Football season 2018/19

Christopher_M posted:

Um, Kenny Jackett not that pleased with your lot in you salvaging a late draw at home to Shrews, according to local print media....

No, and rightly so.  We were missing a few, including the very exciting Ronan Curtis who has started the season on fire, but we laboured and were lucky to get a point.  That said we're still undefeated, so I can't complain. Next Saturday will be a big one: away to Peterborough so top v second.  If we come through that undefeated I really will get excited!

MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Um, Kenny Jackett not that pleased with your lot in you salvaging a late draw at home to Shrews, according to local print media....

No, and rightly so.  We were missing a few, including the very exciting Ronan Curtis who has started the season on fire, but we laboured and were lucky to get a point.  That said we're still undefeated, so I can't complain. Next Saturday will be a big one: away to Peterborough so top v second.  If we come through that undefeated I really will get excited!

Good stuff. Hopefully you will have Brett Pitman back too.

Christopher_M posted:
MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Good stuff. Hopefully you will have Brett Pitman back too.

Actually he's been available since the season started but at the moment can't keep his place in the team and either has been subbed or has started from the bench. He's grumpy about it, of course. Still he scored on Tuesday night and yesterday so hopefully his goal-scoring form is returning.  

Christopher_M posted:

Meant to say to you, Mike, I met Crouchie in Commercial Rd on Saturday before the game. Nicest man in football.

Gosh.  I'm impressed. Yes, he seems a nice down-to-earth guy who is prepared to laugh at himself. Much better with his feet than many people gave him credit for, too.  

Christopher_M posted:

Meant to say to you, Mike, I met Crouchie in Commercial Rd on Saturday before the game. Nicest man in football.

And gave one of the funniest and most repeated answers in football. 

When asked by Johnothan Ross what he would have been if he wasn't a professional footballer?  He answered

a virgin.

MDS posted:
Christopher_M posted:

Gosh.  I'm impressed. Yes, he seems a nice down-to-earth guy who is prepared to laugh at himself. Much better with his feet than many people gave him credit for, too.  

I've always thought that too.

Really nice guy and the fans love him, rightly. Articulate, straight talking, funny.

dave marshall posted:

Last gasp saver for The Mighty Whites today, who remain top of The Championship ............ whew!

Always a sign of a club capable of achieving something when they are able to grind out results when not playing at their best. 

Christopher_M posted:

From the Beeb's online Scottish Premiership coverage:

Linn on song

FT: Arbroath 3-1 Forfar Athletic

Arguably the player of the day is Arbroath's Bobby Linn.

Bet he takes forever with his set-pieces, even if they are worth the effort. 

Kev,

Loving the West Ham win.They so needed that and listening to some on the radio they wanted it more.Also Pellagrinis 65th Birthday today so what better than 3 points.I think the season has turned a corner.From what I have heard on Talk sport they have played really well in all of their other matches but just unlucky.

Loving the city result with Fulham yesterday.Good to Leroy Sane back and scoring after 2 mins an easy goal I know but would have given him a confidence boost.Also loved the 2 old ladies 105 and 97 who have been long time City supporters walking out at the start with the squad.Nice pic Vinny with them.

Liverpool looked great with Spurs although so unlucky that they didn't get the penalty which the ref didn't see at 2-1.Spurs looked better when Song came on I thought.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/11E26/production/_103445237_kompany.jpghttps://e3.365dm.com/18/09/768x432/skysports-andriy-yarmolenko_4423278.jpg

Seeing that pic of Kompany, I hope you've caught up with that fly-on-the wall series on Amazon about Man City, Ian.  

Having seen it, Kompany has gone up in my estimation, both as a captain but perhaps more as down-to-earth guy. Without spoiling things, the final episode has him watching football on TV at his father-in-law's. Well, well worth a watch. You'll very much relate to it, Ian. 

Hi Mike,

Yes saw it all a couple of weekends ago as someone put it all on Youtube.It got taken down though but I made a point of watching it all.Thought it was a superb documentary.Little things I liked was the photography and seeing alot of the prem grounds.Also the amount of back room people involved with the club.Kit people,dieticians,sports scientists,tactical assistants for Pep.It also struck me was how everything was as good as it could be with regard the training pitches,gyms,restuarant's,changing rooms.....no gray areas at all.

Yeah thoroughly enjoyed it.Also as a neautral it tells a great story of a football club season.

Pleased for you and your Pompey....20 points....very nice   

Tabby cat posted:

Hi Mike,

Yes saw it all a couple of weekends ago as someone put it all on Youtube.It got taken down though but I made a point of watching it all.Thought it was a superb documentary.Little things I liked was the photography and seeing alot of the prem grounds.Also the amount of back room people involved with the club.Kit people,dieticians,sports scientists,tactical assistants for Pep.It also struck me was how everything was as good as it could be with regard the training pitches,gyms,restuarant's,changing rooms.....no gray areas at all.

