Football season 2018/19

MDS posted:

Tremendous result for Utd away at Juve tonight. Not remotely deserved on the balance of play over the full 90 mins but credit Mourinho for his decisive substitutions.  United's winner definitely due to the Arsenal-reject keeper.  

I think Mourinho’s luck continues to change for the better..... totally undeserving.....

but Juventus missed a hatful of chances to finish the game off.... they paid the price 

Having ground out yet another away win at Scunthorpe yesterday, I'm very much liking the look of the League One table today.  Unbelievably 4 points clear at the top from Sunderland in second (whose parachute payment this season is about ten times the size of Pompey's squad wage bill) and six points clear of the play-off places.  Jackett seems to have got the team well-organised and, perhaps most importantly, full of confidence - going behind doesn't faze them, nor needing to withstand a spell of pressure to hang onto the points.  I keep expecting form to fall away but here we are now seriously contemplating the possibility of being in the promotion positions at Xmas, which as all footie fans will know is a good sign!!  Happy days.      

Kevin-W posted:

I suspect Ian will be chuffed with yesterday's result, although I'm not. Rubbish - most of the team went missing, Arnie and Anderson especially. Only Zab and Rice emerge from that one with any credit!

The pundits on BT sport were bemoaning Pellegrini's insistence on zonal marking, giving too many chances to a City side full of pace and slick passing. They said he used the same system while in charge at City and it didn't work too well there either. 

Kevin-W posted:

Yes Mike - City didn't really have to get out of first gear. Pellegrini got his tactics completely wrong on this one.

No shame losing to the awesome City, Kev.  It will be the next four games that define your season: Newcastle, Cardiff, Palace and Fulham.  Play to potential and it could be a comfortable coast in mid-table or.......   

Mike well pleased for Pompey.

As you say they are grinding the results out consistently home and away.Can see them joining The Saints in the Championship next season ( Sorry Chris just being realistic )

Kev obviously well pleased with the City domination at yours.Sane looked clinical and so composed.City a joy going forward.But as you know I am a big West Ham liker so won't go on ......you understand,

Says a lot about United these day when they can't even beat Palace at their Theater of Dreams....ha ha !

https://res.cloudinary.com/jpress/image/fetch/w_700,f_auto,ar_3:2,q_auto:low,c_fill/if_h_lte_200,c_mfit,h_201/https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/webimage/1.8717416.1543084611!/image/image.jpg

https://storify.com/services/proxy/2/7pg9UXfmrRpLKXa_aZxC1A/https/d2kmm3vx031a1h.cloudfront.net/NKfrabbVSy2Lb4Y6HF3G_GettyImages-1064734820.jpg

Last night I watched the most bonkers game I’ve ever seen:

Villa 0-1 Forest

0-2

1-2

2-2

2-3

3-3

Villa miss a sitter, Half Time. Phew.

3-4

Forest have a man sent off

4-4

5-4

5-5

Incredibly exciting even if disappointing to drop 2 points. One thing life is after dull old Bruce who left our defence in tatters, and that’s exciting. 

Kev,

Nice 3 points at Newcastle.Well pleased with them picking them selves up after City.With Newcastle's form I was expecting a draw at best.

City's win with Bournemouth wasn't straight forward as City where giving them to much time on the ball but Stirling got them back in the 2nd half and Gundogan wrapped it up at 3 - 1.Still unbeaten at home in 8 games.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/0A89/production/_104579620_hernandez_reuters.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/11041/production/_104579696_sterling_pa.jpg

Christopher_M posted:

Saints 2, Man U 2. Professionally the best game I've done this season. Team-wise, I thought it a more than decent performance but a draw is simply not enough given the state we are in. Especially when one considers that we 2-0 up after twenty odd minutes.

I watched the game on BT Sport, Chris.  I thought your lot played well against a stuttering Man U.  Of course, it's always disappointing to give away a two-goal lead, and at the point in the game I though United were more likely to go on to win, but I suspect Hughes and most Saints fans would have taken a point if offered it before the game.   

Watched Arsenal (my son's team) on the box today for the first time since Wenger left. They certainly played with more elan and passion. Not the finished article yet and as I watched I couldn't help think how well Alexis Sanchez would fit into the new Arsenal. Great local derby btw.

Ray

MDS posted:

BBC reporting that Southampton have sacked Mark Hughes. I suppose it was coming. I wonder who they will go for next.

"BBC Sport understands Southampton are set to approach former RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl about the manager's job. "

Gavin B posted:
MDS posted:

BBC reporting that Southampton have sacked Mark Hughes. I suppose it was coming. I wonder who they will go for next.

"BBC Sport understands Southampton are set to approach former RB Leipzig manager Ralph Hasenhuttl about the manager's job. "

Never heard of him.  I would have thought Saints need a manager who knows what it takes to get through a relegation fight in the Premier League. Before Xmas they have two very big games: away to Cardiff and Huddersfield. Lose those and the nerves will really start jangling.  

Mike Hughes posted:

The likely only Welsh derby of this season takes place at 8pm on Saturday in the FA Cup. Two good attacking teams. Two good young managers. A free hit for both clubs but especially mine.

So, Leicester at home is the incentive and in the meantime the managerial shenanigans have been quite a shock. Ricketts behaviour has been extraordinary.

I think tomorrow night's Man United v Arsenal could be a great match for the neutral's Arsenal are on a high and seem to have a self belief lacking in recent seasons and a wounded Man U at home against their old adversary could be very, very dangerous.  I always look forward to playing Man U even though they have had the better of us recently, Alexis Sanchez aside (who should just come home by the way) whatever though should be a great match.

Add Reply

Likes (3)
PcdTabby catMDS