreamin’: The Beach Boys’ slick 80s version walks all over The Mamas & the Papas’ rather weird original that sounds more like an early rehearsal rather than a final take. In particular, the former’s sax solo is worth at least a dozen of the latter’s flute solo.

Ready to be disagreed with,

Mark

kuma posted:

Here are a few: Many  cover for Carol King's tune but I still prefer most of her original rendition. Except this one.

I also prefer Nicolette's upbeat version of Lotta Love than the folksy Neil Young original.

I do like the James Taylor version of "Up On The Roof" but I prefer Laura Nyro's version.

Some rather obvious ones:

The Beatles - "Please Mr Postman" (original by The Marvelettes) and "You Really Got A Hold On Me" (original by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)

Rod Stewart - "The First Cut Is The Deepest" (original by Cat Stevens, though I think PP Arnolds version was released first?) and "This Old Heart Of Mine" (original by The Isley Brothers).

🌹 Aretha Franklin's version of The Rolling Stones..."Jumpin' Jack Flash".

◾Simply Outstanding,..listen how she uses her voice.

I've looked through lots of video's on YouTube with The Rolling Stones,...have found some versions that are really good...BUT....

Aretha's version is cruel,the more you watch the video the more details you discover.

Adds two studio version with The Rolling Stones,and after that Aretha Franklin's version.

🔹The Rolling Stones,.."Jumpin' Jack Flash"..🔽🔽

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?...S-PB-xvo&sns=sms

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?...BKGcRQg0&sns=sms

🔸Aretha Franklin.."Jumpin' Jack Flash"..🔽🔽

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...rLpwj1vk&sns=sms 

/Peder 🙂

Add Reply

Likes (2)
ZackwaterTabby cat