From the listening chair, 2015

Originally Posted by bluedog:

"anymore than the rhythmic pulsing of an internal combustion engine is musical!"

It depends a lot on the internal combustion engine to which one is listening

John Deere hit and miss engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5OII6h504

Or Bach Prelude Number One from the Forty Eight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMVkQ70I88

Okay the John Deere has a primitive techno aspect to it, but one is music and the other is simply a joyful sound if you like old internal combustion engines [which I do!]. 

ATB from George

Originally Posted by james n:
Originally Posted by HTM_1968:
Originally Posted by Hungryhalibut:
Originally Posted by HTM_1968:

Love the Art's. What are you driving them with. IIRC you had a big Naim system ?

I have been using a Gato amplifier and a SimAudio Moon Streamer and DAC. The amplifier is likely to change again in the near future, but speakers are going nowhere,

Originally Posted by Polarbear:
Originally Posted by J.N.:

Nice ART's HTM. Active?

You need to update your forum profile.

John.

They look like Alnico 8's John, not really made for going active.

Very nice speakers 

They are Anico 8s in Walnut. They have been driven passively as they are not designed for active use. Moreover, I simply became fed up with having a 10 box system on two stacks of FRAIM. The Dunlop brothers went to some trouble over the passive crossovers in these speakers. I have been using a Gato DIA 250 to dive them with but am going to play about with tube amplification for fun in the near future.

Well someone mentioned Christmas, so I had to break my Grinch socks for this "Kodak moment."

To bad my Naim sign doesn't show better in the photo...

And if Massimo is reading this, that book on the table is in preparation per un possibile viaggio nel mese di dicembre...I am waiting to hear if Marina can get off work...so I hope...

Originally Posted by Wishyouwherehere:

Just a lazy afternoons vinyl session, with lovely vintage Royds.   

Wonderful speakers! I used to have a pair of those, now with another member of the Forum, who has not posted for years!

Great so see a pair in such nice surroundings too!

Best wishes from George

Originally Posted by Wishyouwherehere:

Just a lazy afternoons vinyl session, with lovely vintage Royds.   

Golly, those Royds are tiny. It all looks wonderfully cosy. I'd love to have a chimney breast rather than just a fireplace on a flat wall. When we had a Victorian house we had a great fireplace - but of of course it's hard to have wall hugging speakers if you have alcoves. 

Thanks for the comments, it really is a lovely fireplace. Always buy houses on the strength of where my HiFi will look and sound good. They really are stunning sounding speakers, but agree they do look tiny. my girlfriend although agreeing that they do sound better, preferred the Ikon 1's that the Royds replaced, something about size (which is good as she's happy for me to have bigger speakers) Didn't pay a great deal for them and I think they look and sound lovely from a modest UQ/XLP/XPSU/Rega RP6 setup.       

P1070461 <script charset="utf-8" src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

The plants behind the speakers are my successful attempt at room treatment.  The  reflected sound off the fireplace is diffused and the acoustic image is deeper and more revealing of note decay and spatial cues.  Very nice as I sit, absorbed in the Grateful Dead.  I had previously tried three bed pillow, hanging from the mantel - the plans look and sound better.  Without the diffusion, the image is folded at the fireplace which sounds a little bit like noise background. 

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this...

Charlie

Originally Posted by CharlieP:

P1070461 <script charset="utf-8" src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

The plants behind the speakers are my successful attempt at room treatment.  The  reflected sound off the fireplace is diffused and the acoustic image is deeper and more revealing of note decay and spatial cues.  Very nice as I sit, absorbed in the Grateful Dead.  I had previously tried three bed pillow, hanging from the mantel - the plans look and sound better.  Without the diffusion, the image is folded at the fireplace which sounds a little bit like noise background. 

Maybe I'll start a new thread on this...

Charlie

Ah! A man of good taste in slippers, Charlie.

A very pleasant looking listening room, too.   

Richard,

How do i post a photo while avoiding the html artifact in my above post?

Charlie

Hi Charlie

The way I do it is to post the picture on the forum. Then using the edit post logo on the bottom right, I think it's 4 th from the left, you put the cursor on the artefact and backspace it till it's all gone.

maybe there is a simpler way.

atb

Richard,

How do i post a photo while avoiding the html artifact in my above post?

Charlie

Load your photo onto photobucket and make a copy of the direct link. Insert the direct link in the place for photos in the format of posts for this forum, ensure you insects the size to be maximum 650 wide....

Charlie, listening to the Grateful Dead - I appreciated seeing that little fact as I know you know that I would. Your wonderful wife must have been out of the house at the time...  

Now if there is any need for more Grateful Dead either at your place or mine just give a shout and I can make it happen quite easily.

I just dropped my 82 off for the phono boards and looking forward to getting it back and getting back to my turntable.

Gary

Thankfully in the US we have vigilant moral majority-type groups with little better to do than protect the public from such audacities. Ergo, we get album covers like this. At least our children are protected in their bedrooms, perhaps less so in their schools.

That said, the feet in engjoo's pic look as photoshopped as the black tape on blond hottie's ass.

No, it is a painting above the fireplace. Or a print, I suppose. Wasn't expensive at all, but adds a nice splash of colour in an otherwise neutral room (at least to my untrained artistic eye)

TV is on the right-hand side or the right channel speaker, out of shot.

Graeme.

Likes (0)