Yeah thoroughly enjoyed it.Also as a neautral it tells a great story of a football club season.

Pleased for you and your Pompey....20 points....very nice   

That's good news, Ian.  As a neutral I enjoyed it. I imagine it was even better for a City fan.  Like Kevin-W, I thought the kit guy was a star, as were a few of the other backroom staff, like the laundry ladies comparing the underwear

I also found it interesting that the camera caught Pep fretting about the Liverpool forward line ahead of their Champions League first leg. Prescient. 

Can't imagine many club owners would have agreed to something like this.     

Mike

Saints somehow allowed Brighton back into it and it ended 2-2 last night, Saints having been two up after about an hour.

We can talk about resilience, character, game management, tactics, but something's wrong somewhere because we seem to failing to capitalise on winning positions.

I watched the team get off the bus when they arrived at the ground. Not many of them looked that relaxed, Hughes especially looking tense. But at least he wasn't gazing at the floor like so many of the players.

Next three games, Liverpool (A), Wolves (A), Cheslea (H). Eeeeek!

Hi Chris.  I could perhaps understand if a 2-goal lead at home was lost against one of the clubs vying for Champions League positions but it's hard to forgive when the opposition is likely to be happy to avoid relegation.  As you say, it hints as something not quite right with team spirit. As for Hughes, I think that's his default expression. I've always thought of him as something of  a miserable bu**er, even as a player, so I wouldn't read anything into that.  

Well done Liverpool in the Champions League this evening. Served up another thrilling game. Klopp's attacking play and faith in bringing on a forward after PSG had come back was properly rewarded. Pochettino's caution In Milan earlier was in stark contrast.      

Mike Hughes posted:

Emery is going to do a Klopp. Build slowly over a few seasons. 

I really hope because so this is a young manager with excellent credentials who because of his record breaking 3 year reign as Europa League champions with Sevilla was given the job at PSG specifically to win the Champions League and although he won the treble in France last year and won two trophies in his first year there he was let go because of his failure in the CL.

I'm beginning to hope that we may be at a turning point I was at the Emirates in March when we went 3 down to Man City after about twenty minutes four days after doing the same thing to the same team in a cup final and again like spoiled children they just capitulated. it was -8 degrees and because of the weather the normal 90 minute journey to North London had taken over three hours and I'd drunk a bit too much and along with maybe a thousand others walked out in disgust very, very angry we had to cue to be let out and I spoke to an old guy in his seventies who I had to take under my wing because he was just telling a steward to f*** off who was telling him to put his roll up out and he said to me

"I've been coming here since I was a small boy with my old man and I'll never set foot in this ground until that French c*** has gone"

I've taken stick for walking out even on this forum but It was a very, very, very low point we've been through some low points before lots of times but never had it felt like that.

I met my partner through this football club and bonded with her late father and her brother over this football club and have taken our nephew with me to watch this football club since he was nine he is now 25 and unless you really, really love football and really, really follow one team your whole life investing lots of money and time into that one team  you cannot imagine how that feels and also I've earned the right to walk out.

Arsene Wenger was a victim of his own success and he stayed too long but history will show that along with the Manchester United treble winning side he built one of the two best teams the premier league will ever know and they will be known as the best because those two teams were built not bought.

Anyway we now have some small hope and that we are moving forward no matter how slowly feels great. 

Bob - I completely get it.  Non-footie fans and those that regard it as just another form of entertainment just don't understand what emotions football can drive in those of us who are. The roller-coaster of heady highs and very deep lows are hard for others to fathom because we are otherwise quite normal with other things in life.  But even when we feel very low and fed-up with our club we always go back. And it doesn't take a great deal to re-ignite our (in some cases, hopeless) optimism: a new manager, a new signing, even a decent result.  So I empathise, though would respectively suggest that as a Gooner you've had it pretty good over the 25 years you've been following them, as compared to some of us.

As you saying goes, you can change your partner, your job, your house, your religion, even your gender but you never, ever change your football club!   

Yes Ian, Yarmy missed the sitter to end all sitters. If Arnie had been fit we'd have gone away with three points. Still, if you'd have told any Hammers fan two weeks ago that we'd get four points from Oligarchs XI and the Toffees (our bogey team), they'd had bitten your hand off!

Bring on Moaning Maureen's Mingining Mancs!

Kevin-W posted:
Wugged Woy posted:

It's soooo frustrating being a Spud. 

Don't look to me for sympathy!

Well done for holding those rather unpleasant types to a draw 

I will withhold any bitchy comments about your owners and your stolen sahara desert ground……...

Well, maybe for a few days.

P.S. Yes, I can hear you now…… Kevin :  "At least we've got a bl@@&y stadium!". 

And you'd be right !!

Add Reply

Likes (3)
PcdTabby catMDS