Eng India Test Series

Another Test, another wicket and set of playing conditions which offered a lot of help to the bowlers - indeed, too much swing, with 'extras' again being a material contributor - why they didn't call some of Bumrah's legside deliveries as 'wides' is beyond me. I've not seen many games where an 80-over-old ball is moving around so much and bouncing around like a tennis ball on occasions.

England did very well and were very fortunate to navigate their way to ~130-1 and then chose to compensate for this with some unfortunate batting thereafter. Different match, same issues for some - and a shame Curran was out trying to leave the ball - never a good way to go. Buttler will be thankful he wrapped a lot of tape around his blade.

My loyalty is to England but my sense of fair play wants India to win, as 3-2 would be a fair picture of the competitive nature of this series. I think India's bowlers were unlucky in the last game and also yesterday.

It's been a great series for retaining interest, helped by the good weather we've had.

Another tight game and yet again England look to be in the driving seat without really covering themselves in glory.

India seem to have bowled very well again with no luck, but England have stuck to their task and yet again india just did not contribute enough with the bat throughout the order. I sensed Kohli was getting weary-his dismissal looked a bit lazy. Root has looked a bit befuddled with the bat all series mind you and in need of a break.

There have been some odd selections in this series on both sides but Jadeja should surely have played the last test with Ashwin not obviously fit and why we have picked Rashid again is a bit beyond me. Maybe he will bowl India out 2nd innings but somehow that looks unlikely.

I guess the plan is to declare with 350 to win midway through the final session-but this series has rarely seen things go to plan. The perfect day also includes a Cook century but they will cheer him off whatever.

It has been a really enjoyable series with real competition between bat and ball.

Bruce

I agree with every word of Bruce's post above.

I am a die hard England supporter but I can't help feeling that a 4-1 margin would be unfair on India who have been extremely competitive and not had a lot of luck. Looking on from afar they have played the series in a very good spirit - the guard of honour for Cook was much appreciated as was the bhangra dance lesson from Shikhar Darwan when fielding on the boundary and Jadeja's bat twirling celebration of his well earnt 50. Maybe one positive side effect of the IPL is improved relations between players from different countries.

It's a great achievement for England to win a series against the top ranked team but they still have a lot of issues - so many that they probably deserve a thread in their own right!

I think Shami must have offended the gods of cricket as he had Cook playing and missing so much yesterday, and he's been very unlucky in previous games. The 2 teams come across as evenly matched, both having challenges with confidence and settling on their best XI. It will be interesting to see who England pick for the forthcoming tour of Sri Lanka as there are players who (IMV) really shouldn't go (Jennings and Rashid, the latter based on recent performances e.g. expensive) but I'm sure they will absent better options. 

At least this game looks like it will last in to day 5, famous last words..!

The Sri Lanka squad will be interesting in a variety of ways. I think they will stick with Jennings as allegedly he's a good player of spin but goodness knows who will bat 2 and 3. Who will they take as bowlers? Will one of Broad and Anderson request a rest? Curran's lack of pace on flat wickets will mean he's not a frontline option. Can Stokes handle a big workload over there? can we find another spinner either with or without Rashid in the squad?

Winning this series still leaves lots and lots of issues.

Bruce

I wonder when the declaration will come? Yesterday evening I thought Root would want to get to 300 but the run-rate this morning is higher than I expected and that target could be easily reached mid-way through the afternoon session.  Will Root think he wants four sessions to bowl out India?  

Oh the joy of a batting collapse. Your best batsmen gets a golden duck, everyone else is rushing around trying to get the pads on and find that second glove. The adrenalin is flowing.

I have lots of experience in the team I play for-although since I usually open I generally start the rot!

Bruce

Good grief what a couple of days and what a series. Jimmy Anderson breaks the all time pace-bowler wickets record getting the last wicket after India stage a mighty comeback.

Test cricket at its finest, 4:1 flatters England a lot in my view but cricket is really the winner. Cook's century yesterday gave me goosebumps just watching the highlights!

It feels like summer has ended on a high

Bruce

Just as well Root set a big target. I thought India were doing really well in chasing it and then....

So pleased for Anderson to take the final wicket of the series and achieve his record. 4-1 might flatter England a bit but the record books won't show that.

I think Kohli's summary on C5 was spot on, when he said they were 2 competitive teams, well-matched and while it's 4-1, it doesn't tell the story of what has been a very exciting and, in many games, closely fought series. Great kudos to the Indians for their play, attitudes and their respect for Cook in his last game. Mid-afternoon I was considering a flutter on an Indian win!

Like many games of sport, the 4-1 scoreline could have been oh so different and let's be fair, the Indian's walking to the wicket in the vast majority of cases encountered ideal English bowling conditions (swing/seam) and 'result wickets'. Indeed, largely it has been a series where the ball has tamed the bat which is good to see. In some ways, the result serves to reinforce the advantage of the home side and why Test series results of recent times are won by the same.

I'm hoping the Indian team do well in Oz. They seem well-equipped for the task via the bowling attack. I fear for England (ex Cook) in Sri Lanka on heavily turning wickets (from 1st ball if Kumar S. is correct). 

Whoever is responsible for the algorithm which works out the (meaningless) world rankings has a tough job on their hands.

Add Reply

Likes (0)