Is this forum becoming tired?

DaveBk & HH,  both your posts part summed it up for me.  I too miss peeps like George & his various aliases & the other folks mentioned & more.    I continue to enjoy a lot of the forum chat & banter,  but I do wonder how many times people ask the same old same old questions (where oh where is the search button)  & why people have to make their LAN's so complicated or on the other hand so substandard  .........   

My forum joining date was followed a year later by retirement & in retrospect I have to admit the forum's technical side became a sort of  withdrawal fix / work substitute (sad).  My Naim learning curve & the initial enthusiasm,  periodically reignited by my own & friends system changes & learning new & more about LAN & 'tinternet stuff,  it was all very stimulating.  But now with the new platform stuff arriving I'm feeling left behind & I've come to an impasse; why ?  I (we) have made the decision not to change/upgrade anything until we've made a house move,  that will be maybe next year, maybe longer.    So I guess at least for the time being I too have become part of the bored.    

Hungryhalibut posted:

I’m being deliberately really boring these days, and trying to minimise my postings to those things I have direct experience of. When I tried things that were more ‘fun’, it resulted in rather nasty personal attacks that I found rather upsetting. So boring it is. 

One deliberately boring person cannot make an entire forum tired or boring no matter how boring that person deliberately tries to be it would have to be a group effort so no need for the confession.  And I very much doubt that any genuine real attempt at 'fun' would result in any nasty personal attacks on this forum but if I'm wrong then that isn't very nice or acceptable but no doubt with moderation being as fair as it is on this forum then those nasty personal attackers were held to account.

Bob the Builder posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I’m being deliberately really boring these days, and trying to minimise my postings to those things I have direct experience of. When I tried things that were more ‘fun’, it resulted in rather nasty personal attacks that I found rather upsetting. So boring it is. 

One deliberately boring person cannot make an entire forum tired or boring no matter how boring that person deliberately tries to be it would have to be a group effort so no need for the confession.  And I very much doubt that any genuine real attempt at 'fun' would result in any nasty personal attacks on this forum but if I'm wrong then that isn't very nice or acceptable but no doubt with moderation being as fair as it is on this forum then those nasty personal attackers were held to account.

The place would be less boring if members stood their ground and didn't run so often to the moderator to whine about personal attacks, causing topics to be closed and non UK members leave with a feeling that there are some untouchable princes among us.

Haim Ronen posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

The place would be less boring if members stood their ground and didn't run so often to the moderator to whine about personal attacks, causing topics to be closed and non UK members leave with a feeling that there are some untouchable princes among us.

Totally agree Haim my reference to the moderators was for those who feel they have been personally attacked and for whatever reason feel unable to stand their ground . I would also add that any intervention by moderators should be posted on the forum as transparency is the best policy IMO and that way we can all learn from any over stepping of forum boundaries andit might deter people if they are running to the moderators to 'tell teacher' from doing so.

In a couple of days I will have been here a year. Love the "WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO AND WHY MIGHT ANYONE BE INTERESTED?" thread! It is worth the price of admission alone for all the new music I have been exposed to. I never get bored reading about what others are playing and if interested then taking it out for a spin on TIDAL.

During the first few months I really appreciated the advise I received from members who responded to my newbie questions. Yes, I did learn to use the search function and did read through a lot of old threads and did gather some knowledge but direct interaction with members when you first get here worked best for me to get up and running.

At my age I don't see myself going through a lot of upgrades or experimenting with different configurations. My goal was to put together a nice little kit to enjoy in my retirement years (hope to get there in the near future) and feel that I can manage quite well with what I currently have. (the disclaimer of course, is I could change my mind) I still enjoy reading about what others are planing for the future and their reasoning behind the decisions as well as the reports from the different shows.

I mostly stay away from the political threads, or will make a single comment and then move on. Works for me and my sanity.

Like all social web sites there are a few who contribute quite a lot and the information is well received and appreciated.  Then there are a few who contribute a lot and it just doesn't work for the readers. Perhaps I am one of them since I mostly hang out in the "WAYLTAWMABI?" thread, "Song Track of the Day," Nice Photo" and What CD have you Just Purchased" threads.

All I know is I am new to NAIM, fairly new to the forum and do not think the place is tired. 

JMHO & YMMV

Bob the Builder posted:
Haim Ronen posted:

Totally agree Haim my reference to the moderators was for those who feel they have been personally attacked and for whatever reason feel unable to stand their ground . I would also add that any intervention by moderators should be posted on the forum as transparency is the best policy IMO and that way we can all learn from any over stepping of forum boundaries andit might deter people if they are running to the moderators to 'tell teacher' from doing so. 

Nice posts Haim and Bob.

A curious aspect of this thread with regard to moderation is that there was previously a policy that disallowed mention of former members. Apparently that policy is no longer in place.

As for the whiners that flag posts, used to be those threads were edited and continued. Too often now threads simply vanish with no explanation. The whiners win, the princes prevail, and there is less on the forum.

