Is this forum becoming tired?

Someone said here that a typical Naimee would love music first, their system second and the forum a poor third, or words to that effect.

Like so many when I first came on here I almost solely hung around the Hi-Fi Corner and then bravely branched out to Streaming Audio when I bought a Uniti2, desperate to become more informed about system set-up, best VFM upgrades and what the hell a LAN was.

I am now far more at ease with my system and spend far more time in the Music Room, in particular the WAYLTAWMABI thread.

I must admit the thrill of discovering a wonderful new artist or album far surpasses that from learning about the latest new gizmo or tweak.

So maybe I have adjusted my balance and am more of a Naimee, loving the music first and my system second.

Still love this place though.

Don Atkinson posted:
French Rooster posted:
joerand posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

I’m being deliberately really boring these days

To your credit I must say I hadn't noticed any difference.

Hungryhalibut posted:

Excellent! It must come naturally then. 

it can mean also that the person was already boring....

HH boring ??? you must be joking !!

Just type "golden pension" or "public authority pension" into the "search" function, with either HH's name or my name and you'll soon discover the real HH........... boring ?     don't make me laugh !

And a little while ago, I was sat next to HH (along with a couple of others) listening to a demonstration of Naim equipment (it doesn't matter what), but the starting point was a system that wouldn't give change out of £50k (and it then moved upwards). Now my impression (I didn't speak) of the start-off system was....... "nice !" (and the final system was "bloody incredulous"). HH, (who as I said was sat next me) made a clear, forceful rhetorical question in response to hearing the start-off system, along the lines of"God, that's dreadful ! is it supposed to sound like that !!"

Does this align with a man who isboring ?

No way !

i have never said HH was boring.  I was just trying, by joking, to translate a response that was given.... » to my credit i must say i hadn’t noticed any difference « :  it can have 2 opposite meanings.

I have just had to update my profile before I could access the Forum. I presume this was in connection with the upcomming new Data Protection Racket,

After re-reading my profile, all I had to do was tick a box to agree to the "Terms & Conditions" - life's too short to get my solicitor to read them for me and advise whether to sign or not, so I just "ticked" the box. And here I am, back on the Forum !!!

For anybody who thinks the Forum is boring, here's your perfect get-out..........don't tick the box

Welcome back Don!  It's all down to GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) which comes into force at the end of this week.

There's a sticky thread on this, here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...e-update-please-read

If members revoke the forum terms of service, then their account is suspended, although not entirely removed, until such time as they either agree to the ToS or request that their account is removed entirely. 

But I somehow doubt you’ll hear from those holding your data that they got through dubiois means and intend either to use for nefarous purposes, or to sell to others for the same.

Just as money laundering regs make it a PITA trying to open a bank account or buy so ething expensive etc, but the real crooks will have the necessary fake IDs etc.

james n posted:
Gazza posted:

Yes, I seem to get at least 2 emails per day on this

It's been great though for removing yourself from all those annoying lists without needing to do anything (apart from ignore emails)...

It is also good for the suppliers as they are now forced to refresh their mailing lists which will hopefully stop (or lessen) irrelevant or unwanted marketing e-mails being sent out to the likes of you and me.

No doubt we will all still magically appear on new mailing lists and the circus continues.

Mick P posted:

Chaps

I used to be a fairly consistent contributor here when the forum was first formed many years ago.  Naim was the first ever Hifi forum and as such it had novelty value and the subjects got fairly heated.  Some of the then current members would almost go to war over a sheet of toilet paper on the infamous Friday afternoons.

If you fast forward up to today, the forum is much better managed and is all the better for it.  Nearly every forum in the world suffers from the non stop whinging over Brexit and the sad thing is that 99% of what is said on both sides would insult the intelligence of a 12 year old, but free speech is free speech and you got to let it continue and just accept that the same old crowd will still be whinging about it in thirty years from now.

