Jazz Corner

While watching the game, I also listened to ‘The SideWinder’ and ‘The Gigolo’. Both of these albums are in a quintet setting, whereas ‘Search for the new land’ is in a sextet setting. I prefer the quintet setting with Lee Morgan. Although I am also a fan of Grant Green, I feel that his guitar doesn’t ‘integrate’ that good. I don’t know why. But, it’s still a good album which I enjoy listening to.

This thread is becoming expensive !?

I am pretty sure I saw Kenny Garrett with Miles Davis in Hammersmith circa 1990?

I have ordered that CD + Ugetsu + Cornbread + Search for the New Land + a few others which appeal to me

I do like Lee Morgan's playing - there was a TV programme a few years ago, where he featured, which led to the purchase of Sidewinder

Looking forward to hearing some more soon !

The film ‘ I Called Him Morgan’  is a great piece of film making and well worth a watch. 

I really like Sidewinder, Cornbread, Candy and most of Lee Morgan’s work but it was the very atmospheric intro ISONL the opening track to the record that initially got me into Lee Morgan and so it’s still a favorite. 

Hard to believe he was only 18, 19 when he first burst onto that scene. 

I gravitate toward the pretty ones - how about one you do not see often, Clark Terry: Color Changes. Recorded in 1960 and released in 1961 by Candid. 5 out the 7 compositions are by Terry. Nice spacey arrangements and interplay:

Clark Terry - trumpet, flugelhorn

Yusef Lateef - tenor saxophone, flute, English horn, oboe

Seldon Powell - tenor saxophone, flute

Julius Watkins - French horn

Jimmy Knepper - trombone

Tommy Flanagan - piano

Budd Johnson - piano (track 6)

Joe Benjamin - bass

Ed Shaughnessy - drums

https://youtu.be/Y5pW5IhMaP8

Good thread this - I only have a couple of his albums - 'Live at The Village Gate' & on LP - 'Portraits'

Will get round to investigating a few more soon !

Listening to 'Live at The Village Gate' - just noticed it was recorded when he was almost 70 - sounds great !

Finally got around to listsening to Clark Terry - Colour Changes this evening and another great choice I really love that big 60's sound and can imagine all of the young and beautifully dressed Modernists listening to this before heading out on a beautiful Lambretta LD 150.  Great Choice BRILLIANT I had heard of Clark Terry before reading about him in Miles Davis's autobiography last year and after that had only really listened to In Orbit that he did with Monk a couple of years before this. Definetly saved in my favourites for a more in depth listen.

Trumpeter again I’m afraid ?!

Dusko Goykovich

1st bought the LP Celebration years ago and enjoyed it, got some of his CDs now as well.

Perhaps not challenging enough for some on here, but I do enjoy his playing, and find it really enjoyable late night music, certainly very different from Lee Morgan, Clark Terry & Miles !

Dusko Goykovich    - Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Jimmy Woode         - Bass

Al Levitt          - Drums

Recorded in 1987

al9315 posted:

Trumpeter again I’m afraid ?!

Dusko Goykovich

1st bought the LP Celebration years ago and enjoyed it, got some of his CDs now as well.

Perhaps not challenging enough for some on here, but I do enjoy his playing, and find it really enjoyable late night music, certainly very different from Lee Morgan, Clark Terry & Miles !

Dusko Goykovich    - Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Jimmy Woode         - Bass

Al Levitt          - Drums

Recorded in 1987

Very good trumpeter. This one is my favourite:

I'll throw in one from 1966 - The Duško Gojković Sextet Featuring Sal Nistico And Carl Fontana - Belgrade Blues

https://www.youtube.com/result...ade+blues+%281966%29

the tracks are also available on a CD and on Qobuz as a combo with another nice session from 1961 with Kenny Clarke

Duško Gojković*, Kenny Clarke - Internacionalni Jazz Oktet Duška Gojkovića Sa Keni Klarkom

https://www.discogs.com/Du%C5%...lues/release/4616637

Bob the Builder posted:

Seeing as seakayaker has not yet posted his choice I will post one of my own and let him choose one later.

Lee Morgan - Search for the New Land - Blue Note ( 841690 -1966

Although released in July of 1966 (as England were winning the World Cup) it had actually been recorded over two years before in February 1964.  All five tracks were written by Morgan and IMO is a better than his  bigger hit The SideWinder which though released before was actually recorded after SFTNL .

Side Men

Have a Listen and tell me your views.

Some great modal jazz on that one, especially the title track. Another great modal tune is "Tanya" from Dexter Gordan's "One Flight Up".

Dusko is extremely accomplished player who I may never have heard of if not for this thread so thanks al9315 and the record in question was very easy on the ears and ultimately listenable

but then I found 'Soul Connection' a 1993 record with Eddie Gomez and Tommy Flanagan which is on a whole different level and I will be looking out for a copy.

Back to Celebration it most certainly deserves another listen lets see if it can grab me after another listen.

Thanks Bob.

I'm going for this one:

Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival by John Handy.

A wonderful live performance with a superb vibe and which is propulsive, emotional, soulful. Great solos from all the band and the blend of sax, violin and guitar is irresistible. Over 40 years on it still sounds wonderful.

I'll put in my 2 bits worth for Ellington, such a master of melody and mood. Jazz party is a double LP

In his biography when one man left and a new one came in he'd write parts for the new guy, didn't want him to sound like the previous player.  Gave the a few notes or chords and let them have at it so it was always fresh.

I have about 100 CD/LPs of Chet Baker - somehow missed this one. I do enjoy quite a lot of his later playing 70s/80s so will hunt this one out to buy

"The Touch of Your Lips"  is great, I have the LP, but like most Steeplechase discs, a bit hard to find (particularly at a reasonable price)

"Live In Bologna" recorded in 1985 is well worth a listen with Chet (t), Philip Catherine (g), Jean Louis Rasinfosse (b)

Add Reply

Likes (0)