Funny as it may sound, I've often felt that statements made here with a "British accent" are better accepted than those with the American (perhaps more direct) vernacular.

Joerand: mention of former members in passing is usually fine - it's a judgement call.  A more involved discussion of former members is not, as they are not here to respond.

Bob, where I have to moderate a post, I usually comment at the bottom as to what and why I have edited. If I have to remove a post entirely then it's usually quite obvious to the poster (e.g. they have posted something entirely offensive, or offering something for sale) and if I feel the need to do so, I post that I have pruned a thread accordingly. Beyond that, any further action taken is between moderators and the member in question.

Bob the Builder posted:

I'm really pleased that so many of us are protective of and find so much to be positive about on this forum I for one could learn something about being more positive from this thread and about the good things this forum has to offer, so thank you for that.

That's what gownups (should) do. Diversity is under permanent pressure and its more than worth to fight for. Not only on this forum but on this whole planet.

Change has always come from minds who don't think alike.

French Rooster posted:
joerand posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I’m being deliberately really boring these days

To your credit I must say I hadn't noticed any difference.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Excellent! It must come naturally then. 

it can mean also that the person was already boring....

Or that Joe is not really having sensitive qualities ... :-)

And we risk the wrath of HH by leaving the quotes there.

French Rooster posted:
joerand posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Hungryhalibut posted:

HH boring ??? you must be joking !!

Just type "golden pension" or "public authority pension" into the "search" function, with either HH's name or my name and you'll soon discover the real HH........... boring ?     don't make me laugh !

And a little while ago, I was sat next to HH (along with a couple of others) listening to a demonstration of Naim equipment (it doesn't matter what), but the starting point was a system that wouldn't give change out of £50k (and it then moved upwards). Now my impression (I didn't speak) of the start-off system was....... "nice !" (and the final system was "bloody incredulous"). HH, (who as I said was sat next me) made a clear, forceful rhetorical question in response to hearing the start-off system, along the lines of"God, that's dreadful ! is it supposed to sound like that !!"

Does this align with a man who isboring ?

No way !

French Rooster posted:
joerand posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Hungryhalibut posted:

Durr, that’s what I meant. It doesn’t need pointing out, surely. 

Don - your post resonates around my visit to a very respected dealer many years ago (now closed AFAIK) who had various Naim systems set-up in different rooms. When I heard the entry level system I was shocked - it sounded thin, sans bass (think MW radio in quality) compared to the, at the time, newer 552/500 set-up. I didn't recollect my (humble!) CD3.5/Flatcap/72/140 sounding that way...or did it?!

Back on point, the Forum is what you make of it and, I, like I suspect many others, read far more than I post. If I don't like a thread/it doesn't interest me I don't bother with it. End of.  

This place is a paragon of virtue compared to some, and long may it remain so. From my vista, much credit must go to Richard, as it's not a job I would want - especially when some of the fruitier exchanges span so many pages and have to be 'called to order'. 

p.s. having met HH several years ago, you omitted to mention he likes the Smiths...I think that's a definite case of YMMV 

I have seen this post passing by now a couple of times. And it always follows the same patterns. But let me reflect on it as well besides the starting remarks that we are in general a group of nerdy introvert type of people, so things can become a bit tiring and boring at times unless we get challenged on our core beliefs. Serious reflection though:

1. It’s a great source of finding new music, or getting pulled into new direction. Yeah I would love to see back those longer post of people who really have a hand of properly describing a classical album, this happens too less. But at the same time I am like many others also often too lazy to describe my own listening experiences. So it’s just a desire when fulfilled great, when not still ok as I am triggered to look at new music.

2. A great source of information when you are new to the Naim world and want an opinion about the next steps in your journey or just need advise how to make things work or even working better. In the beginning I was really fond of these posts.

3. A great source of opinion when new things come out. And sharing of opinions about listening experiences and differences between the  products on offer. I am very much liking the current discussions about the new streamers and look very much forward to the listening experiences when people get hold of the devices, including sharing my own expererience.

4. A great source of compassion when desired and wanted. I have seen quite often how people react in a warm manner when forum members are challenged in live.

5. It’s also a forum which has a certain openness to other products which are sometimes competing with Naim products. While sometimes the Hugo community is quite dominant.

6. It’s a great source for typical audiophile humor. And insiders jokes. Devices sounding broken, etc...

Of course also some things could improve:

7. People could also contribute a bit more. And not only consume what others produce. Every bodies opinion is useful and helps to get a broad picture. Specifically show experiences, musical experiences etc could be shared more.

8. More discussion would help. Very often the key opinions are only represented by a few individuals. It would help if all are stronger opiniated and don’t follow. It would give a richer view of things.

9. I would appreciate if more people share and discuss about musical experiences. As the forum is one of the important sources for exposure to new music, it can never be enough.

