Earth loop issue?

interesting i had the same problem. i don't have a clue how computers work. my wife as a computer in her office up stairs put the router is down stair the router uses the mains earth to send the signal to the computer up stairs. this caused my nap 200 to hum. l put a dedicated earth with 5 earth poles. and it stopped the problem.i already had a dedicated mains using two cables 

Davie R posted:

interesting i had the same problem. i don't have a clue how computers work. my wife as a computer in her office up stairs put the router is down stair the router uses the mains earth to send the signal to the computer up stairs. this caused my nap 200 to hum. l put a dedicated earth with 5 earth poles. and it stopped the problem.i already had a dedicated mains using two cables 

I’m not exactly sure what a ‘dedicated earth with 5 poles’ is, but wouldn’t it have been easier to run an Ethernet cable to the computer?

Davie R posted:

sorry chrissu i should of said earth rod .a dedicated earth is a earth cable from the consumer unit  to a earth rod out side buried in the garden

I thought you probably meant something like that, so perhaps more hassle than putting in an Ethernet cable, but I guess there are other benefits to having a decent earth. Personally I would still favour elimination to mitigation where possible. 

Add Reply