FM radio: does anyone still use it?

Absolutely. I just happen to have hooked a SCDR on my NAT05 XS in lieu of HCDR. A marvel. I had done it a few years ago waiting for the 252 to arrive. I knew it was very very good, but at Allegri+/300DR level, it is exquisite. This over the top combo has great transparency without a bit of compromise of PRaT. It has deep, but light and quick basses, and wonderful timbres. Voices are barely warm and forward just to sound very natural. The NAT01 will  probably do better, but for those who already have a SC, you might just want to grab a S/H XS for 300 quids or so and try it for yourself.  Yes FM over iRadio any time.:taré1:

Chag -  

I have been a radio listner my whole life, before the internet it was the only way of hearing new music and I always had a decent tuner and still have three but unless I'm in the car I don't listen to fm anymore sadly.

I have really taken to iRadio in a big way and although not as good as fm it is better and better some 320kpb staions like Linn Jazz and Radio Paradise are very good quality.

I have a Roberts that plays dab and fm for work and because of signal stability and station choice I use dab.

If there were a multitude of real analogue fm stations available playing live music as it it did when I was growing up I would invest in a top end tuner but not just to listen to BBC radio. 

Bob the Builder posted:

I have been a radio listner my whole life, before the internet it was the only way of hearing new music and I always had a decent tuner and still have three but unless I'm in the car I don't listen to fm anymore sadly.

I have really taken to iRadio in a big way and although not as good as fm it is better and better some 320kpb staions like Linn Jazz and Radio Paradise are very good quality.

I have a Roberts that plays dab and fm for work and because of signal stability and station choice I use dab.

If there were a multitude of real analogue fm stations available playing live music as it it did when I was growing up I would invest in a top end tuner but not just to listen to BBC radio. 

You me and alike Bob I sometimes listen all day.  

Here’s the thing though.  The Qb with its choice of stations is great but I still get too many annoying drop-outs.   And as for DAB in the car - arghhhhh - I drove all the way from Buckingham to Newcastle 2 weekends ago and R3 on FM just stayed locked on.  Not a blip but with DAB I can’t go 15 miles down the road to Aylesbury without a silence.  And R3 on FM sounds sublime.  

Progress or not.  

Regards,

Lindsay

Not me - the only station I listen to that is available on FM is Radio 4 and I'm not too fussed about sound quality for the Today Programme etc. None of my preferred music stations broadcast on FM and as Radio Paradise is now available in FLAC the sound quality issue is in favour of internet radio. Even if it wasn't the choice is a clinching factor - listening to local music stations direct from Jamaica, Nigeria etc. is brilliant fun - try doing that on FM.  DAB is OK for the car - I'm not getting another FM radio.

NAT 01 for me and still adore it's sound.Sometimes it's on in the lounge on Radio 3 in the evening and I come into the Kitchen from another room and if I like what they are playing usually a live broadcast I sit down and get transfixed by the performance and lose half an hour......its happened so many times I've lost count.I also use a A@R Cambridge T21 which is superb for its price back in the day but the 01 is something very special.Definatly in the top 5 tuners ever made with the Marantz 10 B and Day Sequerra.

Big fan of FM radio. Listen daily.  Fortunate to live close to a few universities, so always have a variety of programs available.  

Use a NAT05 XS w/ flatcap and a Magnum Dynalab 100.  One of these days I need to try the Hicap DR on the NAT.  

FM is on most of the day at home; unitiqutes in bedrooms, kitchen and study. NAT02 ln living room. I have a basic Ron Smith aerial which does a great job in spite of the pigeons. I listen to dab for the cricket and workout to Radio Paradise but FM dominates my listening.

I just sold my NAT05,  FM tuner...

...and bought a Scottish Akurate tuner with FM and DAB.

It's the ultimate in laziness, ONE key to press on the remote (the input selection) and there's sound emanating from my system.  And if I was last listening to something decent, like birdsong, then decent sound will sometimes emanate once again. (OK that's an oversimplification, but it's getting late).

Except for the trusty old radio alarm and the battery powered bathroom radios, FM doesn't get a look in these days. DAB or podcasts in the car, and since the audio gear moved to the other room with no easy aerial connection it's been streaming only through the main stereo. Still have the old Nait 5i with a TRT2000 tuner plugged in in the living room, but it rarely gets any use. BBC hd streams are great, DAB gives me the options in the car of listenable 5L, LBC and 6Music if Today becomes too overbearing, like it will this week with a 5 days of Labour's conference going on. No thanks.