Happy Listener posted:

Don - your post resonates around my visit to a very respected dealer many years ago (now closed AFAIK) who had various Naim systems set-up in different rooms. When I heard the entry level system I was shocked - it sounded thin, sans bass (think MW radio in quality) compared to the, at the time, newer 552/500 set-up. I didn't recollect my (humble!) CD3.5/Flatcap/72/140 sounding that way...or did it?!

Back on point, the Forum is what you make of it and, I, like I suspect many others, read far more than I post. If I don't like a thread/it doesn't interest me I don't bother with it. End of.  

This place is a paragon of virtue compared to some, and long may it remain so. From my vista, much credit must go to Richard, as it's not a job I would want - especially when some of the fruitier exchanges span so many pages and have to be 'called to order'. 

p.s. having met HH several years ago, you omitted to mention he likes the Smiths...I think that's a definite case of YMMV 

ah yes ! HH mentioned the Smiths.............as you (politely) say, YMMV

The affair of the removed thread was a little disturbing for me, I admit it. But then I had an open and extremely honest and clarifying exchange of emails with a moderator, and decided that I had recently had more personal issues with one forum member outside the forum rather than here; that there were at least two or three members that I would have considered unforgivable to displease or disappoint leaving; and that something is always learned, anywhere, especially in circumstances you'd instinctively refuse or avoid.

Having noticed that those few members I really like were staying without taking it too much seriously, and living happily with what the forum has to offer and, most of all, were here with clear name and face, I decided to do the same. So here I am, with my name and face – and nationality, even though I think that the few interaction-related dramas not generated by religion or soccer are usually due to national stereotypes, which I hate.

It took me eleven years to reach the status where no more every other answer to a post of mine contains references to pasta, so why should I go now?

Best to all,

M.

Massimo Bertola posted:

The affair of the removed thread was a little disturbing for me, I admit it. But then I had an open and extremely honest and clarifying exchange of emails with a moderator, and decided that I had recently had more personal issues with one forum member outside the forum rather than here; that there were at least two or three members that I would have considered unforgivable to displease or disappoint leaving; and that something is always learned, anywhere, especially in circumstances you'd instinctively refuse or avoid.

Having noticed that those few members I really like were staying without taking it too much seriously, and living happily with what the forum has to offer and, most of all, were here with clear name and face, I decided to do the same. So here I am, with my name and face – and nationality, even though I think that the few interaction-related dramas not generated by religion or soccer are usually due to national stereotypes, which I hate.

It took me eleven years to reach the status where no more every other answer to a post of mine contains references to pasta, so why should I go now?

Best to all,

M.

...and I for one am glad you decided to stay, Massimo.  One of characteristics of the forum I particularly like is the richness of nationalities that contribute.  

Mike

Massimo Bertola posted:

Best to all,

M.

I'm currently serving my 17th year here on the forum. I fear it is for life: shackled here for a punishment I do not deserve. Here amongst great minds. I feel privileged to be in good company.

Hungryhalibut posted:
French Rooster posted:
joerand posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Hungryhalibut posted:

Durr, that’s what I meant. It doesn’t need pointing out, surely. 

oh my God, you became boring now....

I take it all back it really is becoming tired.  Einstein,  Hawking,  Orwell, J. S Bach and Miles Davis had great minds men who populate a forum concerned with the minute details of a singular brand of hifi can hardly be described as having great minds though can they?                                                                                                                                                                                     

Bob the Builder posted:

I take it all back it really is becoming tired.  Einstein,  Hawking,  Orwell, J. S Bach and Miles Davis had great minds men who populate a forum concerned with the minute details of a singular brand of hifi can hardly be described as having great minds though can they?                                                                                                                                                                                     

I'm rather dim compared to some members here. It's all relative. I suppose most of us Remainers are rather dim for your standards?

Chaps

I used to be a fairly consistent contributor here when the forum was first formed many years ago.  Naim was the first ever Hifi forum and as such it had novelty value and the subjects got fairly heated.  Some of the then current members would almost go to war over a sheet of toilet paper on the infamous Friday afternoons.

If you fast forward up to today, the forum is much better managed and is all the better for it.  Nearly every forum in the world suffers from the non stop whinging over Brexit and the sad thing is that 99% of what is said on both sides would insult the intelligence of a 12 year old, but free speech is free speech and you got to let it continue and just accept that the same old crowd will still be whinging about it in thirty years from now.

As regards to the forum becoming tired, that is simply not true, all that is happening is that people come in and start to contribute more when they find their feet. Then after a period of time, they have heard it all before and slowly move on to something else. That happens on all forums.  It is purely evolution.

I lurk here most days but haven't contributed for years because after many years of high volume, I felt that I was becoming boring to other contributors so I stopped posting.

One person who did liven the place up was Berlin Fritz, who although being a total fruitcake, was actually quite perceptive.  I was quite sad when he was given his marching orders.

I only lurk because I still find it an interesting place to see a good variety of views well presented on most subject.

Naim is still the best Hifi forum and long may it continue.

Regards

Mick

Likes (0)