As regards to the forum becoming tired, that is simply not true, all that is happening is that people come in and start to contribute more when they find their feet. Then after a period of time, they have heard it all before and slowly move on to something else. That happens on all forums.  It is purely evolution.

I lurk here most days but haven't contributed for years because after many years of high volume, I felt that I was becoming boring to other contributors so I stopped posting.

One person who did liven the place up was Berlin Fritz, who although being a total fruitcake, was actually quite perceptive.  I was quite sad when he was given his marching orders.

I only lurk because I still find it an interesting place to see a good variety of views well presented on most subject.

Naim is still the best Hifi forum and long may it continue.

Regards

Mick

Nice to see you again, Mick. Agree 100% with your post. You should contribute more often.

Richard Dane posted:

Welcome back Don!  It's all down to GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) which comes into force at the end of this week.

There's a sticky thread on this, here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...e-update-please-read

If members revoke the forum terms of service, then their account is suspended, although not entirely removed, until such time as they either agree to the ToS or request that their account is removed entirely. 

Yes, it's great to be back, thank you Richard

It's also good to see Mick P back in writing rather than lurking, even if he did have a side-swipe at the "are we sleepwalking...." thread. (i know he likes these emogins or whatever they are called)

After the surprise log-in procedure this morning, I had a quick look around and can report that window-washing, obituaries, and Graemlins are all in good order.  But I am concerned General Data Protection Regulation v.2, compared to v.1, has affected my listening enjoyment.  Is it possible to downgrade to v.1 ?

Jeff Anderson posted:

After the surprise log-in procedure this morning, I had a quick look around and can report that window-washing, obituaries, and Graemlins are all in good order.  But I am concerned General Data Protection Regulation v.2, compared to v.1, has affected my listening enjoyment.  Is it possible to downgrade to v.1 ?

can you explain please ?     or is it a joke ?     i feel the later, but maybe.....

Jeff Anderson posted:

Try a factory reset, if not unplug and switch back on, never fails😎

i must confess that i mostly enjoy this forum, even if it is not always easy for me with this non native language.

People are mostly kind, subjects are not always the same ( like computer audiophile for example), the music section is interesting also.  It is also a technical support when a problem or question can arise.  People want to help each other, to find a solution for each individual problem.

The only tiring aspect:  some members are convinced themselves as being more clever, or spiritual, or are often showing their technical knowledge even it is not an absolute necessity.  A sort of snobbery regularly coming back.   It is not the case in all audio forums.  Sorry to say, but hopefully it concerns a minority.

French Rooster posted:

i must confess that i mostly enjoy this forum, even if it is not always easy for me with this non native language.

People are mostly kind, subjects are not always the same ( like computer audiophile for example), the music section is interesting also.  It is also a technical support when a problem or question can arise.  People want to help each other, to find a solution for each individual problem.

The only tiring aspect:  some members are convinced themselves as being more clever, or spiritual, or are often showing their technical knowledge even it is not an absolute necessity.  A sort of snobbery regularly coming back.   It is not the case in all audio forums.  Sorry to say, but hopefully it concerns a minority.

Don't worry. You have the right spirit. The pompousness of others is their own problem they are stuck with.

Jeff Anderson posted:

What kit did you use to download v2 and how long was the download cable? That could be your problem.

French Rooster posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

or is it a joke ?     i feel the later, but maybe.....

You are doing fine, it was my obscure attempt at humor, mostly based on posts made many years ago.  Few here now would know what I was referring to, it was a follow-on to Don's comment.

Unfortunately, you have been treated aggressively here by some people who have no sense of humor. Enjoy yourself, you are as welcome here as anyone.  Sorry if my post caused confusion.

Jeff Anderson posted:
French Rooster posted:
Jeff Anderson posted:

or is it a joke ?     i feel the later, but maybe.....

You are doing fine, it was my obscure attempt at humor, mostly based on posts made many years ago.  Few here now would know what I was referring to, it was a follow-on to Don's comment.