The death or radio is a bit exaggerated. I live somewhere where an announced FM cutoff of 2018 came and went and didn't happen and the high end domestic brands are all making FM tuners still of the NAT01 sort of price range. If pure FM is your thing and you cannot get a NAT, there are still brand spanking new high end FM tuners out there.

The real issue for me is where I live and availability and choice it's fine if you have a mulitude of stations available but I don't, ifI had the same choice on fm that I do on dab I'd buy a decent tuner again.

I did have a Nat01 for a very short time a couple of years back and yes it sounded fantastic even without a huge roof top arial but found I probably found something worth listening to maybe once a week because if you don't like Radio three then your options are limited to the odd show on Radio 2.

I'm also sure I also read somewhere that some of the big commercial fm stations use a digital process to compress the fm signal before sending it out which if true defeats the object a bit for me and is kind of like using a digital phono stage or a record pressed from a digital file.

Internet radio on the other hand I listen to everyday and some of the staions do sound really very good not analogue good of course but very listenable and slo the Roberts dab not only looks great but is playing all day everyday.

ChrisR_EPL posted:

?. DAB or podcasts in the car, and since the audio gear moved to the other room with no easy aerial connection it's been streaming only through the main stereo. 

Well living where in East Anglia DAB is notoriously unreliable, with frequent dropouts or periods of no service when on the move.. so much so I stick with FM in the car if actually want to listen to something unless travelling to more densely packed parts of the county where DAB seems to work. I also have found some interesting community radio with live gigs etc on FM that really are enjoyable rather than the usual recipe of bland corporate mush that appears on many commercial DAB stations. Thank goodness FM appears alive and well at least from a creative aspect. I just wish BBC Radio 6 would come to FM.

Interesting that our new recent second family car seemed to now sport only a FM radio.. perhaps DAB is falling out of favour??

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
ChrisR_EPL posted:

?. DAB or podcasts in the car, and since the audio gear moved to the other room with no easy aerial connection it's been streaming only through the main stereo. 

Well living where in East Anglia DAB is notoriously unreliable, with frequent dropouts or periods of no service when on the move.. so much so I stick with FM in the car if actually want to listen to something unless travelling to more densely packed parts of the county where DAB seems to work. I also have found some interesting community radio with live gigs etc on FM that really are enjoyable rather than the usual recipe of bland corporate mush that appears on many commercial DAB stations. Thank goodness FM appears alive and well at least from a creative aspect. I just wish BBC Radio 6 would come to FM.

Interesting that our new recent second family car seemed to now sport only a FM radio.. perhaps DAB is falling out of favour??

Much the same here in N Wales, even at home I can only get a handful of DAB stations all of which I can get on iRadio, generally in better sound quality. FM in the car never drops out. 

ChrisSU posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
ChrisR_EPL posted:

Much the same here in N Wales, even at home I can only get a handful of DAB stations all of which I can get on iRadio, generally in better sound quality. FM in the car never drops out. 

Horses for courses clearly; being lucky enough to live & work close to major conurbations with major trunk roads nearby means that DAB serves us well, so the choice in the car is much appreciated. The crap pop stations don't trouble the dial; 6Music, 5L, 5LSX esp TMS (btw catch Aggers' one-man show, saw it recently and it's very very good), 4Xtra and LBC for Eddie Mair give us a good spread of listening, and if not there's always a podcast of Fighting Talk, Peter Crouch [good] or Danny Baker to chuck on. Being stuck between a choice of either Elaine Paige or Radio 1 doesn't happen.

Btw 6M will never launch on FM.  No space, goes against policy, costs; just not going to happen.

@Bob - "I'm also sure I also read somewhere that some of the big commercial fm stations use a digital process to compress the fm signal before sending it out which if true defeats the object a bit for me and is kind of like using a digital phono stage or a record pressed from a digital file." They all do, BBC included. Look up Optimod processing; it's what makes FM usable in cars, originally intended to give ILR stations a 'sound' its use spread, BBC radio have used it for yonks, including on R3. What you hear through the airwaves isn't anything close to a true reflection of source. It's made to sound 'good' via a limited medium. 

Add Reply

Likes (0)