Unfortunately, you have been treated aggressively here by some people who have no sense of humor. Enjoy yourself, you are as welcome here as anyone.  Sorry if my post caused confusion.

Thanks for your support, it is welcome.     As for your humor, i thought it was referring to the 4.6 vs 4.4 recent thread, some members preferring to downgrade to 4.4.

I think some people were aggressive towards me because they thought i were aggressive towards a well established member, but i was not,  it was humor just.

French Rooster posted:

Thanks for your support, it is welcome.     As for your humor, i thought it was referring to the 4.6 vs 4.4 recent thread, some members preferring to downgrade to 4.4.

As further response to this point, it was my "tongue-in-cheek" (American for poking fun at) response to the thread (and similar ones) you refer to.  Not that I don't understand how frustrating situations like that can be, but we are talking hi-fi, not world affairs of life and death nor individual entitlement to "take care of me" or I will berate your company forever.  My attempt at humor failed and/or was open to misunderstanding,  I will try to learn from that moving forward. regards, Jeff A

French Rooster posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Better boring than dim.

Classy.

i am lost,don’ understand what means really dim....  was i supposed to be dim in HH response...?

Let's hope it was all a case of 'lost in translation' and for my part FRENCH ROOSTER I was in no way having a go at you in fact it was the complete opposite.

Your explanation that you are sometimes having difficulty with our language does makes sense but don't worry I cannot imagine the mistakes I would make posting on a French  forum.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Bob the Builder posted:
French Rooster posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
Hungryhalibut posted:

Better boring than dim.

Classy.

i am lost,don’ understand what means really dim....  was i supposed to be dim in HH response...?

Let's hope it was all a case of 'lost in translation' and for my part FRENCH ROOSTER I was in no way having a go at you in fact it was the complete opposite.

Your explanation that you are sometimes having difficulty with our language does makes sense but don't worry I cannot imagine the mistakes I would make posting on a French  forum.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Bob no worries, wep probably cannot even create an account.

Let’s all have a big hug - I won’t suggest a French kiss - and move on.

We are off to Paris next week for a few days. A wonderful city in a wonderful country. But don’t worry, I’m not going to be saying anything about it, other than that we have tickets for two concerts, which we are really looking forward to. 

Jeff Anderson posted:
French Rooster posted:

As further response to this point, it was my "tongue-in-cheek" (American for poking fun at) response to the thread (and similar ones) you refer to.  Not that I don't understand how frustrating situations like that can be, but we are talking hi-fi, not world affairs of life and death nor individual entitlement to "take care of me" or I will berate your company forever.  My attempt at humor failed and/or was open to misunderstanding,  I will try to learn from that moving forward. regards, Jeff A

i don’t think your attempt at humor failed, the contrary.   I think i understand your humor and responded by «  factory reset perhaps not done ».   Humor can be done on all subjects i think, even some dramatic historical subject.  It is a sort of relativism, distanciation, quite a necessity to go further....

Hungryhalibut posted:

Let’s all have a big hug - I won’t suggest a French kiss - and move on.

We are off to Paris next week for a few days. A wonderful city in a wonderful country. But don’t worry, I’m not going to be saying anything about it, other than that we have tickets for two concerts, which we are really looking forward to. 

i hope you will have a nice stay in Paris.  the weather will be hot too.  As for the past discussion, i just want to say that i never said you were boring, i was just translating a  response by joking.    As you said, let’s move on!

joerand posted:

Circling back to the OP (Is this forum becoming tired?) maybe it's not the forum that's becoming tired, rather some forum contributors?

In which case we might replace the word tired  in the OP with boring or simply redundant.

Or, does the OP really mean is the forum becoming boring, or unexciting  - which would mean are the members not contributing enough or interestingly enough...

Perhaps a question of formulaic responses as opposed to genuinely objective. We do tend to get strict Naim users defending their gear choices as if no other manufaturer can do PRaT. Some without ever having ventured outside. "Preserve the Naim sound", etc.

Add Reply

Likes (0)